The Plan To Kill CA's Catalina Islands 2,000 Mule Deer

Just think...after all the non-native animals are removed, the only non-native species are humans. Will they use helicopters to remove that species?
Bored Cabin Fever GIF

But they are going to leave the non native buffalo on the island.... because it brings in tourist money. So you can see how the selective management works according to the cash register as usual.
Hunting packages start at just $3,600 !!

From the city's perspective, climate change brought drought to the island, forcing deer to wander into Avalon in search of water," she said. "The heartbreak is that they are not always successful and their survival rate is poor."
Has anyone noticed that everything bad nowadays is caused by "climate change"
Non native mule deer = bad
Non native bison = ok
I thought my state was bad but luckily we're way better than California (so far)

They need to do the same thing with feral horses in AZ - out of control.
Yeah. I get that it might be unpopular but non-native is non-native, in that case removal isn't unreasonable to me. It's not like Catalina is the size of Texas and can handle Audad and Axis and a few other not totally destructive invasive species without seeing an impact. It's an island, so sounds like they should get rid of the deer AND the bison.

But then again, I also think I should be allowed to hunt trash pandas and pigeons in the urban canyons, and that the state should issue archery permits for whitetail inside certain city limits, similar to what Arkansas does. I'm tired of my truck being allowed an unlimited annual kill count yet I still only get 5 tags on my license every year 🤣 Those **** deer stand behind the gas station taunting me the whole season....

I've read stories like this many times, and it always makes me mad how small towns will pay a contractor to wipe out all the animals when residents would gladly hunt them, and who gives the California wildlife people the information that the best solution is zero deer?everything must be managed, but I don't think zero is the proper number.
At least salvage the backstraps and tenderloins right!?!?!

I've read stories like this many times, and it always makes me mad how small towns will pay a contractor to wipe out all the animals when residents would gladly hunt them, and who gives the California wildlife people the information that the best solution is zero deer?everything must be managed, but I don't think zero is the proper number.
It's easy to get a tag, but the conservancy that controls most of the land on the island makes it a pain to hunt there. You need to join their organization for $65/year. If you don't live on the island you have to pay them $200 for a PLM tag, $100 of which you can get back after a successful harvest. You can't have archery equipment or firearms in the campsites and dispersed camping isn't allowed. You have to share your itinerary with the conservancy. You have to carry $500,000 in firearms liability insurance. It's just not worth it to most people.

There's also some logistical challenges with hunting on an island, but as long as you know Catalina Express's rules and plan around them it shouldn't be too bad.

The conservancy is the one that wants them gone. From what I understand the state hasn't approved their plan yet.

Last edited:

Recent Posts