Tikka T3

TexasTB

I just picked up a Tikka T3 308 and I will be converting it to a 7mm-08 with a Bartlein 8.7 twist .284 barrel. It is my first Tikka. Does the action need to be blueprinted like a Rem 700?

Thanks, TB

Usually not.....my smith evaluated mine and could have charged me for it, but said it didn't need to be blueprinted. Mine shoots great.

I've had the same results with a rebarrel. Had a new barrel put onto an early production T3 and the smith said there was no need to true the action. It shoots better now than ever before, and I can't see anywhere that any truing would benefit. Just get a quality barrel and a good chamber, and it'll shoot.

A certain amount of trial and error I suppose. I've bought 2, and from the factory they shot excellent.

If it aint broke don't fix it.

Tikka's work great for a semi custom budget build. They have a good factory trigger that is easy to tune, they are extremely true for a factory action, and they aren't very expensive when you don't have to buy an aftermarket trigger or get the action trued.

I have 2 sitting in the safe right now. A magnum bolt face and a standard. Thinking of doing a 338ss on the magnum. I would have a lot of extra room in the mag so I'm also thinking possibly a 338-300wsm. I would imagine they would have equal performance but the brass and dies are way less for the 338-300wsm. And I kind of want something in .257 to try out those 131 blackjacks. So maybe a 25-06.

The only downside I have ran across is the mag is short for cartridges like a 300wm.

I have one that has KP and Lilja barrels, and the other has a rock creek prefit barrel from patriot valley. All the barrels are excellent. The PVA barrel was simply screwed on and headspaced, shoots crazy good.

isn't there a way to put on a different mag box and/or bottom metal so you can seat out farther? seems like I've read about a lot of folks doing this.......

I think there are two options. Redsnake and mountain tactical. One of them gets you to 3.5 the other to 3.6. If I remember correctly the longer one you have to modify the action a little.

That is still a little short for a 300 wm with a 215 seated correctly. I could be wrong on all of this because I'm going off memory.

Cdi bottom metal using AI mags you are stuck with the 30-06 magazine. Kind of sucks since I learned most of this after I had a custom barrel installed and manners stick. Single feed 215's but I'm able to mag feed berger 210 hunters with a .100" jump. Not ideal but acceptable.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.