Thoughts on Hammers on elk (out of a 6.5 CM)

I wonder how many deer, elk, moose, and bears fell to the 30-30 from 1900 to 1950?

With the 30-30 being such a pathetically slow, under powered round….and having horrible BC….it surely couldn't have killed much of anything……

Come to think of it, I'm still amazed that 170gr flat point out of my Trapper model didn't bounce off that buck at 20 yards???

Methinks the 6.5 cm will do fine, but a man's gotta know his limitations when using his tools.

I've killed 7 elk now. Our group together is over 20 in the last 8 years. We have 2-7mags, 300 win, 300 rum, 28 nosler. Majority one and done. I could pedal my *** to yhe grocery store I'd get there but a corvette would get me there quicker. I own 3 creedmoors. Ones set up for dogs. The others only eat paper. Personally when it comes to hunting I prefer magnums with heavy pills. That's me. You do you. I think most bullets 500 yards would b the limit. As others said shot placement etc. Good luck!

The 6.5CM will do ok on elk. Within reasonable responsible yardages. No different than other cartridges, know your rifle, know the ballistics and terminal performance of the bullet for the size of the game you are hunting.

Can't believe I just said this^^^^! But to be fair its no different when any cartridge is used beyond its practical hunting range for LARGE game animals like elk.

Like many have stated, broadside away from shoulder would be best option. Hunting circumstances do not always cooperate which is why I like .300WM.

Smart man there Wyo!

I just called Carson @ Lilja and have the barrel ordered, it'll go about .65" at the muzzle at 23" and scoped, sling, rounds it'll be less than 7 lbs and will go a long long ways when it comes to taking out elk. Will most likely use a 139 Scenar....gasp. But perhaps a Hammer as I love to promote those from the state:)

If I reloaded the 139 scenar would be a top 3 pick for me. Until then, 140 eldm or 143 eldx.

Y'all got yourselves worked up. Following bc I just built an 18" 6.5 CM and plan to pop whitetails with it and maybe some larger animals like elk.

For anyone shooting 124 hammers, what was your go-to powder in the 6.5 CM?
Sta bil 6.5 and superformance seemed to give good velocity. Sta bil 6.5 was a 1/2" shooter in my rifle and superformance was 3/4" AVE. This was for about 5- 5 shot groups of each. There are probably many other powders that will work fine with the 124 HH, but I happen to have several pounds of each of these. 2900+ FPS was not a problem in a 22" barrel. I tried various seating depths, but as Steve has repeatedly mentioned - it didn't matter. I was gonna try magnum primers as has been suggested, but that will have to come later. Also got good groups with Barnes LRX 127 Gr bullets 1/2" but only a little over 2800 FPS. Last years mulie fell to this load.

Taking that 1800 fps range I'm guessing that the 123 Absolute would be good to go to 500 give or take a bit. 500 is plenty far for me in open country that is public land. Now on private land I'd feel comfy going a lot further if the bullets up to it.
My CM likes the 124 HH
24", 1-8", CA
Nosler case
F210
COAL 2.716
.02 jump
RL-16 / 44.0 gr
2978 fps

3 shots at 385 yd (2 in same hole)

Attachments

• 6.5 CM - 124 HH target - 385 yds.jpeg
    6.5 CM - 124 HH target - 385 yds.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Don't sweat it. If you know what you're doing and work with the 1800 fps bottom line, you'll get better penetration out of the 124 HH than you will with the heavier cup & cores. Just my experience. Been very impressed do far.

If you need more reassurance, check out this thread.

I think that we've had a bit over 50 responses so far and not one direct response from someone who's actually used a Hammer out of a CM on an elk...:)

Shocker eh

I wonder how many deer, elk, moose, and bears fell to the 30-30 from 1900 to 1950?

With the 30-30 being such a pathetically slow, under powered round….and having horrible BC….it surely couldn't have killed much of anything……

Come to think of it, I'm still amazed that 170gr flat point out of my Trapper model didn't bounce off that buck at 20 yards???

Methinks the 6.5 cm will do fine, but a man's gotta know his limitations when using his tools.
This!