The Taking of a Veteran.......by ME

Drew_CarreyAB

Here is the scoop from 11 NOV 06 . I was out with a buddy of mine and we were seeing lots of deer and almost all were does......we came upon 3 deer in a feild and I noticed that two were bucks. Out comes the binos, and then the spotting scope. One buck was a tad bit bigger than the other and we had to wait till he dropped his head to see the height of his rack. We hummed and hawwed for a spell till he was getting closer to the brush line and closer still he came until I dropped the hammer (uhm, 4 times....1st hit, second missed, third missed and the 4th gutted him with a THWOK that batman coulda seen) shoulda got some good pics in the feild but I was no where near a digital camera so I had to wait till the next day to snap some pics. 300WM w/190gr BTSP (Hornady) 2950fps 350+ yds but no more than 400yds BTW I had the crew truck when I shot my "veteran" Oh yah I call this the veteran because when he was walking, his back was sagging like an old man and his molars were worn down good(just our interpretation) when we looked him over..........My "veteran" goes out to our veterans and that's what the plaque will read when I get him home from the taxidermist... Sorry bout the carcass in the pic(not really a good "image" but as explained above, camera was not available.
2006_11120013.jpg

2006_11120010.jpg

Good shootin Drew!

I love hearing the THWOK at the shot!
Calling him a vet is fitting from his looks.
Thanks for the pictures--Mike

Nice buck for sure. I would rather clean up and trim out than to have to go and look. My pop always told me "send them till your sure". I will trade the cost of ammo over the time spent looking anyday.

Thanks for sharing.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.