Tikka 270 Does Not Like Ballistics Tip Style Ammo

you might not find the accuracy you are looking for without handloading, it seems it already likes the sierra boat tail

Thank you and will do. The challenge for a non reloader is the expense and availability of trying different ammo. The Hornady American Whitetail 130 grain Interlock clover leafed at 100 yards so based off the numbers it should be serviceable out to 400 yards.
Before I started reloading, I was in similar situation. Someone recommended Copper Creek and I tried him. His starter pack saves so much time finding a great load and then he can load them up for you. Starter pack consists of 5 different color coated loads he selects based on your gun details. after you shoot groups of each color, tell him the one that shoots best and order 100 rounds.
Cost is probably cheaper if not equivalent to buying multiple boxes of ammo until you find THE one. Then you have to stock up on the one. This route just saves so much time and barrel life.

Before I started reloading, I was in similar situation. Someone recommended Copper Creek and I tried him. His starter pack saves so much time finding a great load and then he can load them up for you. Starter pack consists of 5 different color coated loads he selects based on your gun details. after you shoot groups of each color, tell him the one that shoots best and order 100 rounds.
Cost is probably cheaper if not equivalent to buying multiple boxes of ammo until you find THE one. Then you have to stock up on the one. This route just saves so much time and barrel life.

Thanks. I may try this with another rifle. Thankfully I believe I found a factory load that works.

As far as Tikkas go I have only ran across 1 that didn't shoot good. There was a serious defect in the last 1/2 inch of the barrel. Literally there was a section with no rifling. I cut it off and recrowned it and all was good. I build what I think are perfect chambers and crowns on match grade barrels and most will shoot the bullet you want to use but some just don't like the bullet you like. Just the way it is. Doesn't mean anything is wrong with your rifle.
Shep

It sounds like it is not "ballistic tipped boat tail bullets" in general but just those particular ones. Some rifles just don't like some specific bullets. For example, I have two different makes of barrels in two ARs in 6.5 Grendel. One is a BCA and the to other is an Oden Works. Neither of them would shoot the Hornady 123 SST factory ammo better than 2 to 3 inches. I tried this bullet in many different hand load combos and the best group I could get was about 1 1/2" out of the Oden Works barrel. Both rifles will shoot numerous other bullets sub MOA. I have read of others that their rifle would not shoot the 123 SST bullet also but others it shoots sub MOA all day. I have a Shilen barrel 25-06 that does not prefer boat tail bullets but will shoot bug holes with flat base. Those 130 gr Hornady will get the job done with no worry just put it where it needs to go.

I've seen many rifles that didn't like boat tails but shot flat bases great. I doubt it's the tip giving it fits. Just doesn't like the shape of ogive or bearing surface or base. Every barrel is it's own thing and just likes what it liked. You found a load it likes so at least you will be hunting. There are many other tipped bullets to try.
Shep
Gunsmith I trust told me that IF the crown on a barrel is not absolutely perfect, boat tails will shoot poorly before flat base bullets show the change. Actually makes some sense, physics wise...

my brother had a Browning .270 that hated ballistic tips (factory)...but shot Partitions lights out. Few years back, when the Tips first came out. Since I started reloading..."most" bullets can be made to shoot. Had a new T/C .270 last year that hated every bullet and load placed in it...wound up back at the factory with chamber issues. Good luck in your search...some guns are just plain finicky...

General RE LEE,
You may give Federal Fusion 130gn a try. Although inexpensive, these things can fly and when my friend got into hunting with a SS T3 lite, he started with those and they are so accurate he has tried nothing else. The bonding has been proven tough enough for elk year after year. Just a thought...

I do not reload so I am limited to shooting factory ammunition out of my new Tikka .270. So far it did not like the 145 grain ELD-X Precision Hunter nor the 136 grain Federal Precision Hunter whatsoever. I am talking 2-3" groups.

When I shoot Federal Premium 150 grain Sierra Gamekings and Hornady American Whitetail 130 grain Interlocks, it shoots sub MOA.

Has anyone seen a rifle go from 2-3" groups with ballistic tip ammo to MOA to even sub MOA with soft tip ammo? It's the craziest thing I've ever seen. I did notice the Federal and Hornady soft tip ammo were both seated deeper into the case than the Terminal Ascent and ELD-X.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.