Anyone ever hunt Clear Lake

deerhunter64

I finally got drawn for an antelope hunt in California after about 25 years of applying. If you hunted this area before I'd like to know how your hunt went. I imagine it will be pretty darn hot. Did you see plenty of antelope and pass until you found a nice shooter or did you shoot at the first one you found? Was it a fun hunt? Thanks

I never hunted the clear lake area did not know there were any there but if the zone go south towards maxwell area seen a lot there.I have been drawn twice in calif buck and doe in the likely tables area up north of susanville, good luck call the local game warden

I live south east of Clear Lake in Colusa county, I've never seen nor heard of an Antelope in this area (been wrong before). I've only heard of them in the North Eastern part of Ca.

Ok, just had to look that zone up. I too have seen antelope around Maxwell but didn't know they had a zone down there. After looking at the zone it's up north of the big valley zone, so makes since. Not sure there is even a clear lake up there, wonder why it's called that?

Either way good luck! I was drawn back in 14 for the archery big valley hunt. The big buck I was chasing got hit by a car (sure pope and young buck) on the second day of the season so I shot a smaller one on the third day. Some good eating!!
2536C3B1-9B9D-48A8-A92E-1650BEFEB629.jpeg

I believe they call it that because part of it is on the Clear Lake National Wildlife Refuge. It is way up in North Eastern California near the Oregon border. Nice picture by the way. Hunt starts in 11 days

My hunt did not last that long. My father in law and I scouted for two days in our area and didn't see anything. We had access to the Clear Lake National Wildlife Refuge on opening day. Today I saw a group of 8 antelope about 900 yards away. I was going to work my way towards that herd when I spotted a lone buck off to my right. He was getting out of dodge since I am positive he saw us. He slowed down to a trot and then stopped at about 464 yards away. By the time I was ready for a shot , he had increased the distance to about 480 yards. 500 yards is my comfort zone right now. One shot from a Nosler E-tip and he was down. He is very nice. It was 650 am and the hunt started at 6am. I will post a picture as soon as I ask my son how to do that. headed out again a few hours later to get one for my father in law but after an hour or so, we decided we were not that interested in hunting in 94 degree temperature with NO shade anywhere at all.

Today my father in law shot a nicer buck than mine in the ClearLake National Wildlife Refuge. We started at 6am and by 9am I spotted a lone buck baby sitting about 10 does. There was basically no vegetation anywhere. The tallest bushes were pushing maybe 20 inches. I spotted a nice buck and we had to shed our packs and crawl to a suitable location to make a shot. Numerous cuts later we closed the distance to approximately 100 yards. I don't know how they never spotted us. We waited about 40 mins until the buck needed to stretch his legs. A few seconds later and boom! One nice buck down. Getting him back to the truck was almost an impossible task dealing with the heat, no shade, a million mosquitoes, all the pumice rock on the trail , and a poor assessment of our drinking water needs. It was a great hunt.

Back in '73 a buddy and I applied for CA Antelope tags. He'd been trying for over 10 years with no luck. So I placed them in my Company envelope and we were drawn. First year for me... :) We both filled out tags. Can't remember were he shot his, but mine came off Mud Flat Reservoir up on the Devils Garden west of Goose Lake in Lassen Co. We saw lots of speed goats, but for one reason or another I just didn't see anything I wanted. On the last day we drove back up on the garden and spotted this goat trail that we hadn't noticed the last time thru there. So we took it and it led to this earth dam. We climbed up the face and on the other side was a herd of antelopes with a big buck off to the side at about 50 yds away. One shot one kill... Now I'm too dang old to even climb that dam... :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.