single shot or repeater

snox801

So sent out my check for a 338AM last week. So want some advice on these two options. Dont think I need the repeater, but dont want to spend this much money and end up wishing I did something different. Just looking for opinions.
Thanks guys.

I have 3 long range rifles. 338 RUM in Rem 700 sporter, 270 AM in Rem 721 and a 375 AM in a big Bat action.

All are single shots. Have taken yotes, mulies and elk. Single feed has not been a problem. Mainly because, so far, only that first shot was needed. :)

With a little practice a subsequent shots can be pretty rapid. The key is making the first cold bore shot count. Your getting a rig that will do it.

I shoot a Ruger #1 and it is amazing how calming the idea is that this one shot must be good. With practice I can probably shoot 5 well aimed shots as quickly as a bolt action with a magazine can. If I could afford the type of rifle you are getting yourself, I would be happy with a single shot.

Hey thanks for the replies I was planning on the one shot deal, but just didn't want two be feeling I should have just spent the extra coin. Shot its a drop in the hat at that point.

All repeaters can be single-shots....But not all single-shots can be repeaters.

Just my way of thinking.

I have plenty of repeaters that I have to shoot as a single-shot because that's where I get the best accuracy is with them up in the lands, or right up there near it, and it's too long for the internal magazine.

I have 3 long range rifles. 338 RUM in Rem 700 sporter, 270 AM in Rem 721 and a 375 AM in a big Bat action.

All are single shots. Have taken yotes, mulies and elk. Single feed has not been a problem. Mainly because, so far, only that first shot was needed. :)

With a little practice a subsequent shots can be pretty rapid. The key is making the first cold bore shot count. Your getting a rig that will do it.
My thoughts exactly. If it's accurate , the first shot is all you need.
Once you cut that big hole in the stock and action to be a repeater you loose rigidity and potentially some accuracy with it .
If you are chasing top accuracy and will precision handload to get it then take every advantage you can and go single shot , rigid stock . One shot one kill .

My 338 LM that I had built has a Stiller TAC338 single shot action. After shootig this thing, I will never go back to a repeater on another build unless it's for varmints or coyotes.

i prefer single shot rifles.

however, a bolt action rifle can have a removable single cartridge ramp added for a few bucks and then voila, it's now a true single shot rifle. :cool:

It may be a single shot but the rigidity removed from the stock action don't go away. Whether or not that matters is another matter.

It may be a single shot but the rigidity removed from the stock action don't go away. Whether or not that matters is another matter.

correct - depends on the action ... there's good, bad and mediocre.

but for the most part, actions like the rem700 or win70 are excellent, and better yet with a single feed plate, imho.

I have 2 savage target action single shots and love them. I feel I am at no disadvantage with a single shot over a repeater. The one is a dual port and that makes reloading very fast. It cant be any slower than a repeater.

Thanks for the replies. At least I know most prefer single. I wanted a single but s 700 bucks to up grade to the repeater was nothing compared to the rest of the rifle. Looks like I'm going single as soon as I hear back from Kirby.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.