Tikka 270 Does Not Like Ballistics Tip Style Ammo

General RE LEE

I do not reload so I am limited to shooting factory ammunition out of my new Tikka .270. So far it did not like the 145 grain ELD-X Precision Hunter nor the 136 grain Federal Precision Hunter whatsoever. I am talking 2-3" groups.

When I shoot Federal Premium 150 grain Sierra Gamekings and Hornady American Whitetail 130 grain Interlocks, it shoots sub MOA.

Has anyone seen a rifle go from 2-3" groups with ballistic tip ammo to MOA to even sub MOA with soft tip ammo? It's the craziest thing I've ever seen. I did notice the Federal and Hornady soft tip ammo were both seated deeper into the case than the Terminal Ascent and ELD-X.

I have yet to dial in an ELD-X load that matches others although many dial them in with great success. That doesn't mean the host of others like the Barnes TTSX, Hornady GMX, SST or Sierra Gamechanger or others will not work in your Tikka. They are all different beasts in slight ways. Please let us know how it goes.

I have yet to dial in an ELD-X load that matches others although many dial them in with great success. That doesn't mean the host of others like the Barnes TTSX, Hornady GMX, SST or Sierra Gamechanger or others will not work in your Tikka. They are all different beasts in slight ways. Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you and will do. The challenge for a non reloader is the expense and availability of trying different ammo. The Hornady American Whitetail 130 grain Interlock clover leafed at 100 yards so based off the numbers it should be serviceable out to 400 yards.

Thank you and will do. The challenge for a non reloader is the expense and availability of trying different ammo. The Hornady American Whitetail 130 grain Interlock clover leafed at 100 yards so based off the numbers it should be serviceable out to 400 yards.

I love the consistency of Hornady products so it is no surprise that your rifle likes this ammo.
My Tikka T3 lite was being finicky and did not like the 130gn GMX recipe that my wife's Ruger 77MkII loved. I tried the Superformance 130gn SST off the shelf stuff and right away shot excellent groups.

I love the consistency of Hornady products so it is no surprise that your rifle likes this ammo.
My Tikka T3 lite was being finicky and did not like the 130gn GMX recipe that my wife's Ruger 77MkII loved. I tried the Superformance 130gn SST off the shelf stuff and right away shot excellent groups.

I'd like to try the Superformance if I can find it

My .270 Tikka T3 Lite SS also shoots A+ groups with Hornady's 130gr SST ammo :)

I've seen many rifles that didn't like boat tails but shot flat bases great. I doubt it's the tip giving it fits. Just doesn't like the shape of ogive or bearing surface or base. Every barrel is it's own thing and just likes what it liked. You found a load it likes so at least you will be hunting. There are many other tipped bullets to try.
Shep

I've seen many rifles that didn't like boat tails but shot flat bases great. I doubt it's the tip giving it fits. Just doesn't like the shape of ogive or bearing surface or base. Every barrel is it's own thing and just likes what it liked. You found a load it likes so at least you will be hunting. There are many other tipped bullets to try.
Shep

Yes sir my research has led me to believe it is the boat tails I've tried so far. It does like the Sierra Gameking which is a boat tail

Shep

Interesting read and in tandem with what you were saying. My new Tikka might prefer flat based bullets.

Typically it's a barrel that is bit loose for some reason or doesn't have a great crown that will shoot not so well with boat tails and better with flat base. My tikka 270 does well with ballistic tips but I haven't worked with eld-x with either it or my son's tikka in 7rem. I am running eld-x in my younger son's 6.5 creed and my 7rum. I still have some 30 cal 200 eld-x on the shelf I have zero use for as the 4 30's I own do not seem to like them; I've gone through 100 of them trying. My 7rum was a fluke; it has an 8" twist Brux barrel on it and was chewing up every 175gr+ match bullet I tried and causing jacket failures. I drop in 175 eld-x pills and H50BMG and she settled down and started tossing 1" groups at 200. The 6.5 creed has shot the 143 eld-x since before we took ownership of it.
edited for clarity...

Last edited:
Maybe my new Tikka T3X .270 doesn't have the best crown or throat. I also am wondering if the more rounds I send down range it might start to like boat tail styles. The distances I plan on shooting ~400 yards boat tails aren't a necessity.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.