The Time I was Gonna Kill a Deer with a Knife!

2013-01-26_18-16-18_576.jpg
2013-01-26_18-19-52_795.jpg
2013-01-26_18-21-14_894.jpg
2013-01-26_18-21-23_671.jpg
2013-01-26_18-17-45_692.jpg
2013-01-26_18-19-04_325.jpg
2013-01-26_18-17-54_635.jpg
2013-01-26_18-19-38_93.jpg

Ok, well they are all out of order, but you can see what happened. This was a handful of years ago, and I never was able to verify when stick season ended in my state, so.....

All I can tell you is that it wasn't planned, and I kept taking pics as I got closer, thinking that they would run away any second. I was just trying to see how close I could get. I picked the club up off of the ground when she was sniffing my boot. One whack and it was instant death. I probably would have been a decent Neanderthal. This story is more entertaining when everyone is drunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did kill a deer with a knife. I was doing search and rescue during a lengthy storm season in the north Pacific. We had a couple rescued boat crews on board and ran out of food and ammo. Kinda long story but I did end up grabbing a good size buck around the neck with one arm, knife in the other hand. Let me tell you, stabbing just makes a deer more angry. It took over half an hour to get into position to cut the neck.
I got dragged, kicked, bit, and worst of all, hammered on the head by antlers.
Besides putting meat on the table it gives me something good to say when my bow hunting buddies go off on an anti-gun rant. Do you really want to go to "primitive" weapons?

This is a very timely thread. In the late eighties, my brother and I were at my parents house for Christmas. We were outside after dark and heard a car horn and a very distinctive crunch. We jumped in the truck and drove to the highway and found a middle-aged gentleman standing over a nice 8-point that was wounded but not dead. The deer got up and attempted to get away but got caught in a fence along the highway. I volunteered my Buck knife to him to cut the neck of a deer. He went over, grab him by the horns, and thrusted it in his throat. The deer didn't take too kindly to that and whipped around causing the guy to slice his hand pretty badly. The deer struggled a d got out of the fence and ran out into the middle of a field and laid down. The gentleman went to the hospital, and my brother and I went to get a rifle to finish off the deer. A couple of hours later the man came by the house, we went and helped him load up the deer, and he went home. I remember it being Christmas night because this guy had been at the nursing home to see his mom and was on a 2-hour drive back to his house.

In a galaxy long ago, a friend shot a decent 10, trailed it to where it was laying. Head weaving and wobbling all over. Decided to cut throat. Jumped on bucks back, reached under neck to plunge knife. So understand he is 5'6" maybe, 140 with extra slugs in pocket. Buck jumps up and yes he stayed on the full 8 seconds. Unfortunately it was at full throttle going through a white pine stand for about 100 yds. Hanging onto antlers for dear life through entire ride. Buck collapsed, gurgled, bellowed and died. He got up and looked like he went through barb wire fence maybe 10 times! Profound statement :don't think I'll try that again.!" I only wished I was there to see it but 2 other buds were and holy cow does this come up every beer session!😂 He said "I am going to die you dumas!"

When I was 16 I was hunting somewhere that I wasn't supposed to be.... hey, I was 16, and it wasn't as big a deal then as it is now.

Anyways, just before dark I shoot a basket rack 6 pt, probably a good year old deer that would have been a giant someday, but I was 16, and nobody thought like that back then.

Hit him in the spine in the middle of his body and paralyzed his back legs. I was worried that shooting again would allow people to triangulate my position, and I couldn't have that. I reached into my pocket for my trusty knife that I never left home without....... and it wasn't there. No problem says I, I've seen every single Jean Claude Vann Damme and Stephen Seagal movie hundreds of times. I was planning on fighting in the Kuma Te as soon as I could get to China, so I would just snap it's neck.

Well, I assumed the murder position behind the deer, just like Charles Bronson, and I began to twist. Now, I knew if I made a quick jerking motion, I would hear it snap, and it would die instantly, but after I couldn't get that to work, I was forced to acknowledge that my technique needed work before I fought in real death matches. No problem, I was 16, and had no doubt that I could do this. I twisted that deer's head around 2 full rotations, and was giving it all I had. After about 30 seconds in that position, my arms were burning, but I was certain he was dead, so I let him go. His head spun around like Beetlejuice about 3 rotations and he decided he would kill me with that little basket rack while screaming the most pitiful bawl you've ever heard. I shot him again, and then went home to watch bloodsport again on repeat until I figured out why my neck snapping technique wasn't as good as it should have been.

When I was 16 I was hunting somewhere that I wasn't supposed to be.... hey, I was 16, and it wasn't as big a deal then as it is now.

Anyways, just before dark I shoot a basket rack 6 pt, probably a good year old deer that would have been a giant someday, but I was 16, and nobody thought like that back then.

