The Nosler Hate... I don't get it.

I just wear a "BEAR FREE ZONE" sign. No gun. Those things seem to work in places like Chicago.

Seriously though folks, can't imagine why somebody would make a blanket statement like that. There isn't a bullet out there that somebody hasn't had a bad experience with and most likely it was something like shot placement or just bad luck.

I wouldn't really care for a restriction like that (asked nicely or otherwise) if my chosen bullet happens to be a Nosler.

With a strategy like that, a Model 34 22 LR will work. There is no need to carry a heavy pistol.

So, what is your endgame here? Am I not allowed to have an opinion on the matter? I've already stated I've never hunted bear, but that if I had to pick something out of my collection (that I already own) to hunt bear at 10 feet, this would be the best I could come up with.

Guides used to carry .44 Mags all the time...Rifles and pistols. I guess it's not good enough anymore? I know a lot still pack the Marlin .45-70 and .444 Marlin. Not everyone has the need/desire to own a .500 S&W.

So, what is your deal? Am I not allowed to have an opinion on the matter? I've already stated I've never hunted bear, but that if I had to pick something out of my collection to hunt bear at 10 feet, this would be the best I could come up with.

My deal? What is your deal? You can have all the opinions you want to have, even if they aren't good ones. If you have a collection, there has to be something in there better than what you picked.

My deal? What is your deal? You can have all the opinions you want to have, even if they aren't good ones. If you have a collection, there has to be something in there better than what you picked.

This is beyond stupid and pointless. Yes, my opinions are my own. We all have them, and are allowed to voice them. That's how an internet forum works. You don't have to like them, or accept them. So, the fact that you are mad about me voicing my opinions shows you are the one with the problem.

I stated what I would choose, based on what I currently have. I didn't tell anyone else they should choose it. A collection doesn't mean you have to have a whole **** gun store in your basement... :rolleyes:

They're deadly, and the follow-up shots from the pump action shotgun are better than any life insurance policy.
I've got an 870 and have thought about picking up some of the max penetration Brenneke just to compared to some others like the Remington copper solids I've been shooting.

What would you think of some of the semi auto shotguns compared to the 870? They seem dependable. Would any semi auto be worth consideration on bear?

Quite frankly the outfitters have no say in the matter of bullet choice. They can advise but have no say in the final choice of projectiles. If an outfitter will not take my $$$$ to guide me due to the fact that I hand load Nosler bullets...good 'nuff! He looses my business. Now, having said this...the client is responsible to have his firearm sighted in, be familiar and proficient with his firearm, have an appropriate cartridge to take the game he desires and be ready to accept the outcome good or otherwise. It is always good to discuss the hunt well ahead of time with a prospective outfitter regardless of the bullet choice.
Thus far my experiences with Nosler bullets have been positive. Albeit not so for the game that I have hunted. Have not had any complaints from the animals about not being dead enough. MTG
I respectfully disagree. I wouldn't guide nor hunt with anyone who chooses to shoot a brown bear with a mechanical broadhead on his arrow. I disagree with the outfitter's request to not hunt brown bear with Noslers but there are some things that guides have seen a trend of problems with and you have to respect his experience/request. If a hunter told me he was bringing mechanical broadheads on a bear hunt, I would try to talk him out of it. If he insisted then I would give him references of outfitters who didn't care about your safety.
I've seen some ****.

I can't believe the recommended gun choices here. How many have been on a successful brown bear hunt? If you go into the bush after a wounded brown bear, and he charges, one of you is going to die. Plain and simple. Are you going to tell me that if you were in the situation, where you truly have to defend yourself against a charging, wounded 1000lb grizzly, that you would choose a pistol, shotgun with fancy-shmancy slugs or a 45-70??? I've track both wounded black and brown bears. They want nothing more than to see you first and kill you. Good luck.

Man, the internet is a dangerous place.

I can't believe the recommended gun choices here. How many have been on a successful brown bear hunt? ...shotgun with fancy-shmancy slugs ?? I've track both wounded black and brown bears. They want nothing more than to see you first and kill you. Good luck.

I've hunted brown, grizzly, and black bear, successfully multiple times on each species. If the distance is 10yds and I have to stop a death charge, it's a 12gauge Rem 870 with the fancy-shmancy slugs - if you're referring to the 1 3/8oz Brenneke Special Forces Maximum Barrier Penetration slugs. Brenneke slugs are the standard and respected load for bear guards in my part of Alaska, where the bear guard is only there to stop the bears as a last resort, at point blank range. It's the standard of choice for the local F&G officer when called out to respond to bear complaint problems, which can result in a bear killing. You must be hunting D-8 Cats on Afognak if your sniveling at this firearm, with these slugs.

I'm not alleging this firearm and slug is the best choice for hunting brown bear where shots are at longer yardage. The scenario posed was a 10' Brown Bear in the alders at 10 feet. It's my first choice for a bear stopper when the bear is up in my face and the bear dies, or I die.

Last edited:
How many have you shot using that combo?

I've never shot a bear, but out of my collection, that would be best option I could come up with for a 10 foot encounter with a ****ed off grizzly.

never a grizzly , just black bear. 2 using 300 gr JHP . i will probably never be able to afford a grizzly hunt, so i just dont count them in the mix.

I never heard of the Special Forces slug before and I have very little experience with slugs in general but I looked it up on their website, very impressive and with 3575 lbs of energy at the muzzle it would be hard to beat for an up close stopper, that's a huge hunk of metal moving fairly quickly and I would think it would have some serious bone smashing ability, I can see why a guide in the alders would use one !

for close range on grizzly id have to say my choice would be .458 socom. a 16 inch barreled AR with 300 grs of barnes tripple x filled in a mag should do the trick.

those Brenneke Special Forces slugs look very impressive though.

I've hunted brown, grizzly, and black bear, successfully multiple times on each species. If the distance is 10yds and I have to stop a death charge, it's a 12gauge Rem 870 with the fancy-shmancy slugs - if you're referring to the 1 3/8oz Brenneke Special Forces Maximum Barrier Penetration slugs. Brenneke slugs are the standard and respected load for bear guards in my part of Alaska, where the bear guard is only there to stop the bears as a last resort, at point blank range. It's the standard of choice for the local F&G officer when called out to respond to bear complaint problems, which can result in a bear killing. You must be hunting D-8 Cats on Afognak if your sniveling at this firearm, with these slugs.

I'm not alleging this firearm and slug is the best choice for hunting brown bear where shots are at longer yardage. The scenario posed was a 10' Brown Bear in the alders at 10 feet. It's my first choice for a bear stopper when the bear is up in my face and the bear dies, or I die.
I certainly respect your experience and opinion. Sorry if I came across as a sniveler.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.