The Time I was Gonna Kill a Deer with a Knife!

DoneNOut

I was on a doe reduction state park sponsored hunt. $5 a doe. Kill as many as you could. We certainly did. Like 3-4 a day for a few days. I donated a lot to the food pantries. I just love shooting critters, so sue me. Anyway, this was all spot & stalk hunting. So, I was stalking one day and came across a sleeping doe. I froze from 5-7yds out. I was thinking, what? So, my eclectic mind starts thinking. Man, wouldn't that be a story to tell for the rest of my life if I killed a deer with a knife. (Still kinda wished I'd tried) So, I was running scenarios. Looking at those hooves, and imagining what it would do when I spider monkeyed on top of it. Here are the scenarios I imagined:

I jump on the deer and go to drive the killing stab and it squirrels around and I stab myself in the leg/femoral artery and die.
I jump on the deer and before I can deliver the knife stab, it rolls out and kicks me in the face with those hooves.
I jump on the deer, it takes me for a ride through the woods and I just have that story.

Well, I just couldn't take that risk and I blasted it dead with my Ithaca deer slayer.

That is all, carry on.

I was on a doe reduction state park sponsored hunt. $5 a doe. Kill as many as you could. We certainly did. Like 3-4 a day for a few days. I donated a lot to the food pantries. I just love shooting critters, so sue me. Anyway, this was all spot & stalk hunting. So, I was stalking one day and came across a sleeping doe. I froze from 5-7yds out. I was thinking, what? So, my eclectic mind starts thinking. Man, wouldn't that be a story to tell for the rest of my life if I killed a deer with a knife. (Still kinda wished I'd tried) So, I was running scenarios. Looking at those hooves, and imagining what it would do when I spider monkeyed on top of it. Here are the scenarios I imagined:

I jump on the deer and go to drive the killing stab and it squirrels around and I stab myself in the leg/femoral artery and die.
I jump on the deer and before I can deliver the knife stab, it rolls out and kicks me in the face with those hooves.
I jump on the deer, it takes me for a ride through the woods and I just have that story.

Well, I just couldn't take that risk and I blasted it dead with my Ithaca deer slayer.

That is all, carry on.
Years ago my neighbors wanted to try to hunt deer with "Spears" they idea was sound, but their engineering was not. They tried to use 6" lengths of Re-bar with sharpened points. They tried to stay in tree stands and chuck the "Spears" at deer when they walked past. Needleless to say it didn't work.
Brad good for you that you didn't try to be a cave man. You would have probably ended up in scenario 1 or 2.

Years ago my neighbors wanted to try to hunt deer with "Spears" they idea was sound, but their engineering was not. They tried to use 6" lengths of Re-bar with sharpened points. They tried to stay in tree stands and chuck the "Spears" at deer when they walked past. Needleless to say it didn't work.
Brad good for you that you didn't try to be a cave man. You would have probably ended up in scenario 1 or 2.
Thanks Len! From one fellow weirdo devil dog to the next! LOL

Hahaha....never seen any injuries just a few guys get knocked down when their legs get kicked out from under them. I've cut a few throats, and only after they are head down and I can put a foot on their head first. Worst I ever got scared was a spike elk, and he haired up and barked at me when I put my foot on his neck. I ran like a little baby away and shot that sucker again. Never tried it again with an elk.

Ever see the video of the guy that put "Buck Lure Doe Scent" on himself? This couple had a really nice buck that was almost tame on their property. The guy walked over to the buck. BUCK ATTACKED him and the wife kept video recording. The buck beat the hell out of him with his hooves and tried to mount him. All this while the wife just kept recording while her husband was screaming blood murder with this 200 LB Buck in RUT beating the hell out of him. After the buck stopped the man was taken to the hospital in critical condition. Almost died and ended up disfigured.