Thread lock Muzzle Brake with blue Loc-tite???

Sending156s

yesterday while testing some loads my POI had moved 1" to the left. At the same time I noticed the custom brake was a couple of threads loose. Since I'm not planning on switching back and forth with a can would you recommend blue loc-tite on threads?
Rifle: 300 WM
Scope: new FFP 5x25 ATACR Nightforce. I believe scope is ok.
Thanks for feedback!

Muzzle brakes properly installed and torqued should not need any thread Lockers. In fact I prefer to use an anti seize for removal on occasion where cleaning is needed and properly torquing.

Ported brakes can be cleaned in place most of the time with the use of Q Tips and bore solvent. Drilled brakes (Small round holes) need frequent and thorough cleaning to remove carbon that can reduce the brakes performance over time.

The anti seize make this possible and helps prevent thread wear over time.

The only brakes that i have seen come loose have been dissimilar metals. dry assembly and poor shoulder alignment from hand sanding to time the brake in.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Muzzle brakes properly installed and torqued should not need any thread Lockers. In fact I prefer to use an anti seize for removal on occasion where cleaning is needed and properly torquing.

Ported brakes can be cleaned in place most of the time with the use of Q Tips and bore solvent. Drilled brakes (Small round holes) need frequent and thorough cleaning to remove carbon that can reduce the brakes performance over time.

The anti seize make this possible and helps thread wear over time.

The only brakes that i have seen come loose have been dissimilar metals. dry assembly and poor shoulder alignment from hand sanding to time the brake in.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

This ^^^^^. Take it back to the smith and have him put it on correctly, or find a new smith.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts