The worse time to gut a Deer.

kc

My kid got me up a friday night at 3:00am, he hit a big doe with his truck, there was little damage to the truck but the doe was an internal mess. the guts were all together ok, its the amount of Blood, she had all her blood all over the inside and having to gut her at night was real dangerous using a slick handled Buck Knife. I wish they had designed it with a rubber handle, I came close to loosing the knife inside the Deer. This blade is like a razor.

The meat will be bruised up too much to be edible. I even had a game warden confirm the same thing, after hitting two at once myself one night.

Does not sound like a good time
I have allways heard game hit by a car is not good to eat.
I would guess a worse time to gut a deer would be before you killed it.
retiredcpo

I stripped the back straps ot of a bull elk one time after an escalade hit it. There was some bruising, but 95% was just fine.

A lot of deer that are hit aren't damaged that bad. Sometimes they only suffer a broken neck or one side might not be salvageable, but just for someone to say not to bother with any road kill is pretty ridiculous when each accident is different.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts