The Ultimate Light Weight Sheep Hunting Rifle - What Is It?

Slopeshunter,

I have a very good friend that hunts with a rifles inc. lightweight strata chambered in a 300 weatherby. Bare rifle weighs about 5#. We mounted a 2.5-10 zeiss on the rifle. My friend is a big zeiss fan. that was the lightest zeiss that we could find at the time with reasonable magnification. The only word of caution for this rig is the strength of the stock. The area of the pistol grip seems to be a weak spot. Normal hunting okay, but we have broken one. There was a freak accident with a fourwheeler and a kolpin gun boot. Just my 2 cents.

What about the 280 Ackley Imp. on a Titanium action 22" sts. tube 3 grove 1:9 twist with a 3-9 or 2.5-10 Zeiss shooting 150- 168 grn bullets ? McMillan stock or comparable in quality and fit .
Should be more than enough for 500 plus yards shooting.

gun)

Last edited:
canderson, is that the one with the texture grip stuff on the cheekpiece? I had to cover mine with duct tape unless I wanted to go for the rug burn look.:D

If you ever have the chance ask Lex about building a Strata in 7mm RUM. I doubt he'll do it (again) but it will be good for a laugh though.:D

Check out Greg Duley's article on here about Wapiti hunting in NZ. He is using a round he calls the 7mm Fatso. Basically a 338 lapua necked down to 7 mm and shortened to WSM length. He is getting the same ballisitcs as a 7 STW.
All up his rifle weighs sub 8 lbs. He is using a 700 ti action, 26 in lilja No4 fluted, mcMillan hunters edge stock, and Leupold Mk 4 scope. Light weight and will reach well past 500yds.

Stu.

No particular argument from me but the fella that began this thread was asking for the ultimate lightweight sheep hunting rifle. He isn't going to get there by mounting a 2 lb scope on it. I pack around a 27 ounce tactical scope on my sheep hunting rifle, but I certainly wouldn't if I was limiting my shots inside of 5-600 yds. I've never found my 2.5-8 power Leupold scopes lacking out to those yardages.

On the matter of toughness, I've knocked my 35 mm tubed tactical scope with tactical rings and scope rail off zero when I've tumbled on a mountain side. There isn't any scope that's mountain proof.

Anyhow, if the member places light weight at the top of his priorities, he'll have to go without the NF and similar tactical scopes.

My comments were not directed to the original post. Rather another post.

I agree with WHEN the top priority is light weight an NF is not the best option. It still doesnt make an NF on a "sheep" rig a joke. Just MHO. It is also my opinion, so take this with a grain of salt, that the best overall sheep rifles are not the lightest rifles. That is why I have not offered my ideas of the perfect sheep rifle in this particular thread despite being a very avid sheep nut.

It is also my opinion, so take this with a grain of salt, that the best overall sheep rifles are not the lightest rifles. That is why I have not offered my ideas of the perfect sheep rifle in this particular thread despite being a very avid sheep nut.

I have to agree. I have handled sub 7 lb rifles, and find them very difficult to keep balanced, near impossible to shoot offhand, and tricky to get steady over a pack. While I can't argue an ultralight rifle is a dream to carry in the high peaks, making a precise shot with one is an entirely different matter, and that's what ulitimately counts. My ultimate sheep rifle is my M700 280 Rem weighing 7.5 lbs all loaded and slinged; the fit and balance are absolutely perfect and it has performed par excellence on my two bighorns. I would not have wanted anything lighter when I took this joker at 512 yards from a cramped and awkward prone position shooting steeply uphill.

P8270107-1.jpg

I have to agree. I have handled sub 7 lb rifles, and find them very difficult to keep balanced, near impossible to shoot offhand, and tricky to get steady over a pack. While I can't argue an ultralight rifle is a dream to carry in the high peaks, making a precise shot with one is an entirely different matter, and that's what ulitimately counts. My ultimate sheep rifle is my M700 280 Rem weighing 7.5 lbs all loaded and slinged; the fit and balance are absolutely perfect and it has performed par excellence on my two bighorns. I would not have wanted anything lighter when I took this joker at 512 yards from a cramped and awkward prone position shooting steeply uphill.

Very well put. Also very nice ram!

I was in an awkward position last year taking a shot on my 07 ram where the heavier rifle definatly help me succed. Espescially the barrel in particular. The postion I was in would have had the rifle all over the place. As it was my crosshairs were circling all around the vitals. Even though it was a moderate shot (360 yards) it was still very difficult and would have been much harder will a less stable rifle.

