The Ultimate Hunting Bullet

I've used the Swift A-Frame on a couple dozen deer, from full-sized mule deer bucks to small-ish whitetail does, and I have been tickled pink with the performance. Minimal meat damage, and only a couple of animals moved after being hit. Exit wounds were nickel to quarter-sized in all cases. I didn't shoot anything beyond about 300 yards, so I can't comment on long-range performance. I will say this, though - an elk / moose bullet in the 30-06 works just fine for me on deer.

No offense, but this really isn't what I'm talking about. This would be a great bullet if I wanted to shoot a grizzly bear or moose inside of 200 yards. But, I'm talking about high BC long-range performance. Plus I like the depth charge effect of the Berger nose.

I miss the Winchester fail safe bullets. Not high BC but they were like a Barnes up front, steel cup with lead behind. Amazing killing bullet
WHAT CALIBER DO YOU NEED I HAVE A LOT OF THE FS 338 250 GRAIN AND SOME OF THE OTHER CALIBERS ,IF I CAN FIND THEIR PLACEMENT, I HAVE MOVED,THANKS BUCK

I am loading the 100 grain nosler ballistic tip and the 120 grain Sierra prohunter for my 50 to 200 yard hunting. They are real accurate in my rifle.

THIS ..... is the ultimate hunting bullet !

IMG_1607.JPG

I have long been a fan of two bullet types:

1. The Partition/A frame design
2. The VLD/High bc, penetrate 2" and open violently dumping energy design

These are very different models, but to me it has always seemed that the best of both worlds would be a VLD shaped Partition with a thinner jacket that would penetrate 2", open aggressively, but still retain some mass to ensure an exit.

Basically, I think it is time for Nosler to modernize the Partition. Don't blast me tradition NP fans, I would suggest doing this as a 2nd offering, not a replacement. The traditional NP still has it's place for shorter ranges and tougher game.

Thoughts?
Not a fan of either.

The first elk I killed with a rifle was a one shot kill at 265 yards with a Nosler Partition shot from my 25-06. I think it was 115 or 117 grains. I also shot a mule deer buck at 625 yards punching both lungs and found the bullet in the far side hide totality intact without any expansion. From there I changed to Remington Core Loct 120 grain bullets and due to a too close for comfort encounter with a Grizzly on an elk hunt I changed my elk rifle to a. 338 Winchester Mag.. Forwarding on I shot elk with. 270 AI, 7mm Rem. Mag. and 300RUM.
The point I am making is that shot placement will allow one to kill with almost any caliber with the appropriate bullet. However, hunting in bear country with a 30 caliber magnum or larger gives one more comfort as shot placement sometimes can't be readily available.

Quite frankly the aerodynamic engineers employed by the bullet manufacturing industry are constantly trying to build the best bullet as it gets them a greater share of the market. If you are reload your bullets you are foolish to be glued to a bullet manufacturing company. You owe it to your rifle to get the most accurate loads for the yardage perimeter you want to shoot. Almost all bullets made today are lethal when shot placement is excellent. Most shooters rarely find ranges of over a thousand yards for practicing shooting regularly. I have talked with several shooters who believe if they can shoot great groups at 600 yards they are zeroed in perfectly beyond by ballistics calculations. After shooting a target at 3528 yards working up in 300 yd. increments let me assure you that they are not! And then you have to account for windage and half a dozen other things.
The folks at "Gunwerks" used the 7mm Rem Mag for their standard long range caliber and still do because of the superb ballistics coefficients that are available for this caliber. The. 280 Nosler, 7mmSTW and many others were derived by the accuracy of this bullet. Now the new kid is the 6.5mm coming out in every wildcatter's dream for speeding up the ballistics. Sadly the most overlooked caliber is the .308. We should have had bullets in the 230-240gr. weight for comparable long range bullets long ago for comparable performance of the 7mm. Maybe some manufacturing companies will get it done.

Quite frankly the aerodynamic engineers employed by the bullet manufacturing industry are constantly trying to build the best bullet as it gets them a greater share of the market. If you are reload your bullets you are foolish to be glued to a bullet manufacturing company. You owe it to your rifle to get the most accurate loads for the yardage perimeter you want to shoot. Almost all bullets made today are lethal when shot placement is excellent. Most shooters rarely find ranges of over a thousand yards for practicing shooting regularly. I have talked with several shooters who believe if they can shoot great groups at 600 yards they are zeroed in perfectly beyond by ballistics calculations. After shooting a target at 3528 yards working up in 300 yd. increments let me assure you that they are not! And then you have to account for windage and half a dozen other things.
The folks at "Gunwerks" used the 7mm Rem Mag for their standard long range caliber and still do because of the superb ballistics coefficients that are available for this caliber. The. 280 Nosler, 7mmSTW and many others were derived by the accuracy of this bullet. Now the new kid is the 6.5mm coming out in every wildcatter's dream for speeding up the ballistics. Sadly the most overlooked caliber is the .308. We should have had bullets in the 230-240gr. weight for comparable long range bullets long ago for comparable performance of the 7mm. Maybe some manufacturing companies will get it done.

I shoot a 7 rem mag., I love it, and it loves bergers. But I did have one not exit a broadside Whitetail at 25 yds. It was a very sick deer, but it still ran 75 yds with very little blood. My supposition is that a VLD bullet with a partition would be the best of both worlds. Even an Accubond LR with small hollow point like a berger would be closer to what I am talking about. The knock on the ABLR and the Berger is at high velocity in close. The knock on the Partition is the down range effects of the low BC.... A hybrid to me, would be the best of both worlds. I know there are a lot of good options out there. I was thinking of something that would be better than all current options.

I shoot a 7 rem mag., I love it, and it loves bergers. But I did have one not exit a broadside Whitetail at 25 yds. It was a very sick deer, but it still ran 75 yds with very little blood. My supposition is that a VLD bullet with a partition would be the best of both worlds. Even an Accubond LR with small hollow point like a berger would be closer to what I am talking about. The knock on the ABLR and the Berger is at high velocity in close. The knock on the Partition is the down range effects of the low BC.... A hybrid to me, would be the best of both worlds. I know there are a lot of good options out there. I was thinking of something that would be better than all current options.
I would bet the farm that bullet manufacturers have tried variables of what you are wanting without success. This business isn't like it was back in the days of John Nosler and Roy Weatherby turning bullet manufacturing out of their garage shops. It is an extremely scientific engineering business today. Back then they just wanted a faster and stronger bullet to punch through bones of certain species. Today, hunters want bullets to be effective at a myriad of things.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.