338 Edge + P now available from Defensive Edge

Gentlemen,

I believe no man is top notch at everything. When I decided to build my 338 Edge I thought it a natural migration to The Defensive Edge shop. I trusted Shawn to build a rifle that could do what he claims it will. This fall I took my first attempt ever at 1000 yards. I hit on the second shot with only a minor elevation change. Yes, The rifle performs as claimed. Find one of the fine smiths on this site and trust them to do their Job well.

Sorry we cannot do that, when the barrel is gone that would be a good time to change over, also it has to be in a single shot format as the OAL with a Berger 300 is 4.130".

Guys.........I did some pruning on this thread as it had gotten out of hand and I apologize for not noticing sooner. Evidently we have members that don't know the meaning of "hijack" or "inconsiderate" or a few others I won't mention.

Shawn....I'm sorry your thread got off on a tangent. I tried to prune it to a point where it stayed with the original theme of the first post. Unfortunately in pruning some good goes with the trash but I think it's in pretty good shape now.

Carry on guys and I personally agree with those that are appreciative of guys like Shawn, Kirby and others that push the envelope at their expense so that the rest of us can benefit from their time and expense. :)

Helpful guys at Defensive Edge I am learning now 09 08 2012 about + p
I live in europe 6 or 8 months ago I sent an E mail to defensive edge
told them I was not happy with case life in my 338 edge 2 or 3 firings
and primers falling out using their load manual I asked if I mowe
the bullet forward like 5 millimeters by asking my gunsmith for a longer
throat will this help caselife the answer I got was it is of no benefit .

Helpful guys at Defensive Edge I am learning now 09 08 2012 about + p
I live in europe 6 or 8 months ago I sent an E mail to defensive edge
told them I was not happy with case life in my 338 edge 2 or 3 firings
and primers falling out using their load manual I asked if I mowe
the bullet forward like 5 millimeters by asking my gunsmith for a longer
throat will this help caselife the answer I got was it is of no benefit .
Rossi,
I would say that it would help lower pressure but Shawns +P would be better as it is built into a new cut chamber with a lot of thought and testing. To mod an old chamber would add extra cost. Maybe just back off your load and fix the problem with a +P from Shawn or get a long throat chamber when you put on a new barrel.

I run my .338Edge with a long cut throat at 4.108" COAL with the Berger 300gn Hybrid and have no issues.

I have 2 questions, one, can the barrel be treated to make it harder and thus add barrel life? The military seems to have a formula for this? On the 7wsm, would using the 300 wsm case be a better case option? I believe Norma makes them.

THe headspace on the 7 and 300 WSM are different.

Rossi - as we talked before if you are having pressure issues you need to back off the load despite what you might have read else where. The +P modification will only be done on a new barrel / chamber so that is just not an option for you. If you simply back your load off you will be a happy guy. there has over the year been some burn rate changes in powders and lot to lot variances etc. Also there are certain to be chamber and setup changes between your rifle built by your smith and one we do. Good luck.

I spoke to my gunsmith to day and we are going to change the throat
mowe the bullet forward 5 or 6 millimeters I can post the results here
later.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts