Thoughts on Lever Action

Thanks for the reply. I don't see any reason that sight wouldn't work the same on the 1895G. Both are heavy 18-1/2" barrels. I'm interested how it works out for you. I would like to have backup sights on my rifle. I'm toying with getting a little lower front to keep the rear down lower under the scope. I tried a Burris Veracity 2-10 on it and it was ok but the scope had a windage issue and had to go back plus it was plenty big IMO. I have this on it now but haven't shot it. I'm direct with Athlon and for the money they are tough to beat.

This I what I really want for it, mil version:

I have seen most of the safety deletes and am probably being too fussy. I'd like one that looks like another factory pin/screw, like it was meant to be there.

Look at the beartoothmercantile.com , Marlin Basic Safety Delete .
It fits flush with both side plates , and has a slotted screw head on right side , and looks like smooth , rounded bolt end on left side of receiver . Available in blued or stainless .
They also have instructions on website for replacing the safety block .

DMP25-06

So my OCD can be pretty bad sometimes. :rolleyes:

Beartooth is out of the stainless ones. I'll be interested to hear how the finish matches your rifle.
I'm sure Doug Turnbulls are steller but that comes at a cost.
I don't know about the Ranger Point, slotted might fit the other parts better

Martin
I am considering picking up a lever action. This would not be a go-to hunting rifle, and certainly not a long range gun.
I might not even scope it.

I'd be interested in thoughts on Winchester 1894s, especially any pros- and-cons of pre-and post '64. This would be a plinker and maybe a truck gun, so not really interested in a pristine 120 year old gun for $3000++. I would not mind such a gun as a collector some day, just not today.

Others in the mix might be Marlin 336 or any of the Henrys.

Caliber-wise, I'm thinking either .30-30, for price of ammo and availability, or possibly .44 Magnum, in which case I'd have a revolver and short duty rifle that shot the same ammo.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on these choices, namely does one stand out as generally holding up better, or having a smoother cycling action, better iron sights, etc.

I've not shot lever actions much. My Dad's Henry Golden Boy in .45 LC, and a friend's .45-70, long ago. That's about it.
Marlin 336 is **** fine weapon. I picked up a Win 1894 made in 1907 Oct bbl rifle a few years ago. Dang thing cuts same hole at 50yds with hornady lever evolution 160gr factory ammo! I also have multiple Savage 99's, which are fine shooters also don't overlook Savage 99, in 22 Hi power to 38-55 win. Yes a 30-30 is in the mix. Personally I'm partial to pre 64 as I will not scope the rifle, special feeling and nostalgia you get when you hold a 100+year old rifle.

I received my safety delete for my Marlin 1895G in mail today and I now have it installed .
Following are before and after photos of cross-bolt safety and safety delete .
Also a photo of fiber-optic front sight that I have installed to replace the front blade-type front sight that is part of the XS Sight Systems Ghost-ring sights , that I had earlier installed .

It will probably be 2 weeks before I can go shoot again .
I will give my opinion of the fiber-optic sight after shooting .

DMP25-06

Attachments

• IMG_1068.jpeg
    IMG_1068.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1069.jpeg
    IMG_1069.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1071.jpeg
    IMG_1071.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1072.jpeg
    IMG_1072.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1070.jpeg
    IMG_1070.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 116
I am considering picking up a lever action. This would not be a go-to hunting rifle, and certainly not a long range gun.
I might not even scope it.

I'd be interested in thoughts on Winchester 1894s, especially any pros- and-cons of pre-and post '64. This would be a plinker and maybe a truck gun, so not really interested in a pristine 120 year old gun for $3000++. I would not mind such a gun as a collector some day, just not today.

Others in the mix might be Marlin 336 or any of the Henrys.

Caliber-wise, I'm thinking either .30-30, for price of ammo and availability, or possibly .44 Magnum, in which case I'd have a revolver and short duty rifle that shot the same ammo.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on these choices, namely does one stand out as generally holding up better, or having a smoother cycling action, better iron sights, etc.

I've not shot lever actions much. My Dad's Henry Golden Boy in .45 LC, and a friend's .45-70, long ago. That's about it.
Ok....get a Model 71...348 Winchester...what else....😄 The Browning reproductions made in the 80's are not really collector items and boy do they shoot. You will never pull up a finer lever rifle....and the 348 is the pinnacle of lever gun cartridgrs. Arguably the 444 and 45-70 fill a niche for animals that can really hurt you but the 348 when considering what most people will hunt is king. It's a reloading affair and the Hornady 200 grain flat points are very economical and good for paper and deer but the 250 and 220 Barnes Originals are for anything in North America. I did have a Barnes O separate on a bear so 250 Alaskan Bullet Works are bonded as a choice. ABW's get little action on paper....too many $. What ever you get......please do not scope that lever gun and get a receiver sight if you dont want to shoot the irons.

Finally shot the Winchester 94. In Ohio, you pretty much have to take a rifle to a range. Not much public land here where you can shoot unsupervised. Many state parks have ranges. But they have been closed. So, one indoor (!) range was open with a rifle backstop. Shot flawlessly. Recoil with the .30-30 fairly mild. More than a .223 or 5.56, sure, but less than .270, .308. My wife even put 5-6 rounds downrange.

Range was ridiculously short, so book is still open on what it would do at 100 yards or more.
But the iron sights acquire a picture pretty quickly. Being a Win, I probably will not scope it.

Sooner or later I'll figure out how to post pictures
Nothing collectible about this one, but it has a nice stock, very, very few handling marks, and overall in pretty darn good shape. Post-1964 New Haven gun.

I finally got out to the range to shoot my Marlin 1895G in .45-70 , after removing the cross-block safety and replacing the front sight with a fiber-optic style sight . It was great not having to worry with the cross bolt safety , and the rifle still has the traditional half-cocked hammer position that served as a safe position for the previous century .
I do not like this fiber-optic front sight that I purchased . It is not bright enough to help me with aiming . I was hoping that it would be brighter .
So , back to trying to find a front sight that is easier for aged eyes to see .
I will post later , if I find something that is an improvement .

Thank You ,
DMP25-06

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.