Savage 10FP

KSB209

I have an old Savage 10FP in 308 which was my first "high power" rifle (prior it was all 22s). I got pretty good with that gun out to 300 yards but now the barrel is shot out, has some signs of rust, and accuracy is all but gone. Is it worth a rebarrel? It was around $300 when I bought it probably 20+ years ago. Is the action worth it to put a new stock and barrel on it or sell it? If I sold it I would let the buyer know the condition.
No point in keeping a rifle if I will never shot again in its present condition.

How many rounds through your barrel? I've seen lots of rifles that just needed complete cleaning to strip mine the copper and carbon.
If you like the rifle, rebarrel it! Barrels may be a little harder to come by in the present shortages but I have rebarreled a ton of Savages. Almost every one of them ended up shooting even better.

Any fool can rebarrel it in their garage with only a bench vise and a $20 savage barrel nut tool. Aftermarket drop-in barrels have gotten just stupid good over the last decade or so turning millions of otherwise normal people into owners of rebarrelled savage rifles. A factory 10FP is only going to get better with a $300 aftermarket pipe. You might be able to pick up a .308 take-off barrel for a song on Ebay too if you just want to go back to a factory savage .308 barrel.

I cannot say with any accuracy how many rounds I have down the pipe but if I had to guess I would say close to 10,000. It was my only rifle for 10 years and I was shooting a lot more back then trying to figure out what I was doing. I'm also going to bet my cleaning methods back then may had cause some damage to the bore as well.

go to ebay and for a few hundred bucks you can get a new barrel and an stock and have a new gun. I just picked up a never fired 223 take off for less than 100 bucks. plenty of 6.5 creedmore and 308 barrels available

Happiness is a worn out barrel! That is an achievement. I would say you got all the goody out of that barrel and probably learned a lot on the journey. It would be interesting to run a bore scope down that barrel.
If you are still invested in this rifle relationship a new barrel will add a spark.
Honestly I can't think of ever replacing a barrel that did not result in improvement. Many of the better quality barrels are simply amazing.
Only hard part is sometimes just getting the original factory nut loose. I use an electric paint strip heat gun on the nut. Then a healthy whack on a good quality barrel nut wrench with a heavy dead blow hammer. I also use a homemade barrel vise with oak inserts lined with lead strips and rosin. I go a little overkill but one and done every time so far. Opinions and methods vary.

I cannot say with any accuracy how many rounds I have down the pipe but if I had to guess I would say close to 10,000. It was my only rifle for 10 years and I was shooting a lot more back then trying to figure out what I was doing. I'm also going to bet my cleaning methods back then may had cause some damage to the bore as well.
Yeah, that's about done for a .308. Heck, it's a little more than I'd think it would have gone. Congratulations. Burning out a .308win barrel takes dedication.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.