Tikka 270 Does Not Like Ballistics Tip Style Ammo

Maybe my new Tikka T3X .270 doesn't have the best crown or throat. I also am wondering if the more rounds I send down range it might start to like boat tail styles. The distances I plan on shooting ~400 yards boat tails aren't a necessity.
If your Tikka T3X is anything like mine it probably has a long throat, so if the Flat base vs. Boat tail article is correct, that may explain why. Personally however, I have experienced both good and not so good results with both, although there are many other factors involved.

Maybe my new Tikka T3X .270 doesn't have the best crown or throat. I also am wondering if the more rounds I send down range it might start to like boat tail styles. The distances I plan on shooting ~400 yards boat tails aren't a necessity.
Find what works best and go with that. Sounds like the Hornady Whitetails are working well for you.

I would suggest you take a look at the Berger twist rate stability calculator. The variable you are dealing with may be the twist rate and/or the length of your bullet in relation to where it sets off the lands. The Berger Twist rate stability calculator may help you narrow down the choice of bullets. It lets you manually enter bullet variables. It helped me with my T3x 300WM. It would not group 200gr ELDx AT ALL. Using the calculator I narrowed it down to Berger Hybrid and Barnes TSX in a lighter bullet (165 gr) because my twist rate was 1:11. I chose the Barnes TSX 165 gr because I like the weight retention. Maybe this helps.

Like many here I'm sure, this is the reason I started reloading. I have a savage 114 that was originally a 30-06 that I ended up buying a prefit for in 6.5x55. I tried every factory ammo available for the cartridge and the only one that would shoot was PPU 120 bthp at a meager 2720, that shot solid .75 groups. The next best was HSM 130 Berger VLD ammo that was listed at 2768 (found out later it was actually doing 2890 in my 24" barrel). That ammo shot 1" one day then 2-3" the next. I just wasn't satisfied. When I started reloading, I was able to find sub 1" loads with about a dozen different bullets. With the same 130 HVLDs loaded .015 off the lands (factory HSM was .135 off) I was able to get consistent .5 Moa accuracy at 2950. When I saw what reloading can do, I never looked back.

When I shoot Federal Premium 150 grain Sierra Gamekings and Hornady American Whitetail 130 grain Interlocks, it shoots sub MOA.
There's your answer, use the ammo that's accurate in your rifle.
If your using factory you don't get to choose what works.
Nothing wrong with the crown or throat of that Tikka's as you have demonstrated work well with the right ammo.

Other than that start reloading!
It's the only way to get set projectiles to work.

My T3x in 270win shot much better with partitions and Interlocs than SST or Accubond. On the other hand, it's been effortless to get T3xs in 06 and 270wsm to shoot accubonds into 1/2". I've got two Mark Vs that clearly prefer flat base bullets to boat tails in some weights. I think it's a rifle by rifle thing.

Federal Premium with 150 grain Sierra Game Kings. Wish I knew the minimum velocity for reliable expansion for the Gamekings.

Attachments

• 47D6498C-45FB-4C26-968B-E808D4D3EF14.jpeg
    47D6498C-45FB-4C26-968B-E808D4D3EF14.jpeg
    752.1 KB · Views: 112
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.