The Time I was Gonna Kill a Deer with a Knife!

My first javelina shot with a bow the arrow went in front right and came out rear left. It turned around and bit off the aluminum arrow. The other pigs gathered around snapping at the enemy they couldn't see. My arrow rest broke on that first shot. I foolishly only carried 4 arrows. They all missed, even from very close range because of the broken rest, which I did not notice in the excitement. I didn't want the pig to suffer, so I took a lesson from reading about how special forces kill quickly and grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and put the knife in behind his ear. I've heard that badgers can turn around inside their skin and still bite you. But this javelina didn't. I replaced the arrow rest and started carrying more arrows. By the way, javelina don't really have tusks. They have teeth. Really long sharp teeth that scissor against each other. See the picture of a javelina compared to a bear. The bear is on the right.

I've stepped on a wounded deer's rack and grabbed the other side and put the knife in behind the ear more than once. I hate to waste meat, and I don't like the animal to suffer. In a perfect world, every animal would drop dead in their tracks on the first shot. I spend a lot of time shooting, and developing loads so that happens more often.

Attachments

• IMG_2169.JPG
    IMG_2169.JPG
    875.5 KB · Views: 68
I was coming off mountain in my Jeep I see think a rabbit hop off road I stop and this lynx with a limp comes out and walks by I have big heavy game bag I think about trying to sack it Following it down road It looking at me out corner it eye zi chicken out Pic off my vid

Attachments

• 106354C8-E513-41DF-961C-AD829D8E0DC8.jpeg
    106354C8-E513-41DF-961C-AD829D8E0DC8.jpeg
    315.4 KB · Views: 85
Yep, the hounds are far to valuable to risk guys shooting pistols into a frenzy of hog and hound. So "stickin em" as they call it, is the preferred method of take.

Several of my friends and I would meet up at a friend's garage after bow hunting to drink and hang out. My one buddy leaves to go home. He leaves and calls a few minutes later and says he hit a deer with his truck and he`s coming back with the deer ( we butcher all are deer at this garage). So, what he does not realize when he threw the buck into the back of his truck is that the deer is only wounded and unconscious at the time. As he gets out of the truck, back at the garage, this thing wakes up, and is super ****ed off that it is stuck in the bed of his pick-up with a cap on it. It`s beating the he'll out of the back of his truck. Broke two of the windows out and trying to ram its way through that truck. Mean while, 10 of us probably are just standing there in awe of the situation all thinking **** now what. Well it ends up getting its rack stuck in one of the sliding side windows of the cap. We open the tail gate and it's stuck and kicking like a bastard. My buddy hops in his truck in panic puts it in reverse slams on the brakes and it doesn't come out. Now after a few attempts, he has to be going about as fast as you can in reverse, the engine was screaming he locks up the brakes truck gets loose hits a mail box and ends up in the ditch! We run over and the deer is still stuck but hurt bad this time from the wreck. One of the guys puts it out of its misery with his knife.
Lessons learned: well probably many but I am still shaking my head years later thinking *** just happened.

Several of my friends and I would meet up at a friend's garage after bow hunting to drink and hang out. My one buddy leaves to go home. He leaves and calls a few minutes later and says he hit a deer with his truck and he`s coming back with the deer ( we butcher all are deer at this garage). So, what he does not realize when he threw the buck into the back of his truck is that the deer is only wounded and unconscious at the time. As he gets out of the truck, back at the garage, this thing wakes up, and is super ****ed off that it is stuck in the bed of his pick-up with a cap on it. It`s beating the he'll out of the back of his truck. Broke two of the windows out and trying to ram its way through that truck. Mean while, 10 of us probably are just standing there in awe of the situation all thinking **** now what. Well it ends up getting its rack stuck in one of the sliding side windows of the cap. We open the tail gate and it's stuck and kicking like a bastard. My buddy hops in his truck in panic puts it in reverse slams on the brakes and it doesn't come out. Now after a few attempts, he has to be going about as fast as you can in reverse, the engine was screaming he locks up the brakes truck gets loose hits a mail box and ends up in the ditch! We run over and the deer is still stuck but hurt bad this time from the wreck. One of the guys puts it out of its misery with his knife.
Lessons learned: well probably many but I am still shaking my head years later thinking *** just happened.
I needed that laugh to start my day! Man, that is a funny story!

OK I was going to keep quiet on this one, but after 408W told his story, mine is tame. I was on my way home from work when four deer crossed the road on front of my truck. I was thinking how close that was to hitting one when a small button spike runs in front of the truck and gets his back legs broken. He is dragging himself away, so I grabbed the knife out of the door panel, ran him down (not a difficult feat since my legs were not broken). Grabbed him by the neck and slit his throat. I was slaughtering a lot livestock back then so it was mostly instinct. I only got beat up a little with his front feet. Carhart coats are tough. As I looked back toward the road I see a car stopped and two little kids with their faces pressed against the window. I think one was crying. I had a very long beard and long hair back then, and could just imagine what those poor kids thought. As they sped off, I put the deer in the truck left pretty quick myself. My wife still tells people about that, though I wish she wouldn't.

OK I was going to keep quiet on this one, but after 408W told his story, mine is tame. I was on my way home from work when four deer crossed the road on front of my truck. I was thinking how close that was to hitting one when a small button spike runs in front of the truck and gets his back legs broken. He is dragging himself away, so I grabbed the knife out of the door panel, ran him down (not a difficult feat since my legs were not broken). Grabbed him by the neck and slit his throat. I was slaughtering a lot livestock back then so it was mostly instinct. I only got beat up a little with his front feet. Carhart coats are tough. As I looked back toward the road I see a car stopped and two little kids with their faces pressed against the window. I think one was crying. I had a very long beard and long hair back then, and could just imagine what those poor kids thought. As they sped off, I put the deer in the truck left pretty quick myself. My wife still tells people about that, though I wish she wouldn't.
You the Santa who killed bambi

Last edited:
I was on a doe reduction state park sponsored hunt. $5 a doe. Kill as many as you could. We certainly did. Like 3-4 a day for a few days. I donated a lot to the food pantries. I just love shooting critters, so sue me. Anyway, this was all spot & stalk hunting. So, I was stalking one day and came across a sleeping doe. I froze from 5-7yds out. I was thinking, what? So, my eclectic mind starts thinking. Man, wouldn't that be a story to tell for the rest of my life if I killed a deer with a knife. (Still kinda wished I'd tried) So, I was running scenarios. Looking at those hooves, and imagining what it would do when I spider monkeyed on top of it. Here are the scenarios I imagined:

I jump on the deer and go to drive the killing stab and it squirrels around and I stab myself in the leg/femoral artery and die.
I jump on the deer and before I can deliver the knife stab, it rolls out and kicks me in the face with those hooves.
I jump on the deer, it takes me for a ride through the woods and I just have that story.

Well, I just couldn't take that risk and I blasted it dead with my Ithaca deer slayer.

That is all, carry on.
And what's your favorite gun powder to snort ??? Lol
Anyway I got a good laugh out of it ! Lol

Rum Man

Being the slow learner that I is it took two.
The first my first successful deer hunt, spined one and hit the other in the jugular. Emptied the gun onem but only hittem with the first two shots? When I went to cut the spined ones throat her front foot dang near took my ear off...... Being a hot headed kid the shotgun was reloaded and her head about blown off with a little loud cussin goin on looked around afterwards to see more than a dozen other hunters watching, the three that saw the whole thing take place still laugh and bring it up as often as possible. This friend's is why this old fart has never tryed to cut a critters thoat again, a shot to the lungs bleeds them out if required and safer!
old toy pics 063-1.jpg

BUT remember I'm a slow learner!
A friend had a game farm and a buck that had been bottle feed, very tame and gentle....usualy
This one fine late fall day my buddy dares me to go in the pen and grab this little 6 point by the horns. Well I've got a few lbs on this buck and am a bad *** biker not to mention this guy is gentle? Well I go in the pen and he walks right up to me with his head down so without a second thought that the rut is on I grab his horns with the intention of bulldogging him to the ground.
Next thing I know he bulldoged ME to the ground and is proceeding not to be gentle!! Wow is a 175 deer strong, fast and my buddy is laughing too hard to be of any help at all. I manage somehow to get away from him and back out of the pen still alive but much wiser........ Lesson learned for good, have never contemplated messing with big wild critters since!

I was a teenager when a good friend 14 years older started me deer hunting I followed him around the woods several years and he killed many deer while I hardly ever saw one
This morning hunt he put me on a stand and said stay here until I come back for you
Sure enough shortly after sunrise I
heard him shoot
He returned later to me and said he shot a 10 pt but was having trouble finding it We returned to his stand and started searching
After a while we saw the 10pt bedded with his head up He handed me his rifle and said he was going to cut his throat. He slowly walked up behind and jumped on this bucks back with a knife in one hand and all **** broke loose as the buck exploded to life. My friend was ruffled but made the throat cut
The 10 pt ran about 60 yards and went down.
We were dragging it out through the woods and came upon another 10pt down from his rifle shot.
He still tells the story of 2 10pts One by rifle and the other by knife wrestling a bedded buck.
Only in South Ga!

