Thoughts on Which single shot?

Oldschool280

Looking to add a single shot center fire rifle to the safe. Wondering who has experience with them. I have only handled the h&r handi rifle. I love the look of the ruger and t/c.
The plan would be a cartridge for longer range work. I currently have a reasonable spread of cartridges but nothing for really reaching out on larger stuff. . I currently own a 223 , 6.5 swede, 280 rem , 308, 7-08, 6mm rem, 7.5x55 375 h&h and of course a 30-06. I was thinking maybe a 7stw or 8mm rem. Although 7mm rem mag and 300 win mag are easily attainable. Any info or thoughts and field experiences are appreciated.

Savage only does single shot actions in Short Action, and the 338 Lapua. They used to do the 12/112 in various calibers as well as Remington with the 40X. May be able to find one in a caliber you want

280, I'm with HARPERC. The Ruger #1, but it's not offered in the calibers you require. I've seen older #1's in 7mm, you probably don't want a used rifle unless you'd consider a rebarrel.

I have a Ruger #1 stainless in 7 STW. It's my all time favorite rifle, I hunted with it for many years. They pop up used once in awhile

I had a Ruger #1 chambered in 300 ultra for a few years that shot very well. Killed some elk over 1000.
I also like the B-78's even better. ! They are very solid, quality built rifles. I pillar bedded the tang on my 30/375 S.I. and it really made it shoot.........Rich

You could go with a custom, and get a Defiance action. I've got a couple single shots from them.

I have a Ruger No.1B in 7rem mag. They are beautiful, but probably not what you want to rely upon for an expensive out of state hunt where long range cold bore accuracy is a make-or-break issue. Mine took a long run of load experimentation with different bullets and the addition of a Hick's Accurizer to bring it under 1 MOA. I like the rifle to be sure, but I don't take her on out of state hunting trips.

I have a # 1 in 223
T/C Encore's in 280 AI and 416 Rigby
T/C Contender carbine's in 20 Vartarg and 375 JDJ
I like the fact that they are several inches shorter than a bolt gun with the same barrel.
I have hunted with them all and the 280 AI was my main Elk and Deer gun for 5 years shoots 140 vld's .5 moa and have made kills to 700 yds

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts