To 35 Whelen or Ai or 35 Newton

Coldfinger

I've got an FN 98 commercial action. I was going to do some sort of 277 on it but 35Whelen keeps coming to mind. How much trouble would it be to get to feed reliably. Also 35 WhelenAI and 35 newton have been pulling my earlobes! I'd kinda like to keep barrel to 22" max for a good old fashioned PA clear cut rifle! Thanks in advance.

Hope this isn't too late. I have had a 35 whelan AI for decades and know there is no brass problems with feeding etc. if you want to get crazy you can load it to near 375 H&H ballistics (I have one also), but realistically is a pretty incredible cartridge in terms of making things dead in a hurry!

I've got an FN 98 commercial action. I was going to do some sort of 277 on it but 35Whelen keeps coming to mind. How much trouble would it be to get to feed reliably. Also 35 WhelenAI and 35 newton have been pulling my earlobes! I'd kinda like to keep barrel to 22" max for a good old fashioned PA clear cut rifle! Thanks in advance.
I have built both...you'll need larger bolt face for Newton-it's less practical (dies, brass, etc) than the Whelen, but it takes a cold hearted soul not to smile when it's in your hands!
For 22", the Whelen wins.

I believe I know where you are headed in this. Whether clearcut, or in the dense woods near the clearcut, here is my experience. My 35 Whelan A.I. was given me by my uncle who had P.O. Ackley drill out a standard 30-06 Springfield barrel ( yes, I am name dropping). When completed the rifle, with no changes, held five in the magazine and one in the chamber. There are no feeding problems with this A.I. case. You end up with a rifle that can send 1,500 grains of lead at your target from one loading with 250 grain bullets. With the spitzer 250's they are only 3 inches lower at 300 than the 180 grain bullets from a 30-06 . (200 zero) How many hunters in the woods could take advantage of a 3 inch drop at 300 yards when aiming in a hunting situation? Well designed bullets available now can make this rifle perform a myriad of challenges, newer recoil pads make recoil a non issue with this cartridge. Save the money to be spent for custom work on the 35 Newton and spend it on slicking up your action so you can function it quickly, IF NEEDED. I have fired a 358 Norma magnum and that weapon was more severe than my .375 H&H, so bigger is not necessarily better. My present rifle was fabricated in 1959 and has only required a second shot in all this time for a bear in Ontario. I hope your results will be similar. Velocity is wonderful, but drops from the muzzle, bullet weight always remains the same!

WW