338 Marlin Express-Lever Action

Cereberus is a typical inv firm. When they bought Marlin they moved production to ny they didn't bring Marlin employees. Not even 1 I heard. Buy one with the JM stamp.

WOW.... You know who (or what) that is? Think back a few years. Thats a dirty word around these parts (SE Michigan, NW Ohio)........

WOW.... You know who (or what) that is? Think back a few years. Thats a dirty word around these parts (SE Michigan, NW Ohio)........

Could they be the people who ran Chrysler into the ground? Not that I'm dialed into the world of high finance but I've worked for companies acquired by investment groups. They shop for companies the way you shop for a used car. They fix 'em up a little and sell them for a profit. By fix them up, I mean improve the profitability on paper which usually means combining work forces, distribution, purchasing power, and so on. They often sell of the rights to a product made by that company. Said company is then sold to somebody else who thinks they can run it better. Eventually every last drop of blood is squeezed out of the company until it no longer resembles it's original mission and has been purged of it's culture.

I once heard a story about the guy who started Honda in Japan. You could never find the guy because he was always on the floor of his plants. Point being, he was a car guy and that's where his passion was. Compare that to the principals of an investment group who may take the occasional guided tour of their own facilities and retreat into their offices. Not that they don't work hard, I'm sure they do but their passion can't be held in their hands but rather is on paper.

My experience is, it doesn't end well for anyone but the investment group.

My thoughts are that if Marlin wasn't in trouble anyway, they would not have been an attractive acquisition. If they were well run and had a bright future, they would have been sold to someone who loved making guns and wanted to do it for the next 40 years. Often times a newly acquired company is infused with much needed capital and cancerous, self serving management is cut out quickly which can be a good thing. I completely agree with Marlin's production stoppage but lets not mistake that decision with intelligence. By knowingly releasing all those poorly produced firearms onto a loyal customer base, they have effectively run the ship into the iceberg and stopping the engines won't fix the leak. Still... a Phoenix may arise from the ashes. Marlin's outcome is not yet pre-determined but the stench of failure is ripe.

Last edited:
Sure is Mike, same group. You see, it was never publicized but Chrysler had millions in secured funds in their pension plan for 'future' retirees. That made them a cash cow and the investment company wanted that cash, well them and Diamler and they got it.

Marchonni got the company in the end but all he got was the physical plant and the worker liability. The capital was already sucked out, but then, I'm not a fan of Marchoni either. The company I work for almost went Chapter 11 over the Chrysler deal. Business manipulations have far reaching spin off consequences.

The one reason why I find Romney less than likeable. He's an 'investment' guy. The workers and the stockholders loose and the investment company makes a fortune. IMO, still a better choice than what we have at present.....

Cereberus is a typical inv firm. When they bought Marlin they moved production to ny they didn't bring Marlin employees. Not even 1 I heard. Buy one with the JM stamp.

They did bring one old man to assemble 39's, and he's since retired (he was in his 70's when they bought Marlin). I'd have rather seen Savage or even Ruger buy Marlin as they at least have gun production in mind from the outset instead of cash flow
gary

Could they be the people who ran Chrysler into the ground? Not that I'm dialed into the world of high finance but I've worked for companies acquired by investment groups. They shop for companies the way you shop for a used car. They fix 'em up a little and sell them for a profit. By fix them up, I mean improve the profitability on paper which usually means combining work forces, distribution, purchasing power, and so on. They often sell of the rights to a product made by that company. Said company is then sold to somebody else who thinks they can run it better. Eventually every last drop of blood is squeezed out of the company until it no longer resembles it's original mission and has been purged of it's culture.

Per former Chrysler engineers and some other well placed folks in the industry: The part to blame was Mercedes! They came into the operation with a hard headed idea that wouldn't work in the real world, and 80% of their ideas were unusable. They took proven product lines and literally destroyed them. Scrapped engineering concept designs that were way ahead of the rest of the industry for their Nazi junk. They even tried to scrap the Cummins deisel engine program for their own engines (known to be junk). One of the very first things they scrapped was the heavyduty transmission program after it was 70% tooled up. This unit was proven to hold up under most any medium duty deisel engine out there. Mercedes came into the place with the idea in the back of their heads that U.S. engineering was second class, and were amongst the most hard headed folks I've ever been around. (the worst is also based in Michigan)

I once heard a story about the guy who started Honda in Japan. You could never find the guy because he was always on the floor of his plants. Point being, he was a car guy and that's where his passion was. Compare that to the principals of an investment group who may take the occasional guided tour of their own facilities and retreat into their offices. Not that they don't work hard, I'm sure they do but their passion can't be held in their hands but rather is on paper.

Honda is a very employee friendly company. They kinda make you part of the family when you get in there. But don't think they were without problems. Still over the last ten years or so they've seriously cleaned up much of their act.

My experience is, it doesn't end well for anyone but the investment group.

My thoughts are that if Marlin wasn't in trouble anyway, they would not have been an attractive acquisition. If they were well run and had a bright future, they would have been sold to someone who loved making guns and wanted to do it for the next 40 years. Often times a newly acquired company is infused with much needed capital and cancerous, self serving management is cut out quickly which can be a good thing. I completely agree with Marlin's production stoppage but lets not mistake that decision with intelligence. By knowingly releasing all those poorly produced firearms onto a loyal customer base, they have effectively run the ship into the iceberg and stopping the engines won't fix the leak. Still... a Phoenix may arise from the ashes. Marlin's outcome is not yet pre-determined but the stench of failure is ripe.

remember that it's near impossible to sell a business that's not making money! Marlin was in the black, and that's why they bought it. I suspect that they thought they could increase the net profits by combining the divisions, but of course it blew up in their face.
gary

Sure is Mike, same group. You see, it was never publicized but Chrysler had millions in secured funds in their pension plan for 'future' retirees. That made them a cash cow and the investment company wanted that cash, well them and Diamler and they got it.

