Stake or Loc-tite

NoMoreOldNo7

I have an old Remington model 512 .22 rifle. It's a beautiful, very accurate rifle and has been in the family since new. Lately I've been having a problem with it feeding properly (it's a tube feed system) and I found a thread telling me how to adjust the carrier and it cleared up the problem.

Now for the question...........

Once the screw is adjusted and you work the bolt a few times the screw moves and it no longer feeds. The problem is corrected by staking the screw (using a punch to score the head of the screw locking it in place). Should I stake the screw or use Loc-tite on the threads? I know there is a couple different types of Loc-tite, one that can be used if you are planning on taking the screw back out later.

Rather than messing up the rifle I thought I would run it pass here so what do you think? This is not a biggie but asking a simple question is much better than trying to correct a mistake.

I have an old Remington model 512 .22 rifle. It's a beautiful, very accurate rifle and has been in the family since new. Lately I've been having a problem with it feeding properly (it's a tube feed system) and I found a thread telling me how to adjust the carrier and it cleared up the problem.

Now for the question...........

Once the screw is adjusted and you work the bolt a few times the screw moves and it no longer feeds. The problem is corrected by staking the screw (using a punch to score the head of the screw locking it in place). Should I stake the screw or use Loc-tite on the threads? I know there is a couple different types of Loc-tite, one that can be used if you are planning on taking the screw back out later.

Rather than messing up the rifle I thought I would run it pass here so what do you think? This is not a biggie but asking a simple question is much better than trying to correct a mistake.

here's two ways to get the job done.

* buy a small bottle of wicking Loctite (it's a different animal from the other stuff) make you adjustments, and put a drop of the stuff on the screw head. You also might try putting clear fingernail polish on the screw threads right before you make you adjustments, but the Loctite is far better.

* Vibratite is really good for small fine threaded screws, and has about thirty to forty minutes of working time.

I would never stake or even crush the screw thread (that's another way). When you remove the screw again it will probably damage the rest of the threads
gary

Thanks Gary for chiming in on this one. The thread (on another site) where I found the info regarding the carrier adjustment most of the responses were about staking the screw because that's the way it was originally done. I wasn't to keen on that approach and wanted to check my options. There is no serial number on this rifle (manufactured before they started stamping on them) and it's in prime condition, my father was the original owner so the last thing I want to do is screw it up.

Thanks Gary for chiming in on this one. The thread (on another site) where I found the info regarding the carrier adjustment most of the responses were about staking the screw because that's the way it was originally done. I wasn't to keen on that approach and wanted to check my options. There is no serial number on this rifle (manufactured before they started stamping on them) and it's in prime condition, my father was the original owner so the last thing I want to do is screw it up.

I would try clear finger nail polish to see if it will hold. But if it dosn't, then I would look at wicking Loctite or Vibratite.. 222 will work as well, but you have to work very fast with it. Donot use 242!
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.