Factory or custom ?

J E Custom

This is well debated and there are many different views and opinions.

There are reasons for ether one depending on the use and owner.
This Video does a petty good job Of offering advantages and disadvantages of both. (Food for thought}.

J E CUSTOM

I thought it was a good perspective on both choice's and I thought he was unusually straightforward in presenting them. I spend roughly 1/2 of what it would cost for a custom to rebuild a factory rifle to what features I want and near as I can see equal accuracy. No it doesn't have the resale value of the custom, but I I never sell my rifles so moot point. No it doesn't have the name dropping features to feel warm and fuzzy over, but it achieves the same results and I put it together, not someone else. Goal achieving is different to everyone so my way may not appeal to all, accuracy and complete knowledge of my creation are top motivators.

Don't really care about other's opinions or even comments they may make about my rifles. The range for me is the great equalizer and that's where my enjoyment and equipment come into focus, hunting and shooting with your own designed and assembled rifle is quite a nice confident feeling.

Here's my take, I can put a gun together once I have collected all the components in about 3-4 days time in my own gun room. Thats fitting the new stock, installing the barrel and lug, headspacing, installing and adjusting the new trigger. My Smith will true the action face and barrelnut while I hang out, by end of week I've measured to lands and started loading rounds to begin load work. Several days of shooting and the entire package is breaking in and loads are dialing in as well. I'm usually 2 weeks on entire operation. 1/2 the money, a fraction of the time to produce exactly what I want, and if something doesn't work out to expectations I'm the one who quickly makes adjustments or changes not someone else. I've achieved this exact result now with 5 rifles, they all shoot from high ones to fours, anything that doesn't shoot under 1/2 MOA get tweaked till it does. Dave

Last edited:
Are you saying that you generally agree with this opinion? Just curious.

I agree that there can be different opinions and requirements and feel that they both have there place. There are different degrees of accuracy and quality with all forms of rifle assembly. a straight factory rifle out of the box may/can be accurate enough to do what the owner wants at a price he can afford. the pre chambered and threaded rifle kits for do it your self'ers
generally have better quality components but they are still at the mercy of the machine shop that did the work and the only real difference. they are basically factory rifles that were assembled by the owner instead of the factory. The custom rifle has the best chance of having great accuracy because of all the elements that go into it.

What I think/require May be different that Others and the Video is just "His" opinion and the fact that I feel that a custom rifle Is better, I don't want to discourage others that don't need the accuracy Potential of a well made custom. As a builder, I have the advantage of being able to build from scratch and have complete control of all component quality, and assembly precision.so My take of this will be different that Others.

The difference in the two is the assembly of parts and quality of some of the parts used. the good smith will normally use only the best barrels and components only after he has gone through each to verify there precision and quality. I have gone down this road and found that the best chance of a sub 1/4 MOA rifle is with the custom. There are actually 4 different levels of quality and precision rifles the factory rifles, the customer assembled rifles, the customer assembled rifle that a smith has tweaked/trued, and the complete custom that was built and assembled by a good smith.

None of this will 100 % guarantee great accuracy, but the odds are better and the chances of a brick are almost zero with a custom. I still have one pre chambered rifle and will replace the barrel when I can. it is the worst performer I own, and a mistake on my part to try it because of time restraints.

We are also In a different country/environment and availability may be different than here in the US so the considerations will be different. I like to see ever side of an opinion to evaluate my own opinion and stance of a subject so I always consider other opinions.

Energy and time spent influence many to take the lowest cost or the fastest time and the custom rifle will loose this battle every time. but many times it is worth it and very rewarding to own a custom rifle.

My opinion remains the same, I will only own custom rifles That I build my self, not that I am any better than other smiths but I know what goes into it and can expect of it. that alone decides for me. others choose based on there wants, needs and finances. And the video should give them a good perspective of what they want and can expect depending on which way they decide to go.

J E CUSTOM

Some of the off the shelf rifles these days are very good. Although actually finding one on the shelf can be a challenge, not all model's and brands are well represented locally. I have a couple of customs I would not have if some of todays rifles had been available many years back.

I tend towards too much imagination, and personalization chasing unique projects.

He makes good points. Ive known two guys with MOA brand rifles in 28 Nosler that missed a big buck at 480 yards and couldn't get them to shoot well at 500. These were $5k rifles! I can build myself 4 very nice LR rifles (total) for that much. Not a knock on MOA, just an example of guys trying to buy accuracy that they weren't capable of.

Last edited:
I use to shoot deer like that from a fence post in the back forty when I was a kid with my vangaurd 243, my kid too,started him prone.His rifle now.3-9 leupy

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts