OTC tag Colorado

Archer357

So buddy said, hey, you're getting new rifle , let's go to Colorado elk hunting with over the counter tag. I this a good idea? Should I wait for the draw next year?
any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you !

Not a bad idea, at all. You can find out a lot of things about elk hunting, that will help you in the future. For a fairly cheap price, you can learn about the equipment you need or don't need, how to get in physical condition, how to locate where the elk are, & so on.

That first elk hunt will either light a fire in you to continue or to quit. It's up to you, but there's nothing quite as exciting as seeing a bull sneaking thru the timber, in your sights.

When you've made up your mind make the trip here, the one best piece of advice I can offer you is this: Start a conditioning program ASAP! The Rockies are unforgiving to those from lower altitudes.
I started my workout regimen on Monday draw day, when I find out what tags I'v drawn & where i'm going!

Update: put in for second draw cow tag. Buddy wants to try unit 17 in Colorado. If no luck in draw still going with OTC tag. Need to break in new rifle and get my butt in gear training. Thanks everyone 😁

Gonna say...cow tags are definitely cheaper, if you can still get one. Definitely give it a try. If no cow tags and money no issue, each buy a bull tag. If money is tight just have one of you with a tag and the other can help and be in the woods, learning just as much. You'd be bummed if you each had shots at legal Bulls, but out of state bull tags are a bit pricey.

Most of the trick is just learning an area, and elk behavior in general so no time like the present to start.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts