Thoughts on Lever Action

left handed gun

I am considering picking up a lever action. This would not be a go-to hunting rifle, and certainly not a long range gun.
I might not even scope it.

I'd be interested in thoughts on Winchester 1894s, especially any pros- and-cons of pre-and post '64. This would be a plinker and maybe a truck gun, so not really interested in a pristine 120 year old gun for $3000++. I would not mind such a gun as a collector some day, just not today.

Others in the mix might be Marlin 336 or any of the Henrys.

Caliber-wise, I'm thinking either .30-30, for price of ammo and availability, or possibly .44 Magnum, in which case I'd have a revolver and short duty rifle that shot the same ammo.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on these choices, namely does one stand out as generally holding up better, or having a smoother cycling action, better iron sights, etc.

I've not shot lever actions much. My Dad's Henry Golden Boy in .45 LC, and a friend's .45-70, long ago. That's about it.

I am considering picking up a lever action. This would not be a go-to hunting rifle, and certainly not a long range gun.

I'd be interested in thoughts on Winchester 1894s, especially any pros- and-cons of pre-and post '64. This would be a plinker and maybe a truck gun, so not really interested in a pristine 120 year old gun for $3000++. I would not mind such a gun as a collector some day, just not today.

Caliber-wise, I'm thinking either .30-30, for price of ammo and availability, or possibly .44 Magnum, in which case I'd have a revolver and short duty rifle that shot the same ammo.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on these choices, namely does one stand out as generally holding up better, or having a smoother cycling action, better iron sights, etc.

I've not shot lever actions much. My Dad's Henry Golden Boy in .45 LC, and a friend's .45-70, long ago. That's about it.
30-30 is just a cool gun I also really like the 7-30 waters

I have both a pre '64 Win 94 and just sold a 1979 Marlin 336. Although both are fine rifles and equally capable, I enjoyed the Marlin much more. It's not a knock on the Winchester, just my personal preference. I only sold the Marlin because my close friend was looking for one pre-cross bolt safety and I'd give him the shirt off my back. The Win 94 was my Dad's and also the gun I learned to hunt with, so it has enormous sentimental value for me. By the way, the Marlin was 30-30 and the Winchester is 32 Win Special.

If I were to buy another 30-30 (and I likely will! ;)), I'd buy a Henry. I loved everything about the one I shot. Just a fine rifle in my opinion.

All my best,
Rob

The Winchester and Marlin both have their pros and cons. For what you want I think the Winchester 94 would fit your needs nicely. I prefer the Winchester for toten around but if you are going to shoot it a lot the Marlin would be my choice. While the Marlin is heavier it also shoots well. You can buy the post 64 Winchesters reasonable if you are not looking for a pristine collectible. I will always have a Winchester saddle gun. If you are looking for a carbine and pistol in the same pistol cartridge then you might look at the Winchester 92 They are the definition of handy an smooth.

In a 30-30 I would buy the marlin. Put a peep on it with a white bead front sight. Shoot circles around the Winchester.

It all depends on what you REALLY intend to use the rifle for. Nocking around plinking occasional deer or pig out to 200 yards I would pick the Marlin 336 in 30-30 Win,. I personally would scope it which is easy with the Marlin with a lower power 1-6 or 1-8 like the Primary Arms scope with the ACSS reticle that you can light up. Put it on 1 power and light up the reticle and it works like a red dot. If you need more magnification you have it. First deer I ever killed 44 years ago was with a Marlin 336 30-30 Win. I also once up on a time had one in 35 Remington that was a thumper on game also.

I was raised in the Northeast with typical 50-100 yard shots on whitetail. The fast handling lever rifles were made for this type of hunting. I have owned and used the Marlin 336, Winchester 94, and Savage 99, My personal favorite was the pre-64 Model 94 In 30-30. Surely, it's personal preference, but the balance, feel, and shoot-ability of my pre-64 was absent to me with the other rifles, including the post 64 Winchester's with it's different balance due to the lighter steel stampings. The milled steel components of the pre-64 not only supports the perfect balance, but its timeless beauty as well. IMO.

Last edited:
I have a short barreled Win 94 in 44 mag.....definitely post 64. I picked it up for a blacktail brush gun, and grab it sometimes when just hiking because it's so handy and light. My wife packed it quite a bit for blacktail but never got the opportunity to shoot anything with it. I was always impressed with how it shot with open sights she could take out pop cans at 100 yards. Every once in awhile I think of selling it, but I can't think of what I'd replace it with. I've always thought it would be perfect to pick up a revolver to go with it. Never had a Marlin, but I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another 94 if one popped up.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts