Marlin Lever Action Experts

BearDog

Looking for some insight on an area of weaponry that I am not familiar with.

A while ago I was given a Marlin 336RC in 35 Rem to "fix up" if I wanted it. Not wanting to turn down a rifle, I accepted and stuck it away in the safe and pretty much forgot about it. Today I pulled it out with the intention of refinishing the stock and having the metal cerakoated. Being that it was an old hunting rifle, it has some wear to it, but really is in pretty good shape aside from some minor rusting and minor gouges in the wood.

Naturally the rear band screw is stripped, and I'm quickly realizing that although the 336 is still in production, many parts are not the same as the older models, and it is being difficult to acquire parts for this "project gun" I had in my mind. Pair that with the fact that 35 Rem is about as elusive as a quality deer tag, I started to wonder if it was worth even putting the money and time into getting it fixed up. However, in looking for parts, I see that these 336RC models are selling for what is a surprising amount, and Im wondering if these arent considered to be somewhat of a collectors piece?

This is where my lack of knowledge comes into play...is the Marlin 336RC with "JM" on the barrel a highly desired item, or is it a weapon worth fixing up and hanging on to?

Looking for some insight on an area of weaponry that I am not familiar with.

A while ago I was given a Marlin 336RC in 35 Rem to "fix up" if I wanted it. Not wanting to turn down a rifle, I accepted and stuck it away in the safe and pretty much forgot about it. Today I pulled it out with the intention of refinishing the stock and having the metal cerakoated. Being that it was an old hunting rifle, it has some wear to it, but really is in pretty good shape aside from some minor rusting and minor gouges in the wood.

Naturally the rear band screw is stripped, and I'm quickly realizing that although the 336 is still in production, many parts are not the same as the older models, and it is being difficult to acquire parts for this "project gun" I had in my mind. Pair that with the fact that 35 Rem is about as elusive as a quality deer tag, I started to wonder if it was worth even putting the money and time into getting it fixed up. However, in looking for parts, I see that these 336RC models are selling for what is a surprising amount, and Im wondering if these arent considered to be somewhat of a collectors piece?

This is where my lack of knowledge comes into play...is the Marlin 336RC with "JM" on the barrel a highly desired item, or is it a weapon worth fixing up and hanging on to?
Very good Deer & Bear & Moose cartridge/rifle.
When you start talking about a "Collector" it has to be in good original shape and not just refinished.
This model in "Good" condition is about $600 to $800. Your rifle with wood needing refinishing, some rust and stripped screw would be below these prices.
15-20 years ago I restored a few 336s and currently have one 336 in 32 Win Spl. that my dad bought my mom in 1954.

If you want a good "Thumper" Deer/Bear/moose rifle you have it in 35 Rem.
If the wood has too many dings to refinish it the correct way, you can purchase new wood for it. As far as the rust depending on how much you can use rust remover and then touch up with some "Cold Blue". OR you can send it out to be re-blued or cerakoted.
If I had it I would just put the minimum $s into it and hunt with it.

Attachments

• IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
eBay is a good source for parts for the Marlin 336. Personally and from experience, I would fix anything that needs fixing and leave it at that, the rusting can be fixed with oil and steel wool. The rifle has history, no need to cover it up, those guns continue to go up in value no matter the condition.

When you start talking about a "Collector" it has to be in good original shape and not just refinished.
This model in "Good" condition is about $600 to $800. Your rifle with wood needing refinishing, some rust and stripped screw would be below these prices.
15-20 years ago I restored a few 336s and currently have one 336 in 32 Win Spl. that my dad bought my mom in 1954.

If the wood has too many dings to refinish it the correct way, you can purchase new wood for it. As far as the rust depending on how much you can use rust remover and then touch up with some "Cold Blue". OR you can send it out to be re-blued or cerakoted.
Nice rifle shadow tracker, I have the same in 30.30 and a 24" barrel

That was my initial thought as well. The rusting isn't bad and localized to a couple small areas, and the wood I think can be worked out. The biggest pain is going to be finding a couple parts that need changing and cost to set up reloading for 35 REM since the rounds are so pricey.

I just didn't want to ruin the rifle if it actually was a collectors piece but restoring it. One gunbroker posting was $1800 with a handful of bids. I was surprised that folks were asking $800+ for the rifle in general.

That was my initial thought as well. The rusting isn't bad and localized to a couple small areas, and the wood I think can be worked out. The biggest pain is going to be finding a couple parts that need changing and cost to set up reloading for 35 REM since the rounds are so pricey.

I just didn't want to ruin the rifle if it actually was a collectors piece but restoring it. One gunbroker posting was $1800 with a handful of bids. I was surprised that folks were asking $800+ for the rifle in general.
Just found this website

This is a good forum for searching for any info on Marlin Firearms, if you haven't viewed the site.
Hope this helps, spare parts have been difficult to track down for a number of years. Hopefully with the Remington plant bankruptcy some parts ended up somewhere (not sure if Ruger got that in their purchase). Ruger is making the 336 so that might be an avenue now? Good luck in your search.

I have my father's 336RC manufactured about 1955 in 30-30. It seems the JM stamped barrels are desired as used gun sellers like to point it out. Any collector value might be diminished by cerakote. Might also apply to reblueing so I guess use your best judgement. Definitely get on the Marlin forum.

This is a good forum for searching for any info on Marlin Firearms, if you haven't viewed the site.
Hope this helps, spare parts have been difficult to track down for a number of years. Hopefully with the Remington plant bankruptcy some parts ended up somewhere (not sure if Ruger got that in their purchase). Ruger is making the 336 so that might be an avenue now? Good luck in your search.

The Marlin Owners Forum is a great source of information.

You didn't post any pictures of yours.
If you wish, some bronze wool and cold blue can help the metal.
It's not difficult to refinish the wood.
As noted, some of the older small parts are available on eBay.

Have fun!