Probably the biggest reason I prefer heavier barrels on a sheep rifle is (at least where I hunt) the temprature can be very cold. This lends itself to the dreaded cold bore shot. Not that heavy barrels arent affected, they are typically less affected. Sheep often offer follow up shots in case the cold bore shot causes a miss, but sometimes you dont get a second chance. For me, I want ALL the odds in MY favor. I want to know when I pull that trigger whether it be a 300 yard shot or an 800 yard shot that my bullet WILL find its mark. Heavy rifles ave afforded me the confidence that I have. I KNOW when I pull the trigger that I will be faces with 10-20 hours of pain and torture packing the animal out! Yes I hunt sheep with 12-13# rifles (I took one with a 16# rifle, OUCH!) and I know this isnt traditional, but it does work and that is why I do and will continue to sheep hunt with a 12-13# rig. A lighter rifle I just typically cant seem to get the same results.

This was the awkward position. I had no rear stock support and had to just let the rifle "float" and trust the stability of the heavy barrel. Granted this rifle was quite a bit over kill in the weight department, it got the job done.

10161DSCN1386.JPG

The result

10161DSCN1390.JPG

Last edited:
No way I'm packing around a 13# rifle sheep hunting. We all have our preferences. I start to resist when the completely outfitted rifle exceeds 9.5-10 lbs. But your outfit is obviously getting the job done for you. Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. It look's like you even had the fringe benefit of some good weather on that hunt.

No way I'm packing around a 13# rifle sheep hunting. We all have our preferences. I start to resist when the completely outfitted rifle exceeds 9.5-10 lbs. But your outfit is obviously getting the job done for you. Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. It look's like you even had the fringe benefit of some good weather on that hunt.

Good weather! Yeah. That was my 07 ram. Ram #5 of 6 and the weather was scorching! Opening day bright and blue near 80 degrees! That is rare for sure. The next day's pack out wasnt any better. Me and my buddy were praying for a rain burst! Grueling to say the least. The whole story can be read (pics too) can be found @:

- Dall Sheep Hunt - 2007

This year I wasnt so lucky. I still got a ram (my 1st double broomer) but the weather was bad all season.

Sorry for the hijack!

Last edited:
I was out both opening week and the beginning of September in 2007. Blue bird weather both trips, so I know what you mean. Got a mediocre ram the 2nd trip out.

Winchester m70 SS featherweight
270 octagon pac-nor barrel @21"
wildcat stock painted by RMR
lapped Talley rings
burris 3-9x40w. ranging reticle
blackhawk cheek rest
nosler bass, barnes 130gr ttsx, 58gr RL19 @just under 3100 fps
IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1813.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

before repainting

IMG_1464.jpg

rifle built by Ralf Martini, stock bedded & painted by Rocky Mountain Rifles

I used this rifle as my backup gun while guiding in the Yukon, my clients used to take 6 sheep through the years when their guns crapped out. I won it a the BC wild sheep convention in '99 and restocked it the moment it got home with a wildcat comp. stock, and put the featherweight stock in the safe(it was too pretty to get used)
I finally got arround to repainting it a couple months ago and am really happy with how it turned out.

last week I was out patroling a cattle pasture and caught this dog @325yds

IMG_1769.jpg

I'm kinda like a Lightweight gun junkie. They turn my crank

This is the rifle I built for hunting in the mountains but I have taken moose with it too.

Titanium action full benchrest accurizing, match recoil lug
280 AI
23.125" Lothar walther 1100 contour barrel
Tubbs titanium firing pin and match spring
Talley one piece lightweight rings/bases
Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 ultralite LR reticle
Bansner sheep hunter stock.
Pachmayer decelerator pad
BDL bottom metal
3lb trigger

Weights 6lbs 3 ounces with scope as seen in this picture.
I have others but this is my favorite.
Shoots 140 TSX into little groups

IMG_0717.jpg

Here are the specs of my soon to be sheep gun- Already have the action but waiting on the barrel and stock;

• Stiller Predator Left hand repeater - It will be a 7mmWSM
  • PTG Aluminum bottom
  • Wyatt box
  • Jewell HVR @ 2 lbs
  • Pac Nor ultralight contour barrel (probably finished @24")
  • McMillan Hunters Edge stock
  • Talley lightweights
  • Probably going with a 4.5x14x40mm VXIII with an elevation turret. Only a couple more ounces than a 2.5x8x36. The turret and 14x will be nice if a longer poke happens.
I will either shoot the 140 Berger or the 140TTSX, whichever I get to shoot better. Not sure how much it will weigh, but should be sub 6.5ish pounds with the scope.

Here it is as described above;

IMG_1677.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.