Vortex Razor AMG Experiences

Doc88

Looking for comments from those who have the AMG. Glass, turret tracking, use as a hunting scope, low light capabilities durability etc. I have it's big brother the Razor HD GEN II ( a tank) and it's little sister the Razor HD LH both of which I love. Thinking about the AMG for a long range 28 Nosler hunting rig.
...so what are your thoughts.
Thanks
Robby

I have three of them now. If you like your Gen 2, you'll like the AMG. It's a fantastic blending of all the best features in one scope.

Do you have both the EBR7 and 7b reticles. If so which do you prefer?

The 7B is my favorite. I really like the floating dot, but the 7 is excellent too if you find a decent price on a used one.

The Vortex AMG is my wet dream LR hunting scope.
Relatively light, extremely good glass, useful reticles, relatively low dial turrets and world class quality.

AND Made in USA, entirely of US components. Just amazing.

Eric B.

Last edited:
Well I think I might bite the bullet and get one with the new 7B reticle.

FYI. I got my latest AMG MOA 7B from Cabela's in about a week even though it showed as a backorder item. It is listed as the "EBR 7", but it's the "7B". I bought it on a 10% off sale combined with my 5% military discount. I paid the same price as a retail priced NXS. In fact, I paid less for this one than my original AMG that came through the Vortex military program that showed up at my door 12 months after the order was placed.

Getting the AMG for NXS price is an absolute no brainer.

I have the AMG on my 6.5 Creedmoor. Is it nice? Yes, yes it is. Is it $1000 dollars nicer than my Athlon Cronus? Hmmmmm. I tell myself that. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice package, but I have noticed a few things about it I am not that impressed with. It seems to gather alot of CA when you have a situation where you are looking into the sun or at an angle facing the sun. All scopes do this, but I noticed it was pretty severe in the AMG. My locking turrets are almost too stiff to operate, especially when the weather is cold. I really don't use the locking feature all that much, except on the windage. This was just my experience with them, others may be different.

I have the AMG on my 6.5 Creedmoor. Is it nice? Yes, yes it is. Is it $1000 dollars nicer than my Athlon Cronus? Hmmmmm. I tell myself that. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice package, but I have noticed a few things about it I am not that impressed with. It seems to gather alot of CA when you have a situation where you are looking into the sun or at an angle facing the sun. All scopes do this, but I noticed it was pretty severe in the AMG. My locking turrets are almost too stiff to operate, especially when the weather is cold. I really don't use the locking feature all that much, except on the windage. This was just my experience with them, others may be different.

I'll be frank, if i had CA issues on a scope that ran me 2000+ i'd be sending it in. That would drive me insane. My HDMR II is like that though i expected it, it seems to vary scope to scope. Friend of mine claims his DMR II has little to none. Lucky him.

I'll be frank, if i had CA issues on a scope that ran me 2000+ i'd be sending it in. That would drive me insane. My HDMR II is like that though i expected it, it seems to vary scope to scope. Friend of mine claims his DMR II has little to none. Lucky him.

I know. I will send it in, I shoot all the time though and hate the down time. I also noticed if you adjust the set screws for your elevation and windage adjustments just a hair too tight the locking caps become pretty hard to operate. It is easily fixed, but for my caps to operate properly the set screws almost seem loose to me.

Truly amazing scope for what it was designed for - a crossover hunter/tactical that keeps the weight down, provides exceptional glass and mechanics. Is Schmidt & Bender better... yes - in regard to overall glass but the AMG actually controls CA better than Schmidt, but I also can't find a S&B for $2400 nor can I find one with a reticle like the EBR-7. I also like that the AMG is 100% made and sourced in the USA (though Vortex says the reticle will be done in Germany moving forward which is strange since the glass is sourced and ground here in the USA). I had a Kahles Gen III K624i that I loved as a daytime scope, but the AMG (to my eyes) performs better than the Kahles when the light gets low. The only other scopes in this class (under 30oz, 15x or greater magnification, 50mm objective minimum with great turrets and reticle) would be the March 3-24x52 and the Tangent Theta 315M (I wish they would make a 525M) but the TT maxes out at 15x so if you're looking for more magnification you really have the AMG and March to consider which are both superb, but I would sure like to see some competition in this class moving forward. The Schmidt Ultra Shorts come close at around 32oz but at a price tag near $4k it limits who can afford them; last year the Ultra Shorts were above $4k and even though Schmidt has dropped their US Prices by about 15% they are still out of the range for many, I can only assume the stiff competition from many other scope manufacturers have caused Schmidt to reconsider their price point, no longer are they the best in every category, maybe best overall throughout their entire line but Tangent and Minox ZP5 actually have better glass and many other manufacturers have as good of turrets if not better and so forth.

Trumperman have you seen Z Comp Optics? New scopes launching at Shot, with Jeff Huber and an experienced team behind the helm. All components are austrian made with schott glass, assembled in the U.S. 5-27X56 at 37oz and 15" and a 4-20x50 that's 12.8" long and 34oz.

I know. I will send it in, I shoot all the time though and hate the down time. I also noticed if you adjust the set screws for your elevation and windage adjustments just a hair too tight the locking caps become pretty hard to operate. It is easily fixed, but for my caps to operate properly the set screws almost seem loose to me.
Yeah that's the bummer about Vortex they have the best warranty in the business, because you have to use it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.