Thoughts on Lever Action

I prefer the 92 Winchester design, mine is my Grandpa's manufactured in 1904 in 44 W.C.F. I put a tang peep sight on it for my old age eyes. Killed a hog with it last year. It is a tough easy to carry rifle and the 44-40 round loaded hot (200g XTP, 26g 2400, 2010fps: Lyman Handbook 43rd edition -- Starline Brass) is a real slam down load. Great to 100 yds. The BLR in 358 Winchester would be FINE. 358 is my white tail hunting round.

I have a 1989 Marlin .444 with a Williams receiver sight, to which I added a Merit adjustable aperture. Much better than the semi-buckhorn rear, and with a quick dial you can open it up or turn it down for different lighting conditions.

The only decent factory load is 265 grain, but I handload with some heavy 300 grainers which are just the ticket. Flatter shooting than a .45-70, and the magazine holds one more round.

My buddy has a beautiful post-64 Model 94, gorgeous wood and bluing, and light, that is like a 4 MOA rifle, so I don't know what's wrong with it; crown looks OK.

My next lever will be a Marlin Guide Gun, also in .444. I'm interested in comparing performance with the 22" Micro Groove barrel to the shorter Ballard cut rifling of the newer gun.

If you want a level gun, but also want a modern ish bullet look at the Long Ranger from Henry. I have one in 6.5 creed and I love it. They also do a .308 if a man bun isn't your style. 😁
View attachment 174048

And what it does with some 124gr Hammer Hunters at 100 yd.
View attachment 174049\

Otherwise a 30-30 side gate from any of them brands would be on my list. Henry does good by me, but my model 94 has always treated me well.
I would offer a second on the Henry Long Ranger. I purchased one in .308 and added a Skinner sight. I don't have any photos of targets, but it groups similar to the above target with off the self Hornady. It is also predilection for a scope which increases its versitilit.

I traded for a pre 64 win. model 94 30-30 and it is a fun gun. Action is tight, was never shot a lot, I refinished the stock and cleaned it up, looks real nice. shoots good too, that is for a 30-30 with open sights. I have $600 in it so I'm not hurt. only lever gun I own. pretty cool

I haven't heard comments about the Henry line of levers. They have all the cartridges mentioned so far plus the Long Ranger appears to be very good for a reasonably accurate lever gun.

Any one have experience with this brand of lever?

I will add one more vote for the BLR. Mine is a Blue and walnut pistol grip takedown in 358 Winchester. I added a Skinner rear peep and a brass front blade for back up irons and a Leupold "scout" scope in 1.5 to 5 power. set at 1.5 it works like a red dot and is real quick on target. I load it with 180 grain Barnes TSX's at 2700 fps and it will put 3 rounds into 3/8" at 100 yards. The only downside is the cost of spare mags.

Another vote for the BLR. It can be had in many popular calibers that are easy to find ammo for.
Smooth cycling with a rotary magazine.
It's likely the most accurate lever available and makes the most sense for Western hunters.

I've owned a 336c for almost 30 years. It was my first 30 caliber rifle and I've shot many whitetail with it and also a moose. It definitely holds a special.place in my life...and I prefer Marlin over the 94 hands down.
Levers are awesome for treestand hunting and tracking / stalking here in the Northeast. Light weight, short and compact. Once your used to firing it follow up shots can be achieved really fast.

My preference would be the Marlin 336 in 30-30. I prefer that Marlin over the Winchester for purposes of scoping if you desire to do so in the future. I know that you wrote in your OP that you are not sure about scoping, however I can only say that I never thought my eyes would fail, "until" they did and now a scope is essential for me to shoot well. I also have a Browning BLR that is a real shooter, with a box magazine not tubular; a lot easier to load and unload. I think it is lighter then the Winchester or the Marlin, and the BLR comes in some really neat cartridges capable of taking just about anything that one would want to hunt in this country. My scoped BLR in .308 Winchester will shoot clover leafs at 100 yards. I've read that the big-bore Henry rifles have had trouble with their tubular magazines galling up due to the brass on brass, but no first-hand experience with them. If you have a fondness of the Winchester model 94 you cannot go wrong with one, my preference is the Marlin. Good luck with what you purchase.

Have a marlin 336 30-30 my dad gave me for my 16 bday killed lots of deer with it still carry it some now and a marlin 22 i got when my grandpa passed away it has took out alot of tree rats while hunting with him and since both shoot awsome and are fun to shoot

I never thought I would like a lever, but I rescued a 336 a relative was considering turning in in CA. Its a 35Rem which I much prefer over 30-30 but I reload.

liked it so much I just picked up an 1895 in 45-70 So I can share ammo with my BFR pistol.

i have shot Henry, they are well made but I don't like loading the tube other than .22s. I guess they do have some side loading door models now.

I have a Marlin 336 and two Winchester 94's, all three in 30-30. To echo an earlier post, If you want to carry it around, buy the Winchester. If you want to shoot and hunt with it buy the Marlin. If I run across a reasonably priced Henry in 30-30 and in good condition, I'm sure it will come home with me as well.

I am considering picking up a lever action. This would not be a go-to hunting rifle, and certainly not a long range gun.
I might not even scope it.

I'd be interested in thoughts on Winchester 1894s, especially any pros- and-cons of pre-and post '64. This would be a plinker and maybe a truck gun, so not really interested in a pristine 120 year old gun for $3000++. I would not mind such a gun as a collector some day, just not today.

Others in the mix might be Marlin 336 or any of the Henrys.

Caliber-wise, I'm thinking either .30-30, for price of ammo and availability, or possibly .44 Magnum, in which case I'd have a revolver and short duty rifle that shot the same ammo.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on these choices, namely does one stand out as generally holding up better, or having a smoother cycling action, better iron sights, etc.

I've not shot lever actions much. My Dad's Henry Golden Boy in .45 LC, and a friend's .45-70, long ago. That's about it.
I own and shoot several lever guns, and I love them all. Two of my favorite hunting rifles are both Browning BLR"s in 358 Win. One has a receiver (peep) sight, and the other has 1.5X5 Leupold FireDot. Included the mix is a Henry Big Boy in 41 Rem Mag with a Skinner Peep Sight. This rifle is way more accurate than it should be. Its a really a fun gun to shoot. I've owned several model 94's and Marlin 336's that were chambered in 30-30. I've always thought that the Marlin is the smoother, stronger gun. I recently put together a 336 with new wood, Colt Royal Blue bluing, and a new barrel chambered in 30-30 Ackley Imp.. I also installed a Williams Receiver sight so as to not disrupt the fine carrying qualities that these rifles are known for. While I do like the Henry's, they are a bit on the heavy side. The 94's are great guns, but the actions are a bit too sloppy for my tastes. Why a lever gun? Well, they are just a cool part of American gun lore.

I haven't heard comments about the Henry line of levers. They have all the cartridges mentioned so far plus the Long Ranger appears to be very good for a reasonably accurate lever gun.

Any one have experience with this brand of lever?

the guy 2 posts above you has one in .308 and I have one in 6.5 creed. it's a great gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.