Thinking of getting a muzzle break and suppressor.

boattailed bandit

So guys im working on my first build. I have a stock savage 10 .308. I plan on rebarreling to a varmint profile. I would like to add a break to lighten the already low recoil (makes my wife more likely to shoot it). The plan would be a thread on break. I would also like to get a suppresor for range time enjoyment .... And because why not? Lol. Anyways my question is do they make a break that can have a suppressor threaded on to it? Or am i looking at a threaded on break that ill have to tale off and place my supressor every time i go to use it? Just curious because i dont know. Thanks for any input.

I would get a Silencerco Saker 762. You can put on a muzzlebrake or flashhider that allows quick detachment of the suppressor. You can also get direct thread mount attachments. The 762 has multiple end cap options as well. With this one can you can suppress your 223 all the way up to a 300 ultramag I believe.

Once you get a suppressor you won't shoot your muzzle break anymore it will be a thread protector

Advanced Armament Co. 762-SDN-6 suppressor and their brake are what I use on my Savage 10 FLCPK in .308 and am very happy with it.
I also use the suppressor on my 300 AAC Blackout with subsonics and it's a dream to shoot.

Thanks for all the info guys! Just wonderin, has anybody tried a suppressor with a factory sporter barrel? The factory barrel shoots the lights out right now so i prolly wont replace it for a good bit. Would that mess up the harmonics on the barrel too much or add too much barrel whip?

IMO, forget the attached muzzle brakes geared to quick attach to a suppressor.

Those are really for tactical situations and not needed in your case. Plus you are looking at an extra $150+ per gun for the suppressor and installation minimum.

In almost every report they are also less effective versus their similar screw ons. Put the extra money into a better suppressor. Volume counts and a suppressor for a magnum is bigger and quieter.

I have the Liberty Victory Magnum Titanium screw on and it is very very quiet. We have tested it with a Blackout and it is 83 DB while my buddies is over 100. I shoot it on a (3) 300 blackouts, 223, 6.5x47, 280 AI, 308 and 300 WSM rifles. What I saved in "tacti-cool" quick attachs allowed me to buy a better suppressor and it is worth every penny.

Plus I carried and shot tactical QD suppressors in SOF and they work OK, but not like the screw ons for quiet.

I finally got my Specwar 762 mounted on my Mod 70 300 Win Mag with sporter barrel...love it! I had the barrel cut to 21.5 inches (necessary to get the right shoulder for the QD) and have seen no impact to accuracy (though _I_ shoot a lot better now without the recoil or the noise) or velocity (numbers when I get a decent chrono). Some observations:

1) the thing is a beast (24 oz, about 10 inches) and lugging it on the end of the barrel, through brush and up Colorado mountains is not for the faint of heart. However, it is so easy to put on, I carry it my my pack and add it when I get to where I am hunting. I am really glad I got the barrel cut down for this. The QD brake would allow for quick shots w/o the recoil if I am surprised by a critter while moving (though I suspect I would not actually pull the trigger unless it was a once-in-a-lifetime trophy...sucker is noisy w/o the can and with the short barrel). In more open scrub (not ducking under branches) it stays on the barrel.

2) Recoil--about like a .223. WOW! Much nicer to shoot than my Rem 750 autoloader in .308 or Savage .243. Eye relief is no factor anymore...no scope-eye danger. Makes the .300WM wife-shootable.

3) Sound suppression: astounding. Basically ear safe, quieter than my 26" .17HMR. Deeper sound, and yes, you still get the sonic crack, but it is a joy to shoot. 100 rounds while working up a good load was no issue on either the shoulder or the ear (I still use plugs when target shooting, even .22s). Hitting steel with it is so much fun, and you can hear the impact on different types of targets easily.
Bottom line: I love this can, and would recommend it. Rated up to 300 RUM (one reason I got it), it works great on my AR-15 (with slidefire stock...what fun), and my Sig P516 (short barrel), though both are a bit louder than the .300WM due to the action cycling and smaller bullet/bigger hole. I have some hearing loss from hunting, flying, and a close call with an IED, so hearing is a big deal to me...I plan on never hunting without this again. Yes, I could have gotten a new gun with a heavy barrel, but this Winchester has taken about 10 elk and more deer than I can count. Also, it was in hand, which helps with the marital/financial side of the hunting equation.

IMO, forget the attached muzzle brakes geared to quick attach to a suppressor.

Those are really for tactical situations and not needed in your case. Plus you are looking at an extra $150+ per gun for the suppressor and installation minimum.

In almost every report they are also less effective versus their similar screw ons. Put the extra money into a better suppressor. Volume counts and a suppressor for a magnum is bigger and quieter.

I have the Liberty Victory Magnum Titanium screw on and it is very very quiet. We have tested it with a Blackout and it is 83 DB while my buddies is over 100. I shoot it on a (3) 300 blackouts, 223, 6.5x47, 280 AI, 308 and 300 WSM rifles. What I saved in "tacti-cool" quick attachs allowed me to buy a better suppressor and it is worth every penny.

Plus I carried and shot tactical QD suppressors in SOF and they work OK, but not like the screw ons for quiet.

I understand and agree with your point that the screw on types are better at doing their job; suppress noise.

But, suppressors need to be removed often. What if you use a suppressor for range and competition use, but your state does not allow a suppressor to be used for hunting? When cleaning your guns barrel the suppressor must be removed so as not to catch solvent and gunk on the baffles. And you also mention the need for extra QD's for multiple guns, indicating a suppressor being used on several guns. Again, off and on and off and on again. Point is that a suppressor must be removed for many situations. Therefore a screw on type can never truly be permanently mounted, thus allowing room for error in it being a temporary attachment. I've seen for myself and heard about several other occasions where a screw on type suppressor started to back off while shooting the gun. This goes unnoticed. It's not until the end of the session, or string of fire that the owner notices a baffle strike. These instances usually occur because the suppressor was recently removed and put back on. Had there been a muzzle brake permanently attached with a QD lockup for the suppressor those baffle strikes would have been avoided.

Just my two cents. I'll stick with my QD's and suffer the extra 15 dB's that they allow to get past the muzzle.

Look at TBAC suppressors. Ive got the 22L-1, 223P-2, 30P-1, and 338BA. They all work outstanding for noise and recoil reduction. I shot a 2.5 inch group at 1100 with my 338 edge suppressed and a 3.8 inch group at 1170 with my 6.5x47 with the 30P-1. Recoil with my 18 lb 6.5x47 is between a 22lr and 223. The recoil reduction on my 338 enables me to spot my hits no problem at 600. Noise on the 338 is less than my unsuppressed 22lr pistol. I got a few instock with great prices also.

Ryan Pierce
Piercision Rifles
www.piercisionrifles.com

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.