The Ultimate Hunting Bullet

TX Badger

I have long been a fan of two bullet types:

1. The Partition/A frame design
2. The VLD/High bc, penetrate 2" and open violently dumping energy design

These are very different models, but to me it has always seemed that the best of both worlds would be a VLD shaped Partition with a thinner jacket that would penetrate 2", open aggressively, but still retain some mass to ensure an exit.

Basically, I think it is time for Nosler to modernize the Partition. Don't blast me tradition NP fans, I would suggest doing this as a 2nd offering, not a replacement. The traditional NP still has it's place for shorter ranges and tougher game.

Thoughts?

I couldnt agree more! A high bc partition type bullet that was accurate at longer ranges would be a winner. Federal is actually making one right now which will be interesting to watch. Its called the TLR. Its not a partition, but a solid copper rear portion with a bonded lead front core. The biggest challenge is accuracy, whenever you add manufacturing steps, and keeping costs at a reasonable rate. This is one reason why monos are catching on with advancements in bc and expansion. The obvious down side is extra length and twist rate needed. Yes, on a high bc partition. There is room for everybody!.

The Fusion probably is good. Go with them
fusion is a "plated" type of bullet, not a jacketed, they are higher BC than partition but not tipped

problem with modifying the partition is manufacturing process-- it would be hard to keep consistency and quality control while putting a tip on them for better BC-- bonded bullets work similar to the partition but not exactly the same-- the new tlr has a solid copper base, but the copper makes it longer (thus requiring a faster twist rate) or they have to keep the weights lighter than like lead core bullets thus slightly reducing the BC--its all a compromise--until they can come up with a good manufacturing technique to keep the QC high, the partitions wont have a high BC or plastic tip

there were some copper/lead bullets that were designed the opposite of the lrx-- with the lead in the back--not sure they are still around
barnes-mrx-150.jpg

then there were the lead in the nose, tungsten flat faced core in the rear bullets-- but tungsten is considered AP
main-qimg-9f7a38cbaa5fe2a962eda0acfa654037.webp

D10665D9-506A-48AE-8668-38BCBBC57B1B.jpeg
DC282F19-CDD1-486E-8B98-2410F93113F3.jpeg

Federal Edge TLR is what you are speaking of. I have some in 7mm 155 Gr that I just shout this morning out of my kids 7mm Sherman MAX. I was using 60 Gr of RL17 to do a seating depth test. They seem to like being close to the rifling but I will have to test that out more. .010" off the rifling produced a .299" 3 shot group at 100 yards. I will have to test this again with more rounds to see if it holds up.

My son will be testing these out in a cow elk at the end of November so I will have a report to update on bullet performance.

I think the Partition basically does what you ask for. The bullet is designed to expand and shed the front core back to the partition, and the rear section continues to penetrate and hold together. Unless you are looking for a better BC from Nosler Partitions, they are available in the Spitzer profile.

Last edited:
Notes on the Federal Edge TLR:

Just from observing, they are not very precise on where they cut the one band in the bullet. If you zoom into the loaded rounds in the picture above, all the rounds are loaded within .001" Tolerance of COAL. For every three rounds the COAL gets shorter as the bullets are seated deeper into the case but if you look at the band, it is not seated at the same distance as others of the same COAL. Don't know if it will make a difference at distance but I will try to find out.

Also for this rifle, they don't seem to like being jumped very far. The load that I started with at .010" off the rifling shot .299" three shot group. As I got further from the rifling, it was just so so groups.

Im also thinking that this coating that they put on the bullet will also help prevent the bullet from welding to the case over time if you load them and leave them.

I think the Partition basically does what you ask for. The bullet is designed to expand and shed the front core back to the partition, and the rear section continues to penetrate and hold together.

Apologies, critical mistake on my part. I should have titled the thread "Ultimate Long Range Hunting Bullet".

My qualifications would be:
-Opens easily at low and high velocity without blowing up on the surface.
-Transfers most of it's energy into the animal
-Still provides an exit
-Has a top level BC/Keep as much lead as possible in an improved form factor

Basically, put a partiion across the back 1/3 of a Berger Vld or conversely, give a NP a Berger nose section and more aggressive boat tail. This may be pipe dream stuff. I know the process in making these bullets is complicated.

Apologies, critical mistake on my part. I should have titled the thread "Ultimate Long Range Hunting Bullet".

My qualifications would be:
-Opens easily at low and high velocity without blowing up on the surface.
-Transfers most of it's energy into the animal
-Still provides an exit
-Has a top level BC/Keep as much lead as possible in an improved form factor

Basically, put a partiion across the back 1/3 of a Berger Vld or conversely, give a NP a Berger nose section and more aggressive boat tail. This may be pipe dream stuff. I know the process in making these bullets is complicated.
you probably haven't shot enough, but has the nickel plated coating caused any issues with fouling or cleaning of the barrel? I know ni cases can be harder on reloading dies than brass cases are.

was wondering about cleaning, as most cleaners are aimed towards carbon or copper, not nickel--you'd probably have to shoot a ton of them to see if it affects barrel ware, I'm more concerned with Ni fouling and cleaning

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.