Tight wads and targets challenge

StumpyJohnson

Some buddies and I are doing a friendly challenge amongst ourselves...I'd love some input on the rules and the idea...

2022/2023 Tight wads and targets Challenge

The "Tight Wads and Targets" Challenge is a competition to promote, showcase, and teach marksmanship, amateur gunsmithing, scrounging and resource management through the process of rifle building. Once assembled the rifle and associate ammunition will be used to compete, demonstrate the aforementioned skills, foster learning, and promote firearm safety.
What follows are the rules of participation to be ratified by signatures from all participants.

1. A Rifle and 50 rounds of ammunition for the rifle built shall be constructed with a $1500 Cost cap.
  2. Receipts verified for all pieces and parts. As outlined below.
  3. No receipts from a friend or family accepted, purchase through neutral retailers and private 3rd party's purchases may be verified with screen captures of online negotiations.
  4. If you already have a thing and use it, and have no receipt, we'll take the highest price of a 10 sample group.
  5. DROS Fees and FFL fees are not counted towards $1500 cap, sales tax, shipping, credit card fees to count towards cap.
  6. Due to Primer and powder availability, your first 2 lbs of powder and 200 primers (Mix and Match allowed for Both) do not count towards the $1500 cap.
  7. You may opt to purchase 100 factory rounds instead of bringing powder/primers to the table
  8. You may not take advantage of both the powder/primer and factory ammo exemptions.
  9. The first event requires 50 rounds from this initial batch.
  10. Reloading press, case lube, funnels, scales, etc. do not count towards the $1500 cap.
  11. Dies, Bushings, Brass and Bullets count towards $1500 cap.
  12. Rifles purchased new must have the barrel removed from the action, and at least one modification made, to qualify.
  13. Front and rear bags or shooting pads do not count towards the $1500 cap. Anything mechanically attached to the rifle will.
  14. Lead Sleds or similar devices are allowed in the sighting-in process, but not in competition.
  15. Gunsmithing Costs count towards $1500 cap.
  16. Any tooling required for assembly is not included in $1500 cap.
  17. Unanimous decisions can change/remove any rule at any time.
  18. 4/20/23 we gather to certify all entrants and define our first event. If all entrants are prepared to ratify sooner, a unanimous decision can change this date.
  19. No battery/electrically powered ANYTHING during competition.
  20. Rangefinders/Chronographs are legal during load development/sight in period.
  21. New and Used components, parts, and pieces are all legal, accompanied with valid receipts.
  22. You cannot choose a cartridge you already have a rifle chambered in, reload for, or own dies for.
The first challenge (The Spenceville Cup) will engage targets of unknown size and range under a time limit. Max Range 550yds.

SAFETY

1. If you rechamber, rebarrel, custom ream, or do anything that affects headspace you must provide a go no go gauge test verification.
  2. Go/no go gauge set cost is not included in the $1500 cap.
  3. If you modify a trigger the rifle must pass 2/3 "bump" tests.

OPTIONAL/POSSIBLE RULES

Going under/over your budget results in time penalties/bonuses during the "Spenceville Cup"

I, , certify with my signature that I accept these rules and seek to participate free of ill intent, and I promise to conduct myself in a sportsmanlike manner like the f****** human being I am.

Signature

Last edited:
Here are my two cents on your idea

I don't see anything about optics in the rules. Are optics included in the total? If not, is there a price cap for optics? Go no go gauges are not necessary for the rules, lots of wildcatting happens without gauges. They just need to fireform brass to avoid case head separations. What's the practical value of forbidding rangefinders in an unknown distance shoot? I get the idea of teaching milling a target to calculate distance I just don't see any practical use for it. Does anyone who hunts outside a tree stand hunt without a rangefinder anymore?

Here are my two cents on your idea

I don't see anything about optics in the rules. Are optics included in the total? If not, is there a price cap for optics? Go no go gauges are not necessary for the rules, lots of wildcatting happens without gauges. They just need to fireform brass to avoid case head separations. What's the practical value of forbidding rangefinders in an unknown distance shoot? I get the idea of teaching milling a target to calculate distance I just don't see any practical use for it. Does anyone who hunts outside a tree stand hunt without a rangefinder anymore?
Optics are included the $1500 cap. I think you answered your own question regarding the rangefinders. This isn't a out being practical or hunting.

I appreciate your comments about go no go guages. No one will be wildcatting for $1500 most likely.

I think so.

Bought a Tikka factory fluted barrel here in 6.5 prc. Buy a Tikka t3x in 300 win mag, slap a $300 arken scope on it. Bed to factory stock. Cheap rings and bipod

Get the dies and once fired brass. Comes in under $1500 barely.

1664116166017.png

Here's the build...There's gonna be a factory tikka barrel for sale pretty cheap soon...