Muzzle brake threading

pg637b

Is it true that 3/4 x 24 is the beat thread used for a muzzle brake? i saw some videos of a machinist showing how 5/8 x 24 thread bulges the bore at the threaded areas??? cornfussed!lightbulb

Depends on the bore dia. and od of the barrel. I try to use the biggest thread available so i dont remove any more metal than necessary. At the same time i like a shoulder thats large enough to torque the brake against and is able to align the brake with the bore. As the metal thins the bore can enlarge which at the muzzle is not helpfull for accuracy, this is true.

Depends on the bore dia. and od of the barrel. I try to use the biggest thread available so i dont remove any more metal than necessary. At the same time i like a shoulder thats large enough to torque the brake against and is able to align the brake with the bore. As the metal thins the bore can enlarge which at the muzzle is not helpfull for accuracy, this is true.

+1

I use the barrel manufactures recommended barrel wall thickness minimum .150 fro the minor
diameter of the thread to determine what thread to use.

Bigger is better.

There are no bad threads, just the wrong threads.

J E CUSTOM

+1

I use the barrel manufactures recommended barrel wall thickness minimum .150 fro the minor
diameter of the thread to determine what thread to use.

Bigger is better.

There are no bad threads, just the wrong threads.

J E CUSTOM

Jerry,

I must be going senile because I thought you did a muzzle brake threading post that was on a sticky.

Ed

Jerry,

I must be going senile because I thought you did a muzzle brake threading post that was on a sticky.

Ed

Your still ok ! Ha Ha

I did and just forgot where it was.

Hear is a link to the one I have on my web site. it is not maker specific, just a barrel guideline
for safety. (It is the last one under FAQs)

www.jecustom.com - FAQ's

J E CUSTOM

Ok Gentlemen; i have a factory remington varmint barrel with what i believe is a .840 at the muzzle on a .308. so am i correct that i can use a 3/4 x 24 thread for my brake thread.(least metal remover) and what brake? was looking APA'S Fat B*** gen 1 or 2.lightbulb

I have a 30 cal barrel that has a .840" muzzle. I used an Assassin brake with an 11/16" thread.

Jerry,

Ed

Your still ok ! Ha Ha

I did and just forgot where it was

Hear is a link to the one I have on my web site. it is not maker specific, just a barrel guideline
for safety. (It is the last one under FAQs)

www.jecustom.com - FAQ's

J E CUSTOM

Whew, thank God. Cheers! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.