The Ultimate Hunting Bullet

Under 1" at 300yds with the edge TLR

IMG_0710.jpg

Federal is great ammo and I doubt you could go wrong with any .243 ammo they said works on deer and hogs. I've tried lots of high dollar Federal and Remington ammo in my 7mm-08 and 30-06 in the last 30+ years. Thinking about all the deer I've killed, I realized the old standby Remington core-lokt did as well or better then any of them on deer in brush and open fields out to 200 yards. So, I just buy these when they're on sale. However, lately I've been disappointed in the Remington's. They shoot fine but the "fit and finish" seems to be slipping. I think I'll try some Federal Fusions this year and see if my rifles like them.

308stillbrass: My Winchester Model 70 Feather in .270 WSM shoots the 150 grain Fusions into repeatable 3-shot groups of 0.72" at 200 Yards. I have been getting those less than 3/4" groups at 200 yards for quite a few years now with no shift in POI. Of course I did quite a bit of work on the rifle to get it to shoot like that. Acraglass bedded and ground down to the harmonic sweet spot and a recessed target crown.

Federal is great ammo and I doubt you could go wrong with any .243 ammo they said works on deer and hogs. ... I think I'll try some Federal Fusions this year and see if my rifles like them.

they didnt as far as I know. until now
I bought Sierra 7mm x 165 gr. BT back in '92 from Sierra that were standard fare in Federal 7mm Mag. but they were special order over the common 160 gr. I didn't know Federal was making their own bullets now. It is easy to lose track of Loaded Ammo nowadays with the multitude of offerings.

Edd, The Acraglass bedding was almost full length of the stock. My gunsmith advised this procedure: Shoot and grind some of the Acraglass off until you get the groups you want, then stop grinding. I stopped removing the Acraglass when I got 0.72" group at 200 yards. And I've been getting them ever since then. Farthest deer I've killed with it was 334 yards. Not really long range at all, but about as far as you ever get to see a deer in South Arkansas where I hunt. The 70 Featherweight is a relatively light sporter and not a long range rig at all, so I am getting all I can out of this rifle.

Now I haven't been able to duplicate this success with any other light sporter weight rifle, so I think you have to start out with a good shooter to begin with. It is just trial and error and sometimes you get lucky. For a real long range rifle, you need to start with a bit heavier barrel I think.

I don't know what this means, can you explain it.

Another vote for the Edge TLR. I bought a box to tinker and haven't spent much time with them, but they seem like they want to play out of a stock bbld action 700 SPS 270 Win bedded in a Manners EH6:

They will perform same as TBT same design lead up front solid shank copper , the difference in the tip is the TLR is suppose to not change , melt , in long flight and maintain better LR BC. Shot an Elk with the 30/06 175 gr Edge TLR 175 and weighed over 145I think at recovery. Nice bullet. Shot was only around 245 as I recall , critter collapsed , was dead before he hit the ground. Have not shot it at 3000 + FPS yet , working on a load for my 30 cal Patriot now , will probably run it around 3100 at muzzle to preserve new barrel
U6Nqdjl.jpg

kzihEsO.jpg

If they perform close to the TBT on game it will be a win-win and IMO about perfect for a hunting bullet.

loder

I think they stopped making this bullet a few years back , it was a great bullet .
Yes they did. Now you have the TTSX and LRX. The LRX opens at a lower velocity and has a higher BC. Still supposed to retain 95+% of original weight and double diameter expansion. I love Barnes bullets. You can process to the bullet hole without the worry of lead poisoning.

Yes , I have been using their products for 30+ years , The 168TTSX and the 175 LRX both open around 1500FPS , I have a chart I made by calling Barnes about bottom speeds for most all their 30 cal Bullets , I love them , the 130 is my normal go to for anything below Elk . I think I own all the remaining ( 500+) 130xbt nickle plated Lazerheads in existance which my old barrel Patriot and old barrel Warbird loved , bug hole loads .

Yes , I have been using their products for 30+ years , The 168TTSX and the 175 LRX both open around 1500FPS , I have a chart I made by calling Barnes about bottom speeds for most all their 30 cal Bullets , I love them , the 130 is my normal go to for anything below Elk . I think I own all the remaining ( 500+) 130xbt nickel plated Lazerheads in existence which my old barrel Patriot and old barrel Warbird loved , bug hole loads .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.