single shot or repeater

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by snox801, May 14, 2014.

1. snox801

snox801 Well-Known Member

So sent out my check for a 338AM last week. So want some advice on these two options. Dont think I need the repeater, but dont want to spend this much money and end up wishing I did something different. Just looking for opinions.
    Thanks guys.

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Well-Known Member

I have 3 long range rifles. 338 RUM in Rem 700 sporter, 270 AM in Rem 721 and a 375 AM in a big Bat action.

All are single shots. Have taken yotes, mulies and elk. Single feed has not been a problem. Mainly because, so far, only that first shot was needed. :)

With a little practice a subsequent shots can be pretty rapid. The key is making the first cold bore shot count. Your getting a rig that will do it.

3. mtwarych

mtwarych Well-Known Member

I shoot a Ruger #1 and it is amazing how calming the idea is that this one shot must be good. With practice I can probably shoot 5 well aimed shots as quickly as a bolt action with a magazine can. If I could afford the type of rifle you are getting yourself, I would be happy with a single shot.

4. snox801

Hey thanks for the replies I was planning on the one shot deal, but just didn't want two be feeling I should have just spent the extra coin. Shot its a drop in the hat at that point.

5. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

All repeaters can be single-shots....But not all single-shots can be repeaters.

Just my way of thinking.

I have plenty of repeaters that I have to shoot as a single-shot because that's where I get the best accuracy is with them up in the lands, or right up there near it, and it's too long for the internal magazine.

6. Bullet bumper

Bullet bumper Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. If it's accurate , the first shot is all you need.
    Once you cut that big hole in the stock and action to be a repeater you loose rigidity and potentially some accuracy with it .
    If you are chasing top accuracy and will precision handload to get it then take every advantage you can and go single shot , rigid stock . One shot one kill .

7. Korhil78

Korhil78 Well-Known Member

My 338 LM that I had built has a Stiller TAC338 single shot action. After shootig this thing, I will never go back to a repeater on another build unless it's for varmints or coyotes.

8. rfd

rfd Well-Known Member

i prefer single shot rifles.

however, a bolt action rifle can have a removable single cartridge ramp added for a few bucks and then voila, it's now a true single shot rifle. :cool:

9. davkrat

davkrat Well-Known Member

It may be a single shot but the rigidity removed from the stock action don't go away. Whether or not that matters is another matter.

10. rfd

rfd Well-Known Member

correct - depends on the action ... there's good, bad and mediocre.

but for the most part, actions like the rem700 or win70 are excellent, and better yet with a single feed plate, imho.

11. ZSteinle

ZSteinle Well-Known Member

I have 2 savage target action single shots and love them. I feel I am at no disadvantage with a single shot over a repeater. The one is a dual port and that makes reloading very fast. It cant be any slower than a repeater.

12. Chase Curtis

Chase Curtis Well-Known Member

Single shot all the way...

13. snox801

Thanks for the replies. At least I know most prefer single. I wanted a single but s 700 bucks to up grade to the repeater was nothing compared to the rest of the rifle. Looks like I'm going single as soon as I hear back from Kirby.