Thinking of a 6 - 24 x 50 Vortex Razor AMG

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Litehiker, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Litehiker

Litehiker Well-Known Member

I'm close to buying a 6 - 24 x 50 Vortex Razor AMG for my 6.5 CM Ruger Amer. Predator for hunting. This rifle is extremely accurate (1/2 MOA) with Hornady 143 gr. ELD-X rounds and deserves a good scope.
    Presently the RAP has an "adequate" SWFA 5- 15 x 42 scope, FFP, mil/mil, side focus.

SO... anyone here have experience with the AMG?

Eric B.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  2. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

I have owned an AMG with the Mil, E-BR7 reticle for a a little less then 2 years. I bought it for PRS competition and possible use as a hunting scope due to its lighter weight. After a month of use I had to send it in for service for s sticking turret. This turned out to be a failed o-ring in the turret. Three other buddies had the same issue. Vortex service is excellent, with the scope returned within a week. Since fixed, the scope has performed flawlessly. Overall, tracking is excellent aa is the parallax/focus control. The glass is on par with my older ATACR’s, but not as good as the newer ATCR-F1, March, or S&B in the same magnification range. I personally would not use this scope for hunting. The E-BR-7 reticle gets lost(to my eyes) in the lower magnification ranges(<15x), even in broad daylight.

3. werth338

werth338 Well-Known Member

What is you typical distance for shots when hunting? I have thought about this scope but have passed due to starting at 6x magnification.

4. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

My shots can be 150-1000+ Yards. I rarely go below 5/6X.

5. OH58DViper

OH58DViper Well-Known Member

I use two of them and am very satisfied, love the features and reticle. A gent mentioned the reticle above. I had a Khales turret go haywire on a hunt, so I just used my SKMR2 reticle....after confirming zero of course. I made the shot at 635 with a 12mph 70% value wind call. That’s the benefit of having a EBR or similar reticle, if bad mechanical things happen you’re still in the hunt.

6. jamiebolseth

jamiebolseth Well-Known Member

I have 4 Razor HD AMG's. I use them on target rifles. Two PRS bolt rifles, one precision gas gun, and a 223 trainer. They are excellent scopes. Track perfectly, great glass, every feature I want and nothing I don't.

I haven't really considered them for an all around hunting application as they are a little bigger and heavier than I like for a hunting rifle. And I prefer SFP for hunting. But those preferences aside there's no real reason they wouldn't work great for hunting too.

7. Litehiker

Litehiker Well-Known Member

Greyfox, Thanks for the info on the reticle. I'm used to the H59 reticle on my Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 for PRS use so I figured the EBR -7 reticle would be fine for hunting. I'm going to Sportsman's Warehouse to look at an AMG so I'll check the reticle outside. They let me do that B/C I'm a good customer of theirs, probably too good. ;o)

Eric B.

Greyfox likes this.