Aftermarket stock for Savage 10FP .308

megastink

I am trying to find an aftermarket stock that can replace the *** tupperware on my Savage 10FP. I have been considering Bell and Carlson's Tactical Medalist, but I've read a few reviews about contact with barrel and stock. I dont NOT want to spend more that $300, with $250 being my REAL maximum (I will spend $300 if the deal is too sweet).

I want something with Aluminum bedding, vertical grip is prefered, and a high cheek (I can always install a cheek piece). Synthetic over wood, but wood not out of the question. Thumbholes will also be considered.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking at? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

-Megagun)

Go to stockadestockes.coom. He offers high quality stocks in 3 different finishes in varying prices. The varmint/tactical is a great option and you can get the unfinished model for $235. They are done very well, so you don't need to do a lot finish it. Paint it up and your good to go. My cousin has one and I will get one next time. I have the Medalist A2 B&C stock. They are nice solid rugged stocks. My barrel has plenty of room under it. What I did have to do is clean some of the fiberglass back off the aluminum bedding block, and free float the rear tang. It works really well. I would suggest the stockade stock though.

Here's mine:
Johnspics3-10-11026.jpg

Christmas2011005.jpg

Tank

I am trying to find an aftermarket stock that can replace the *** tupperware on my Savage 10FP. I have been considering Bell and Carlson's Tactical Medalist, but I've read a few reviews about contact with barrel and stock. I dont NOT want to spend more that $300, with $250 being my REAL maximum.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking at? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

-Megagun)
For me the best bang for the buck is the Chote tactical. Flat bottom fore end, 2.45 wide, and a bipod stud slot. Weighs about 3 1/2 lbs. aluminum action blocks. Very stiff doesn't want to flex. All for $219 shipped. Combatstocks.com

The 4 sling swivel studs are mounted on shafts that go through the stock. 2 on the left side, 2 on the right side. Left handed, right handed, you know the drill. The stock for my Rem LA is different in that the front sling swivel shaft is visible in the barrel channel. My heavy barrel is one inch thick near the front of the stock and hits that shaft.

Even in Rem SA stock, that shaft is not visible. So this problem will probably not affect you. Either way the factory was very easy to deal with, even offered my money back.

Just something to think about...lightbulb

This is more of a deer rifle that will be used out to 600 yards. I'm sure the Choate is a great stock, but at 3.5#, its a little heavy to lug around the woods (I still have to WALK to my spots, and I do stalk sometimes).

Stockade may not be a bad deal. Maybe their Elk Stalker or even their Woodchuck with an adjustable cheek piece.

Does anyone know what they mean when they say "fill", in reference to finishing the stock? Steps are: Sand, Fill, Paint. Anyone?

Thanks for all the help!

-Megagun)

Does anyone know what they mean when they say "fill", in reference to finishing the stock? Steps are: Sand, Fill, Paint. Anyone?

Thanks for all the help!

-Megagun)

There are some pin holes from tiny air bubbles when the stock is pressed in the forms. You need to use bondo to fill this holes and sand them. The initial sanding helps these hole more visible. Some of the sanding may even remove some of the holes that are not as deep. There really isn't a whole lot of finishing work to these stocks. The first sanding also adds some tooth to the stock for the paint to stick. You want to use a 150-200 grit as you do not want to remove a lot of material. Your bondo coats are going to be supper thin. You don't want to apply them to thick, or it will be a pain to sand it all off.

I think a member here by the screen name of joseph has pictures of a stockade stock he refinished and shows the before bondo, and during bondo stage. Use the search function for his name.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.