Thoughts on Colorado OTC any sex tag

But let me lay some knowledge on you guys, every year there are more hunters here in Colorado no matter which season but especially archery. That being said most elk are killed by the same people every year. Once you learn an area and become an elk hunter it can be done consistently. But to think you're going to come here out of the blue and take an elk on public land is a tall order. Not saying it doesn't happen but I'll bet for every one newcomer that kills an elk five are killed by longtime elk hunters. So yes if you want a guaranteed elk to go to a ranch, otherwise put in the time, money, and effort it takes to be an elk hunter.

Yep, it is commonplace. Do not think for a minute anything will be done about it, those ranchers pay property taxes so they have more pull than any number of bitching hunters. I actually watch it every year but we kill elk every year so I don't fuss too much, although last year I heard a guy say he was going to start shooting elk on the guys land and leave them lying there to rot. I would not condone such action but I do understand his frustration, as several times the herd was making its way back to public land only to be turned back by the rancher in his jeep.
Game Warden said if I had proof (video), he would handle it. I take him at his word. This type of behavior (along with an outfitter doing elk drives with guys on horses and customers in a skirmish line on the receiving end ((on public land)), and another trying to run people off public access land) shouldn't be the norm. But it seems it has been for me, along with some harassment from locals. But I'm not as easily stirred, plus for every A-hole I encounter there seems to be 5-10 more that are welcoming.

Game Warden said if I had proof (video), he would handle it. I take him at his word. This type of behavior (along with an outfitter doing elk drives with guys on horses and customers in a skirmish line on the receiving end ((on public land)), and another trying to run people off public access land) shouldn't be the norm. But it seems it has been for me, along with some harassment from locals. But I'm not as easily stirred, plus for every A-hole I encounter there seems to be 5-10 more that are welcoming.
That's good to hear, I'll get some video this season.

The average elk hunter kills one elk every 7 years. That's not a bull, that is any elk. There's also the old 80/20 rule, 20% of the elk hunters kill 80% of the elk. Public land elk hunting is as far from a sure thing as it gets. If you want as close as you can get to a sure thing it sounds like the NM tag is your best option for the same price as it sounds like meat is your primary concern.

To me its a no brainer, for the same money go to NM. If just the challenge of the hunt is what your looking for CO will fit that bill. You will work your *** off to kill a rag horn in CO.

The thing to be careful for in NM is how much land you will have to hunt. Some of those LO get cow tags on 50 acre and its very hit and miss if the elk will be there. If its a descent size place it should be a slam dunk on a cow tag. Last LO cow tag I had I hunted 10 minutes saw about 80 elk, and killed one I could back my truck up to.

NM sounds like a better chance at filling the freezer, but... if you want the challenge. and i mean challenge of Killing an elk and everything that goes with it, go to CO.
I have hunted many many OTC tags in CO and i have only filled a few of them, most of the elk i have killed in CO have been Cow tags from the draw.

If the landowner tag has a sizeable chunk of land and a resident herd, then definetly take that tag and go do your thing. But also dont let everyone scare you out of hunting a CO OTC tag. I look forward to going to CO every year to hunt, even against all the odds, its a challenge and i love it.

Yep, it is commonplace. Do not think for a minute anything will be done about it, those ranchers pay property taxes so they have more pull than any number of bitching hunters. I actually watch it every year but we kill elk every year so I don't fuss too much, although last year I heard a guy say he was going to start shooting elk on the guys land and leave them lying there to rot. I would not condone such action but I do understand his frustration, as several times the herd was making its way back to public land only to be turned back by the rancher in his jeep.

As mentioned, get some real evidence and without doubt, the officers at CP&W will take it seriously.

I wish i could say i believe you. For multiple years we have caught ranchers driving elk off public and onto private. We have had video, trail camera pics and detailed timelines. CPW has done nothing. We have caught them using spotting planes as well. CPW did nothing. The landowners in CO have way more pull than we like to think.

Jason,

Why don't you name those ranches here, and post the ranch names and videos to YouTube?

Publicity would make it more difficult for state politicians to cover for them. You might thus also make the ranch/outfitters show up in online searches.

Success is in the eye of the beholder.... any elk is good meat and a fair amount. Going to an organized hunt has its advantages if you have never been. I did a semi-organized hunt first with the outfitter providing the camp and pre-season scouting (1 day) with suggested locations and familiarization, and help quartering and packing out if successful, and recommendations for processing. The following year with that knowledge I went back on my own with friends. Much learned. Third time I did a guided hunt in western CO and was successful... 4x4. That followed BYU a horse pack hunt in WY guided... roughest hunt I ever did but successful with a 5x5. More knowledge under the belt. Now I am looking for that 6x6 or better. Good luck. First time I would have been happy with a cow for the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.