Thoughts on Lever Action

I have shot the Henry brass frame rifles but never the steel frames. Super nice feeling but a little heavy in larger caliber offerings to be confided handy in my mind but still a cool gun. Nothing wrong with the Marlins I have and have had a few but I'd look at the BLR's as well. Still a great feeling rifle and an action as slick as snot but with a modern chambering even magnum calibers if you want to stretch it out. Super accurate to boot! Good luck with your choice, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with any of them.

Marlin came out with a Dark Series (30-30 and 45-70) recently both are offered with threaded barrels, XS Ghost sights, rail, large loop lever, paracord sling, black stocks and parkerized finish. Just a thought if you have a supressor or wanted one. Pistol calibers are also there.

I own and shoot several lever guns, and I love them all. Two of my favorite hunting rifles are both Browning BLR"s in 358 Win. One has a receiver (peep) sight, and the other has 1.5X5 Leupold FireDot. Included the mix is a Henry Big Boy in 41 Rem Mag with a Skinner Peep Sight. This rifle is way more accurate than it should be. Its a really a fun gun to shoot. I've owned several model 94's and Marlin 336's that were chambered in 30-30. I've always thought that the Marlin is the smoother, stronger gun. I recently put together a 336 with new wood, Colt Royal Blue bluing, and a new barrel chambered in 30-30 Ackley Imp.. I also installed a Williams Receiver sight so as to not disrupt the fine carrying qualities that these rifles are known for. While I do like the Henry's, they are a bit on the heavy side. The 94's are great guns, but the actions are a bit too sloppy for my tastes. Why a lever gun? Well, they are just a cool part of American gun lore.
Yes! a part of America: why I like the Winchester 92 in 44 W.C.F. -- Grandpa's rifle!

Marlin 336's hold up better than toggle link Henry's or Winchester's, without question. The Winchester's often feel smoother because they don't lock up as tightly and more things move during cycling (counterintuitive - there's broader tolerances time suit the increased movements. But the Marlin will feel like you're actually cycling the action, instead of feeling like the rifle's guts are falling out. I have Win 94 Trapper 357mags, an AE dirty thirty, and recently had a Big Bore in 375 Winchester, but I highly favor the Marlin 1894's, 1895's, and 336's. Accurate, reliable, and easy carrying.

I will agree with sedancowboy if you are looking for a pistol cartridge. A good '92 in 44/45, or maybe a 38/357, is smaller and lighter and if you are also carring a pistol, you only need one cartridge in your belt loops. The action is very smooth and a lot shorter stroke. Now I will admit I own a couple '94. One made in 1895 (wall hanger, not a shooter) in 30 WCF and one made in 1956 in 32 Winchester. If I could find one in 7-30 waters I would probably buy it. But you can not scope these rifles unless you can find an angled eject. If you want to put glass on top, then go with the Marlin. I like my little '92 and have taken a couple of deer with it.

I am considering picking up a lever action. This would not be a go-to hunting rifle, and certainly not a long range gun.
I might not even scope it.

I'd be interested in thoughts on Winchester 1894s, especially any pros- and-cons of pre-and post '64. This would be a plinker and maybe a truck gun, so not really interested in a pristine 120 year old gun for $3000++. I would not mind such a gun as a collector some day, just not today.

Others in the mix might be Marlin 336 or any of the Henrys.

Caliber-wise, I'm thinking either .30-30, for price of ammo and availability, or possibly .44 Magnum, in which case I'd have a revolver and short duty rifle that shot the same ammo.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on these choices, namely does one stand out as generally holding up better, or having a smoother cycling action, better iron sights, etc.

I've not shot lever actions much. My Dad's Henry Golden Boy in .45 LC, and a friend's .45-70, long ago. That's about it.
I like lever guns. They are a hoot to shoot. While my Winchester .30-30 may make a great "truck-gun" I love my Marlin .45-70. With a Caliber-specific Cabela scope it's easily a 300 yard rifle that packs a wallop! Having had both a .44 Magnum pistol and rifle I've never been impressed with the accuracy. They would however make a great brush gun, (and the ammo is cheaper!)! Good luck in your decision.

I like looking around at gun shows and it seems like it's always easier to find reasonably priced Marlin 336 rifles in good shape than the other models. I would look for a Marlin 336 with JM markings in a 30-30. Always nice to buy 30-30 ammo on sale for $13.00/box.

My father inlaw gave me a pre 64 30-30,only 30 cal I own.Nice lil packer.Ialso did some trading with him for a 94-22WMxtr,love that little rifle.Shot one my biggest bucks with it.

44-40 "While too anemic for deer hunting" ??????????

I guess all those millions of head of big game shot with a 44-40 just died of natural causes.
Here is a quote from the old Hodgdon 26 edition loading manual.
"Introduced in the Model 1873 rifle, the 44-40 Winchester was once to the deer hunter what the 30-30 eventually became. Some cartridge historians have even said that the 44-40 killed so many deer that the 30-30 had been around for many years before it accounted for an equal amount of venison."
No question the 44-40 has accounted for countless game, and it is capable of killing a deer. Having hunted with both the 44-40 and the 30-30, the difference between them in killing performance on deer sized game beyond 50 yards using loads feasible for a Model 73 is quite noticeable . Just my experience.

Where it lives

Attachments

• EB09A468-4851-45AD-86D8-E6779986CCD8.jpeg
    EB09A468-4851-45AD-86D8-E6779986CCD8.jpeg
    579.2 KB · Views: 121
I am considering picking up a lever action. This would not be a go-to hunting rifle, and certainly not a long range gun.
I might not even scope it.

I'd be interested in thoughts on Winchester 1894s, especially any pros- and-cons of pre-and post '64. This would be a plinker and maybe a truck gun, so not really interested in a pristine 120 year old gun for $3000++. I would not mind such a gun as a collector some day, just not today.

Others in the mix might be Marlin 336 or any of the Henrys.

Caliber-wise, I'm thinking either .30-30, for price of ammo and availability, or possibly .44 Magnum, in which case I'd have a revolver and short duty rifle that shot the same ammo.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on these choices, namely does one stand out as generally holding up better, or having a smoother cycling action, better iron sights, etc.

I've not shot lever actions much. My Dad's Henry Golden Boy in .45 LC, and a friend's .45-70, long ago. That's about it.
Marlin smooth action and reliable..have one 30 30 and have win 94 3030....both reliable and light...either is a good choice. Had Marlin 45-70 and it was one hole accurate and carried in Bear Country

Get a Marlin chambered in .35 Remington. It's a proven deer and black bear killer. I have
seen lots of deer and a few bear killed with .35 Remington caliber guns. You won't be sorry.
Unless you want a Winchester Model 94 because you think it's a cool gun, which it is.
Zeke

Any of them will be fun Henry 22 good for lots of plinking.
Henry 6.5 actually good for long distance and hunting.
Marlin 44 mag might be your best option since you have the revolver. And good out too 100-150 yards, lots of drop, for hunting.

I Had a 357 lever gun to go with my Colt Python, but it was stolen from my truck 35 + years ago.

I have the Marlin 444 that I reload for, it's not comparable with my 44 mag, but lit is great hunting chose, easily good out to 200 yards.

just kind of depends why you really want one.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.