OTC Colorado Elk

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by Backcountry_IDN, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Backcountry_IDN

Backcountry_IDN Well-Known Member

Hey sorry guys, accidentally posted this in 'Deer'

So, I didnt draw in Wyoming. Looking for options, opinions, and advice from anyone on what to do. I have really been wanting to do an out of state hunt these past few years but college kind of prevented that.

Now at this point in my life I can. I didnt draw in Wyoming for deer which would of been a 2 hour drive from where I am (southeast Idaho), now if I decide to go to Colorado for elk its more like a 10 hour drive. Ton of Gas but I believe I can do it. Obviously I wouldnt know the area or how to hunt it. I would have enough Vacation for 5-7 days off. Which would leave me with 2 days of drive time. 3-5 days to hunt. Looking at rifle since I bow hunt Idaho.

Or, should I just buy an "out of state" tag for Idaho and rifle hunt a "so, so" unit? We call it "the five day war" because of the people that go.

2. livetohunt

livetohunt Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Your talking about buying a second elk tag? I’m planning on doing that next year so I can archery hunt a good unit and then also rifle hunt. If your interested in second tag hunt relatively close to you I can point you to some areas that no one hunts becuause no ones willing to hike 3000 feet of elevation in a mile.

I have too many areas and not enough time.

3. Backcountry_IDN

Backcountry_IDN Well-Known Member

Sorry should've specified. Yes I'm debating if I'm going to buy another tag. I archery hunt a great unit with monsters in it. But I've always wanted to rifle hunt for bull elk lol. You're up in the selway right? I forgot lol

4. Rhino55

Rhino55 Well-Known Member

I did not draw a elk or deer tag in Colorado this year. Looking for 3rd season OTC or left over cow tags.

5. Hitlist Outfitters

Hitlist Outfitters Member

We have a few openings in southeastern Colorado. Archery, second, and third rifle are all OTC. Price would include food and lodging. If you would like the details on it, feel free to pm me or email [email protected].

6. Laelkhunter

Laelkhunter Well-Known Member

Hitlist Outfitters, what GMU units do you hunt?

7. Hitlist Outfitters

Hitlist Outfitters Member

134 and 141