THEE only gun you'd never part with

My Pre 64 Model 70 Alaskan in 338 win mag. My dad bought it new at Reeds Sporting on Main Street In Kalispell. My dad , brother and I have all killed elk with it.

I have one rifle that I did sale that I really regret. It was an Interarms Mark X in 375 H&H mag. That gun was a shooter. Loved shooting it with open sights. It had a three leaf folding rear sight for 100 , 200 and300 yards. My wife was looking at some older pictures recently. She handed me one of her dad holding that rifle. I was a fool all over again.
I have that same rifle, 375H&H Interarms Whitworth Express Rifle.
owned for 40+ years. Performed to perfection with everything from Impala to Cape Buffalo on trips to Africa in my younger days. Beautifully made and exceptionally accurate.
300 yard Okavango Kudu …a long shot for me in those days….Too many memories to consider selling it.
B0F84F43-6A35-4CCA-95BA-A15F30A1610E.jpeg

I have that same rifle, 375H&H Interarms Whitworth Express Rifle.
owned for 40+ years. Performed to perfection with everything from Impala to Cape Buffalo on trips to Africa in my younger days. Beautifully made and exceptionally accurate.
300 yard Okavango Kudu …a long shot for me in those days….Too many memories to consider selling it.
View attachment 445135
Very nice!

Family heirloom. A Stevens Model 404 semi-military on a 44 1/2 frame, chambered in .22 LR and I had an additional barrel made in .30-40 Krag that is exclusively a cast bullet barrel. It was purchased new by my great-grandfather Wilson who worked at the Peters Cartridge Company in Kings Mills, Ohio in the early 20th century. He purchased it with a J. Stevens 6x scope with external adjustments. I had Parsons Scope Service refurbish the scope to good working condition. It's my favorite gun to shoot and I can literally write my name with match .22 LR ammunition at 50 yards from a bench.

Hard to pick just one I guess the one I'd keep at all cost is my dad's 742 carbine 30-06. He bought it new when he was 15 from a local sporting goods store. $89 with a box of shells and a soft case. He passed in March of 2020 and as soon as my son is old enough to hunt with it then it will get passed down for now it's my opening morning rifle.
Close runner up is my Grandpa 760 30-06. Grandma bought it new in 1963 from a local hardware store $99 with a case and box of shells. Have the price tag for it still. It's my opening day afternoon gun
Another close runner up is my Great Grandpa's Winchester Model 12 16ga. Bought in 1914 and from what I was told by my cousin who gave it to me took 7 family members first deer and countless Pat's and Pheasants

Hard to pick just one I guess the one I'd keep at all cost is my dad's 742 carbine 30-06. He bought it new when he was 15 from a local sporting goods store. $89 with a box of shells and a soft case. He passed in March of 2020 and as soon as my son is old enough to hunt with it then it will get passed down for now it's my opening morning rifle.
Close runner up is my Grandpa 760 30-06. Grandma bought it new in 1963 from a local hardware store $99 with a case and box of shells. Have the price tag for it still. It's my opening day afternoon gun
Another close runner up is my Great Grandpa's Winchester Model 12 16ga. Bought in 1914 and from what I was told by my cousin who gave it to me took 7 family members first deer and countless Pat's and Pheasants
Days gone by. Lots of cherished history there!

My Grandpa's Rem 700 chambered in 270 win - grew up as a kid shooting with my Grandpa and Dad.... it was my first "real rifle" I got to hunt with when I was a little older and able to shoot it. Too many memories are attached to that rifle.... all the dings and scratches on the old wood stock of a 40+ year old rifle show the use, hunts, and times spent with loved ones. I don't shoot it anymore, but appreciate it from time to time and get to have a connection to my Grandpa and an older time.

Oh that's a tough one but I made a promise to a great uncle that I intend to keep. He passed on his savage 99 in .243 to me when I was 15. His only conditions were "don't sell it" and "keep it in the family".

But aha!!!! Loophole alert!!!!!! Loophole alert!!!!!!!!!

Keep it in the family….hmmm…that means im honouring the promise to declare it one of my kids' rifle, not mine.

This is quickly turning into a scheme or scam on the OP question

I have a family of 6. 4 kids and my lovely wife. I'm sure each of them would like to have their own gun 🤣🤣🤣🤣.

If bound to the question strictly as in only one gun under my roof I'd give the 99 to my sister and her family and keep my 358 Norma. My .300 win mag is more all around useful but it's a savage 111 nothing special.

My .358 Norma is a unique gun that's special to me. A BRNO ZG47 mauser type action made in 1956.

Last edited:
Oh that's a tough one but I made a promise to a great uncle that I intend to keep. He passed on his savage 99 in .243 to me when I was 15. His only conditions were "don't sell it" and "keep it in the family".

But aha!!!! Loophole alert!!!!!! Loophole alert!!!!!!!!!

Keep it in the family….hmmm…that means im honouring the promise to declare it one of my kids' rifle, not mine.

This is quickly turning into a scheme or scam on the OP question

I have a family of 6. 4 kids and my lovely wife. I'm sure each of them would like to have their own gun 🤣🤣🤣🤣.

If bound to the question strictly as in only one gun under my roof I'd give the 99 to my sister and her family and keep my 358 Norma. My .300 win mag is more all around useful but it's a savage 111 nothing special.

My .358 Norma is a unique gun that's special to me. A BRNO ZG47 mauser type action made in 1956.
It's not a loop hole. You did the right thing. However, your kin must keep the same promise you did. Otherwise, it's a break in the faith!

A model 1895 winchester in 30-06 bought new by my grandfather in 1925. He hunted deer with it in the Adirondack mountains and passed it to me in 1970 upon his death. I was in boot camp at the time. I shot it some over the years, had it restored at considerable expense and passed it to my son who still shoots it. In 2000, I bought the commemorative model in .405 Winchester which I just started loading 260 hammers in.
Trying to keep the old cartridge alive.