Marchonni got the company in the end but all he got was the physical plant and the worker liability. The capital was already sucked out, but then, I'm not a fan of Marchoni either. The company I work for almost went Chapter 11 over the Chrysler deal. Business manipulations have far reaching spin off consequences.

The one reason why I find Romney less than likeable. He's an 'investment' guy. The workers and the stockholders loose and the investment company makes a fortune. IMO, still a better choice than what we have at present.....

I think Chrysler will survive with the new ownership. But in what direction they're headed I can't say for sure. The real answer is maybe five years out, but I do know about some designs they have in the works.

They have shrank the company to the point that it's much easier to engineer and design a product line. That's a serious advantage. Engineering wise; G.M. is still the world leader in capability, and size. I find it interesting that Chrysler has not ventured into the hybrid car markets yet, and also know the possess some engineering designs that are the envy of the industry. Probably a money issue, and with them being a private company they can do whatever they want without the U.S. Government dictating to them.

I want to see all the Big Three survive this economical disaster, as the economy needs it.
gary

So do I Gary, so do I....

......though more so as far as Fords is concerned. My family is deeply rooted in Ford Motor. which is kind of interesting in as much as I'm married to a Ransome E. Olds great grandaughter. Mullaly was at my niece's wedding 2 years ago, so was Henry Ford Jr.

The auto industry is very intertwined in everything we do and our lives here in SE Michigan and NW Ohio.

BTW, it wasn't Mercedes Benz but rather Diamler Benz. Diamler is the parent company. They still own Freightliner and Western Star Trucks and controlling interest in Sterling and a bunch of other companies in related businsses.

I stll want an opinion on a Henry. Guess I'll have to start a thread on that.....lol

So do I Gary, so do I....

......though more so as far as Fords is concerned. My family is deeply rooted in Ford Motor. which is kind of interesting in as much as I'm married to a Ransome E. Olds great grandaughter. Mullaly was at my niece's wedding 2 years ago, so was Henry Ford Jr.

The auto industry is very intertwined in everything we do and our lives here in SE Michigan and NW Ohio.

BTW, it wasn't Mercedes Benz but rather Diamler Benz. Diamler is the parent company. They still own Freightliner and Western Star Trucks and controlling interest in Sterling and a bunch of other companies in related businsses.

I stll want an opinion on a Henry. Guess I'll have to start a thread on that.....lol

I just used Mercedes as a name plate that most folks knew. They are still idiots in my book. Last I heard Mercedes built more heavyduty trucks than all the rest put together, and did 85% of the class A RV chassis built.

Never been a Henry Ford fan as many know. Have no problem with his grand children.
gary

...and all 85% are a PITA to work on. It says Mercedes on the sticker (on the chassis) but it's built in Portland, Oregon at the Freightliner plant they bought.

I could tell you horror stories about Western Star and Freightliner but this is a firearm forum.

Suffic to say, you won't ever catch me in a Fiat.......:D

...and all 85% are a PITA to work on. It says Mercedes on the sticker (on the chassis) but it's built in Portland, Oregon at the Freightliner plant they bought.

I could tell you horror stories about Western Star and Freightliner but this is a firearm forum.

Suffic to say, you won't ever catch me in a Fiat.......:D

I was in the heavyduty power pack business, and have just about seen them all at one time or another. Did a lot of work in the experimental testing areas retrofitting dynos for the latest and greatest invention to man kind<g>!!

As for Fiat; it's not so much Fiat, as what it also brings to the table. They have some very serious engineering groups under their wings.
gary

I got an e-mail yesterday from Remington that they were sending my rifle back. They had it for 7 days. I'd say that's a pretty good turn around time considering the storm and all.

Update:

Well, I shot my returned 338 Marlin Express MX today. It took a week to ship to and a week to ship from and a week to repair. Seems reasonable to me. What I got back absolutely flabbergasted me. Everything worked as it should. I was shocked. It actually worked. Put bullet in long skinny thing, cycle the action, pull the trigger ant it goes boom. In the last couple of years these rifles wouldn't do that. Of course I still have one vacationing at the gunsmith because the Marlin factory return couldn't fix that rifle??? Still, I have one that works. I was a little concerned that taking it apart would somehow have a negative affect on the accuracy and of course it did. I wanted to post a pic of it's tack driving ability but I'm afraid I no can do. That tight group in the first pic of this thread is now stringing horizontally. It's a good thing I don't have anything better to do. Under normal circumstances that would bother me but considering that I can now shoot it two or three times in a row without a malfunction makes years of spoiled hunts all worth it. Actually, elk season ended yesterday so I missed that one too. I actually should be grateful to Marlin because although these rifles accounted for a couple of spoiled hunts/wasted money, simply not having a functional Marlin during hunting season actually prevented me from taking time off work and spending more money. I should send them a fruit basket.

The important thing here is that if you send your rifle back for repair, there's at least a 50/50 chance that it will be returned on a timely basis with the problem fixed.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts