Thoughts on the Defensive Edge +P throat design

Shawn how would R33 compare to h1000 for barrel life? Have you ever had any luck with retumbo?

I was about to start loading a 28 nosler with n570 and the 180 eld m's. I will be doing a little more research before getting that ball rolling.
I find it to be closer to the .50 BMG powder than H1000.

Barrel life should be good with any of those three as they are very slow powders.

I can't tell you about the 28 Nosler specifically but with the 338 Edge +P, h1000 seems to last around 300-500 rounds longer. I say seems because so few people wear them out and you just don't have good consistent data on use, barrel temps, conditions etc.

I built a rifle this year, 7MM ultra AI with a .949 bore rider, I had the reamer done with a .260 FB , for the 195, I run WC 872 thru it. if there was ever a chamber that could utilize a lil pressure drop this is it lol. the lands were easy to find and It was super easy to develop the load and it has been shooting lights out . I have about 300 rounds thru it now and the lands have stayed put

Bump
I'm looking into doing the +P throat on a 7mm, what are you guys realistically seeing for velocity gains, and how does it effect accuracy and throat erosion?

Bump
I'm looking into doing the +P throat on a 7mm, what are you guys realistically seeing for velocity gains, and how does it effect accuracy and throat erosion?
You'd most likely be money ahead by just stepping up to the STW or doing a 7mm-375Rug.

We keep hearing rumors of a 7PRC coming out "any day now" but as yet it's still over the horizon and nobody knows if it will just be a blown out 6.5PRC or a full size version of the 7mm-375 Ruger.

I've been an STW shooter for thirty years but the 7mm-300PRC is probably going to be my next 7mm.

1647405701677.png

I honestly can't see an appreciable gain possible with the existing 7RM case.

You'd most likely be money ahead by just stepping up to the STW or doing a 7mm-375Rug.

We keep hearing rumors of a 7PRC coming out "any day now" but as yet it's still over the horizon and nobody knows if it will just be a blown out 6.5PRC or a full size version of the 7mm-375 Ruger.

I've been an STW shooter for thirty years but the 7mm-300PRC is probably going to be my next 7mm.

View attachment 350232

I honestly can't see an appreciable gain possible with the existing 7RM case.
It's a wsm built on a tikka so a longer case isn't an option..
I don't nescessaryily need more velocity but the possibility of picking up 100 fps is always intriguing

Old post but I'll jump in there. Just got my 7RM +P chamber done on a 24" Proof and back from Shawn a couple weeks ago. I have 100 rds through it now. Using H4841sc as recommended by Shawn. Been trying to work up to max in .5gn increments pushing 180gn Berger Hybrids. Started at 62gns and I'm currently up to 67.5gns. That's 3 grains over book max and no pressure signs yet. Took it out today and 67.5gns of 4831SC and 180 Bergers got me a 5 shot average of 2916fps with an SD of 6.9fps.

Gonna keep on going til i get in the 3k range or start seeing pressure signs. I will say that @Shawn Carlock does amazing work. Literally everything I feed this rifle shoots .5moa or better.

If you're thinking about having him do some work for you, DO IT. You won't regret.

I've only recently been made aware of the +p throat design from defensive edge. I know they've made great strides with their 338's, but was wondering how this has worked with other calibers. I know at first they were keeping it exclusive with their in house rifle builds only, but I understand they'll do it to your rifle or barrel now. I'm putting together a 7-300 for long range hunting.
What are you guys thoughts/opinions about it?
I ran a 7/300 built by Howard Wolfe. I had 180 Berger's running at 3100 with H1000. I don't think I ever tried to find the top end because it shot well with 180's at approximately 3030.