This month was my first time ever hunting... Ever.

Rich Coyle

Congratulations! I enjoyed reading your story. A very ethical hunt, which more should should try for. I am not of the opinion that anyone and everyone is capable of 1000 yard shots and most are not. I really like this site as a learning tool but I am afraid to many people feel if HE can shoot that far so can I. Here in the open country and the mountains of Wy when we are riding to check and move cows I too often run across wounded and dead animals that I feel were left to dye because people thought they missed at an extremely long distance so they didn't follow up. Sorry for the rant!! Guess I got up on the wrong side of the bed

Here in Western Oregon there are few places to take a long range shot. And yet there are deer wounded every year. Many think if the deer doesn't drop at the shot they missed and they move on.

Slim in Wyo

I started to rant!! Thought better of it and deleated it. I've seen some things in 60+ years of hunting that I prefer not to dwell on. I have spent most of my life ranching in Colorado and Wyoming. I graduated from the first hunter safety class in Colorado card # is #13! I just wish more people would try to be more compassionate about what they put out there for the ones who are trying to take our lively hoods away from us to see!!!

Rich Coyle

I started to rant!! Thought better of it and deleated it. I've seen some things in 60+ years of hunting that I prefer not to dwell on. I have spent most of my life ranching in Colorado and Wyoming. I graduated from the first hunter safety class in Colorado card # is #13! I just wish more people would try to be more compassionate about what they put out there for the ones who are trying to take our lively hoods away from us to see!!!

What do you mean by "more compassionate"? This is a hunting sight where we talk about shooting and killing.

Slim in Wyo

What do you mean by "more compassionate"? This is a hunting sight where we talk about shooting and killing.
I don't mean on this Site!! When you drive down the road and see someone with their tailgate down on a jacked up pickup and a bloody deer with its tung hanging out in plain sight to me is not helping people under stand hunting!!! I am not talking about ethical hunters and maybe not you but I wonder why you jumped on what I said so hard without thinking. I have said my piece so I am dropping this here. I am trying not to rant.

Rich Coyle

I am not a hunting evangelist. I don't know any hunting evangelists who try to help "people understand hunting." We hunt for sport. One of my friends is a trophy hunter. He will not kill anything unless it is "better" than his last one. He does not try to help "people understand hunting." He wants few hunters.

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.