Hit him in the spine in the middle of his body and paralyzed his back legs. I was worried that shooting again would allow people to triangulate my position, and I couldn't have that. I reached into my pocket for my trusty knife that I never left home without....... and it wasn't there. No problem says I, I've seen every single Jean Claude Vann Damme and Stephen Seagal movie hundreds of times. I was planning on fighting in the Kuma Te as soon as I could get to China, so I would just snap it's neck.

Well, I assumed the murder position behind the deer, just like Charles Bronson, and I began to twist. Now, I knew if I made a quick jerking motion, I would hear it snap, and it would die instantly, but after I couldn't get that to work, I was forced to acknowledge that my technique needed work before I fought in real death matches. No problem, I was 16, and had no doubt that I could do this. I twisted that deer's head around 2 full rotations, and was giving it all I had. After about 30 seconds in that position, my arms were burning, but I was certain he was dead, so I let him go. His head spun around like Beetlejuice about 3 rotations and he decided he would kill me with that little basket rack while screaming the most pitiful bawl you've ever heard. I shot him again, and then went home to watch bloodsport again on repeat until I figured out why my neck snapping technique wasn't as good as it should have been.
Wow, I mean. I got nothing after this. I just ran scenarios through my head and saw them all bad. You were engaged in combat with a wild thing and learned to tell the story. Man, this brought a smile to my face as I remember what it was like to be 16 in a free America.

View attachment 320852View attachment 320851View attachment 320853View attachment 320854View attachment 320855View attachment 320856View attachment 320857View attachment 320858

Ok, well they are all out of order, but you can see what happened. This was a handful of years ago, and I never was able to verify when stick season ended in my state, so.....

All I can tell you is that it wasn't planned, and I kept taking pics as I got closer, thinking that they would run away any second. I was just trying to see how close I could get. I picked the club up off of the ground when she was sniffing my boot. One whack and it was instant death. I probably would have been a decent Neanderthal. This story is more entertaining when everyone is drunk.
I, uhm...wouldn't have done anything but watch. It wasn't like you were hunting, just came upon some rather docile deer. I would have just chilled and observed. That's me though. I've learned in life that not everything needs a reaction. :cool: Sometimes you can just take in the strange moments.

In a galaxy long ago, a friend shot a decent 10, trailed it to where it was laying. Head weaving and wobbling all over. Decided to cut throat. Jumped on bucks back, reached under neck to plunge knife. So understand he is 5'6" maybe, 140 with extra slugs in pocket. Buck jumps up and yes he stayed on the full 8 seconds. Unfortunately it was at full throttle going through a white pine stand for about 100 yds. Hanging onto antlers for dear life through entire ride. Buck collapsed, gurgled, bellowed and died. He got up and looked like he went through barb wire fence maybe 10 times! Profound statement :don't think I'll try that again.!" I only wished I was there to see it but 2 other buds were and holy cow does this come up every beer session!😂 He said "I am going to die you dumas!"
Sorry, Sir. This account is hearsay and violates the veracity of story-telling rule. LOL

I heard of a farmer in VA who was trying to untangle a young buck from barbed wire entanglement a few years back. Buck was against his fence. farmer cut wire from fence, buck took off running, farmer's leg was entangled in wire! Dear drug him all over the field for several minutes, until his 13 year old son got back with his 12 ga. slug gun, and shot the deer. Father was hospitalized! Deer in such situations can be very dangerous!!!

I, uhm...wouldn't have done anything but watch. It wasn't like you were hunting, just came upon some rather docile deer. I would have just chilled and observed. That's me though. I've learned in life that not everything needs a reaction. :cool: Sometimes you can just take in the strange moments.
Well, it's a long story, but I was hunting. I was with my hunting buddy and we had been hunting all day, and we got to the truck about dark, were driving out of our hunting spot, and 100y from the truck this group of deer was very casually standing there. I hopped out of the truck and walked after them mostly just goofing around. But then when the opportunity presented itself, I took it. I was probably in my early 20's when this happened, and it wouldn't even cross my mind to try something like this these days, but back then I was always pushing the limits.

A few years ago on last day of season.I finally hit pavement around our local lake and was touching base with my wife and this deer was instant bamb,hit him in my jacked jeep.The thing has one horn busted off and kinda other horn looked stuck in rear tire.Guy behinds big lanky dude,jumbs out and stabs him. Im like WOW,want help me load him.

Ever see the video of the guy that put "Buck Lure Doe Scent" on himself? This couple had a really nice buck that was almost tame on their property. The guy walked over to the buck. BUCK ATTACKED him and the wife kept video recording. The buck beat the hell out of him with his hooves and tried to mount him. All this while the wife just kept recording while her husband was screaming blood murder with this 200 LB Buck in RUT beating the hell out of him. After the buck stopped the man was taken to the hospital in critical condition. Almost died and ended up disfigured.
He should have just said "Honey, I have a headache." I'll bet bet it worked for the wife that was filming.