Thoughts on Lever Action

Even though I started with a Winchester 94 I would have to admit the shooting edge goes to marlin. Just picked up a 94-22 last weekend.-again! Hope it shoots as good as my last one. I have had several levers over the years. My old Browning 308 was a great one. The one that I love the most is my savage 99 in 308. Whoever thinks that lever guns aren't accurate and can't reach out there has never reloaded for a Browning or savage.

If you want a level gun, but also want a modern ish bullet look at the Long Ranger from Henry. I have one in 6.5 creed and I love it. They also do a .308 if a man bun isn't your style. 😁
IMG_20190115_125727892.jpg

And what it does with some 124gr Hammer Hunters at 100 yd.
IMG_20190910_172957737.jpg
\

Otherwise a 30-30 side gate from any of them brands would be on my list. Henry does good by me, but my model 94 has always treated me well.

Last edited:
I am considering picking up a lever action. This would not be a go-to hunting rifle, and certainly not a long range gun.
I might not even scope it.

I'd be interested in thoughts on Winchester 1894s, especially any pros- and-cons of pre-and post '64. This would be a plinker and maybe a truck gun, so not really interested in a pristine 120 year old gun for $3000++. I would not mind such a gun as a collector some day, just not today.

Others in the mix might be Marlin 336 or any of the Henrys.

Caliber-wise, I'm thinking either .30-30, for price of ammo and availability, or possibly .44 Magnum, in which case I'd have a revolver and short duty rifle that shot the same ammo.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on these choices, namely does one stand out as generally holding up better, or having a smoother cycling action, better iron sights, etc.

I've not shot lever actions much. My Dad's Henry Golden Boy in .45 LC, and a friend's .45-70, long ago. That's about it.
Pre '64 Winchester Model 94 .32 Winchester Special

How much are these costing these days? I bought a Marlin .44 mag in 1993 used for $150. It's been fired about 50 times since then. I really like it. It's fun to shoot when I do take it out.

Don't sleep on a Browning BLR, these are exceptional rifles and come in a variety of calibers! My only knock on the Browning is that you can not get it with a "Cowboy Lever." Every gun owner should have a cowboy gun, the nostalgia behind them is priceless! Yeehaw 😎🤙

For more cartridge options don't forget the Browning BLRs, but I agree with several others, nothing beats a lever rifle for a feeling of nostalgia, and they are **** fun to shot. Another member here came and hunted with me last year here in Montana and brought his Marlin .45-70 Guide for a bear backup gun. I was surprised at the rather low level of recoil.

I am considering picking up a lever action. This would not be a go-to hunting rifle, and certainly not a long range gun.
I might not even scope it.

I'd be interested in thoughts on Winchester 1894s, especially any pros- and-cons of pre-and post '64. This would be a plinker and maybe a truck gun, so not really interested in a pristine 120 year old gun for $3000++. I would not mind such a gun as a collector some day, just not today.

Others in the mix might be Marlin 336 or any of the Henrys.

Caliber-wise, I'm thinking either .30-30, for price of ammo and availability, or possibly .44 Magnum, in which case I'd have a revolver and short duty rifle that shot the same ammo.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on these choices, namely does one stand out as generally holding up better, or having a smoother cycling action, better iron sights, etc.

I've not shot lever actions much. My Dad's Henry Golden Boy in .45 LC, and a friend's .45-70, long ago. That's about it.
Back east many years ago for deer hunting in the mts when Browning came out with the BLR in 358 win I got that the year it hit the market loved it took many whitetails and black bears with it and would still have it but do to a house fire lost it. It was fast for running whitetails in the hardwoods and swamps

44-40 "While too anemic for deer hunting" ??????????

I guess all those millions of head of big game shot with a 44-40 just died of natural causes.
Here is a quote from the old Hodgdon 26 edition loading manual.
"Introduced in the Model 1873 rifle, the 44-40 Winchester was once to the deer hunter what the 30-30 eventually became. Some cartridge historians have even said that the 44-40 killed so many deer that the 30-30 had been around for many years before it accounted for an equal amount of venison."

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.