Thoughts on the Defensive Edge +P throat design

odoylerules

I've only recently been made aware of the +p throat design from defensive edge. I know they've made great strides with their 338's, but was wondering how this has worked with other calibers. I know at first they were keeping it exclusive with their in house rifle builds only, but I understand they'll do it to your rifle or barrel now. I'm putting together a 7-300 for long range hunting.
What are you guys thoughts/opinions about it?

Last edited:
From what was explained to me you have to make sure your capacity can overcome the loss of pressure to take advantage of the throating

From what was explained to me you have to make sure your capacity can overcome the loss of pressure to take advantage of the throating
That's my understanding too. I thought the 7-300 might fit into that category but I'm not positive.

Anyone ever done one of these in something besides the 338 edge or 260 terminator?
How is barrel life with these throats?

testing 338 edge match +p 30" mcgowen seems like going to be hitting 100+gr on RL33 and retumbo to get any pressure out of them. H1000 97+ starting hitting good velocity. NO problems with brass just wish I went with Bench firing pin small diameter. +p helps on brass & increasing powder in case . Next barrel would like to try 3r or 5r rifling barrel gain twist with +P. Turnaround is fast with defensive edge

Remember that by going with a Plus P throating you will be losing some pressure due to increased blowby that will be even more noticeable unless you are using the slowest burning powders available. You can easily lose the "advantage" of the custom throat due to same. The smaller the case the more noticeable it will probably be due to the burn rates.

Yeah I'm trying to determine if the 7-300 with H-1000 would fit into this category for success.
With my current 300 win mag, I load my Nosler brass with 75.0 grains of h1000 pushing Berger 215 hybrids.
In regards to the 7-300, Doing some really rough measurements I figure the case can easily hold 80+ grains with a berger 7mm 195 grain bullet. I'm sure that would be way over pressure in a normal throat, but might work out nicely with the +P design. Does anyone have any load work ups with a 7-300 using 195's and H-1000?
What I'd like to know, is there a rule of thumb or rouge guess how much the +P reduces pressure in a given chamber.

It seems likely that Defensive Edge would be in a good position to provide sound advice and opinions.

Last edited:
Good move!
I'm not in some terrible hurry. It's been like a week so I thought I'd see if anyone on here had any real life experiences they could share. Like I said, they're probably hunting or something, which is totally fine/understandable.