.308 Savage 10FP - What ammo does yours like?

comacho

I'm just trying to get a consensus here. I know that each rifle is different, as far as the ammo that works best with it, but I would like to see if there is a pattern that is noticeable regarding the Savage .308 10FP.

What ammo does yours like best.

thanks,
comacho

Comacho,

Winchester brass
F210M primers
Hodgdon Varget powder
Nosler 165 BTs seated @ .015" off the lands

Shoots @ .5 all day. This load works well in many rifles, and it gives you an excellent hunting load in addition to being a super plinking/accuracy load.
wink.gif

Speedbump is right about starting at .15 off the lands. Most people have a misconception about shooting on the lands. but they don't realize that the chambers and the throat do not wear equally. they do it oblong. So even if you do cram it on the lands the bullet still won't get that straight "jump"
The only way to fix that is to turn necks.
Mine likes 43 grains of imr 4895 with 168gr
berger vld's.

I haven't tried everything (yet), but mine LOVES 168 grain SMK's with 48grains of H380 seated about .005 off the lands. This load shoots .3" to .5" all day.

It also likes 190 grain SMK's with 41 grains of Varget at about the same free-bore. I get the same groups from either at 100 yards. Both loads are started with Federal 210M primers, in Lapua cases. I've played with 178 grain A-max's but I haven't found a load that will shoot as well as the SMK's.

I get a std. dev. of 9 fps with the 168's and 16 fps with the 190's. Please let me know what load you find works with your rifle. As a whole I would say look for hot compressed loads with a moderately slow powder charger for the round. Two friends shoot similar Savage tactical rifles and theirs seem to like similar loads. With my 26" barrel I get muzzle velocities at least 100 fps faster than the published load data.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.