Ok story time. I'm Law enforcement in a liberal state. My patrol district was a small town that has a large mule deer population living inside the city limits. A doe gets hit by a car and drags itself in-between two houses that are 5' apart. Normally we would just shoot the deer but due to its location between the houses it's a no shoot. When I get there the city guy that picks up the deer is on scene along with one of the homeowners. I told them they might not want to watch but both insisted on staying. I sneak up on the doe and can see she is mortally wounded and needs put down. I pull out a 6" double edged knife and the fight is on. I got the does chest and head pinned down with my foot on one ear. I use one quick poke to the neck and cut both arteries. It's winter and snow is on the ground so the blood is spraying and highly visible. I wipe my knife off on her hide as she passes and put it back in the we sheath around my neck. I turn around and the two grown men that insisted on watching are standing there with their mouths open and the property owner guy is sobbing and said " I thought you were gonna shoot it". I got a complaint from that guy tho I'm not sure what the violation was. So I have been banned from stabbing any deer in that city......

I hope that these 2 photos can be enlarged enough that you can see just how little contact that a .270 Winchester 130gr Partition at 15 yards , needs to knock a 225# Mule Deer completely unconscious for a period of almost 10 minutes .
If you can enlarge photos , look very closely at the base of the deer's right antler ( left side of photos ), and just above antler base/skull pedicle on the inner side of the antler , you can see where the bullet knicked the antler , cutting a 1/2 arc of the bullet's diameter .

And as Paul Harvey used to say "And NOW , for the rest of the STORY"

In 2011 , my friend and I were hunting in Colorado , and left camp a bit late , just as the sun was rising .
Mark pulled away from our tent on his ATV , as I finished tying the tent opening flaps to a closed position .
Our tent was about 200 yards away from a county road that we traversed to reach our preferred hunting area , and as I pulled out onto the gravel road , I saw Mark's ATV sitting at the side of the road with the motor still running , so I stopped my ATV and began looking for my buddy .
I saw him crouching , and moving very slowly , rifle ready , about 100 yards away from the road , in the BLM land , so I knew that he was moving toward deer . He dropped out of sight , and then I heard him shoot , and heard the bullet strike , and then Mark shouted "I got him" !!
I moved our 2 ATVs back onto the trail toward camp , turned them off , removed the keys , grabbed my camera and rifle , and made my way over to Mark and his Deer .
When I got there , Mark was standing there admiring the deer which was laying flat on it's left side , head to right and butt to the left , all 4 legs extended straight away from it's body . I congratulated Mark and said that I wanted to take photos of the Deer and him .
Mark was busy positioning his rifle and pack behind the deer , so I volunteered to move the deer to the best position for a photograph .
I reached down , grabbed the antlers to position the head for the best photo , and then "All H__L broke loose" .
That deer came back to life !!!
Luckily , I was wearing heavy leather gloves and bulky , insulated garments , and still holding both antlers , I threw my full body weight of 185# down onto that Deer's head and antlers , and Thank GOD that the deer could not get his feet back under him , or it would have been rodeo time .
Mark is shouting O.M.G. what can I do ?
I said "Shoot the S.O.B."
Mark is saying "It's too dangerous , you are in the way". He was standing close enough that I grabbed his rifle barrel with my left hand , stuck the muzzle into the right side of the deer , where the heart should be and told him "SHOOT !!!!"
Mark shot , and I stayed on top of the Deer's antlers and head until it died .

After the Deer had died , I asked Mark where he had hit the Deer with his 1st shot and he replied "Just behind the right shoulder . So , during our field-dressing of his deer , I could not find any evidence of the deer having been shot , other than the kill shot when I held the barrel against the animal , complete with powder burns .
After a complete examination of the deer , I found the groove at the base of the right antler and we determined that the bullet had only knocked the Deer unconscious .

I had always considered myself a good shot , but there is no way that I am able to approach the level of Marksmanship necessary to participate in "Catch and Release" Deer hunting .

DMP25-06

Attachments

• IMG_1443.jpg
    IMG_1443.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1444.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 67
Hahaha…can't pretend that's not how the mind works at times. At least you were close to the deer when you shot it. A while back I had a conversation with a guy I know…couldn't help but make a bit of fun. He shot a sleeping deer from 400 yards away or so (initially the talk was about how if the animal isn't on edge to begin with they're way more likely to just go down when shot - his bedded down buck never even tried to get up and it wasn't a CNS hit). But I did ask about the distance…not in a judgy way obviously or I'd be on the wrong forum…he looked at me dead serious and said "well yeah the way things were I just couldn't get any closer." Immediately his eyes got that "oh crap" look knowing I wasn't going to let that go without poking some good natured fun at him.

"Really? You couldn't get closer than 400 yards? To a SLEEPING DEER?!?!?"🤣