Thinking of a 6 - 24 x 50 Vortex Razor AMG

Litehiker

I'm close to buying a 6 - 24 x 50 Vortex Razor AMG for my 6.5 CM Ruger Amer. Predator for hunting. This rifle is extremely accurate (1/2 MOA) with Hornady 143 gr. ELD-X rounds and deserves a good scope.
Presently the RAP has an "adequate" SWFA 5- 15 x 42 scope, FFP, mil/mil, side focus.

SO... anyone here have experience with the AMG?

Eric B.

Last edited:
I have owned an AMG with the Mil, E-BR7 reticle for a a little less then 2 years. I bought it for PRS competition and possible use as a hunting scope due to its lighter weight. After a month of use I had to send it in for service for s sticking turret. This turned out to be a failed o-ring in the turret. Three other buddies had the same issue. Vortex service is excellent, with the scope returned within a week. Since fixed, the scope has performed flawlessly. Overall, tracking is excellent aa is the parallax/focus control. The glass is on par with my older ATACR's, but not as good as the newer ATCR-F1, March, or S&B in the same magnification range. I personally would not use this scope for hunting. The E-BR-7 reticle gets lost(to my eyes) in the lower magnification ranges(<15x), even in broad daylight.

What is you typical distance for shots when hunting? I have thought about this scope but have passed due to starting at 6x magnification.

I use two of them and am very satisfied, love the features and reticle. A gent mentioned the reticle above. I had a Khales turret go haywire on a hunt, so I just used my SKMR2 reticle....after confirming zero of course. I made the shot at 635 with a 12mph 70% value wind call. That's the benefit of having a EBR or similar reticle, if bad mechanical things happen you're still in the hunt.

I have 4 Razor HD AMG's. I use them on target rifles. Two PRS bolt rifles, one precision gas gun, and a 223 trainer. They are excellent scopes. Track perfectly, great glass, every feature I want and nothing I don't.

I haven't really considered them for an all around hunting application as they are a little bigger and heavier than I like for a hunting rifle. And I prefer SFP for hunting. But those preferences aside there's no real reason they wouldn't work great for hunting too.

Greyfox, Thanks for the info on the reticle. I'm used to the H59 reticle on my Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 for PRS use so I figured the EBR -7 reticle would be fine for hunting. I'm going to Sportsman's Warehouse to look at an AMG so I'll check the reticle outside. They let me do that B/C I'm a good customer of theirs, probably too good. ;o)

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.