The New Hornady A-tip match bullet

So I'm sure I will get a bunch of crap for saying this but I'm going to anyway. I am not a fan of hornady. I went to their factory tour a year ago and right when I walked in the "showroom" I saw Trophies and plaques everywhere and I looked and looked for one that said 1st place. Lots of seconds and thirds though. I tried like hell to get 162 eldms to shoot out of a 7mm 08 Ackley and I found the weirdest thing with them I can't explain. I would load 5 rounds. 3 of the five would be just where I wanted them for speed and accuracy but the other 2 would go where they wanted and I would have bad pressure signs and they were going way faster than the other 3. I figured my charge master was on the fritz so I started dumping 5 charges and weigh them all 3 or 4 times and come up with the same thing. I was so sick that I messed something up in the chambering of my rifle that I almost abandoned the whole project. Then I got a box of 160 gr tipped match kings. Same cases powder charge primer. And with the mks it worked perfectly. So what's up with that? Not to mention the not so great quality of the 6.5 gap brass so I don't know. I guess I just haven't had good luck with hornady. Seems like everyone else does so I guess I'm not gonna spend that much o stuff that I don't know if it will even work.

Am I seeing the meplats flat instead of pointed? Couldn't they have squeezed a bit more B.C. out of these if the meplats were pointed?

Yes flat. Flat in most cases has better BC then pointed. A meplat is flat. There's just differant sizes of meplats. A pointed bullet to my understanding does not have a meplat. A meplat is the flat end of the Ogive or nose.

For some reason a flat tip has better aerodynamics then the pointed tip. Infact objects that fly over mach 5 have a meplat for cutting the air better.

This is my understanding.

In a 300RUM would a 28" barrel be better than a 26" with the 250grs?

Thanks
idcwby

Go over to Hornandys site and run there numbers with the 300 PRC with the 250 and 230, you have to get beyond 1100 yards before you see any gain with the 250.

I got this directly from Hornady back on the 3rd:

Hornady 6.5mm 135gr A-Tip
OAL: 1.380"
Bearing surface: 0.408"
Aluminum tip: 0.155"

Hornady 6.5mm 153gr A-Tip:
OAL: 1.500"
Bearing surface: 0.530"

I got this directly from Hornady back on the 3rd:

Hornady 6.5mm 135gr A-Tip
OAL: 1.380"
Bearing surface: 0.408"

Hornady 6.5mm 153gr A-Tip:
OAL: 1.500"
Bearing surface: 0.530"
Running those number through Bergers stability calc, the 153 is borderline at sea level with an 8 twist, and creedmoor speeds. I don't see the 153 being of much value in that small of a case, but I'm sure someone does!

While I realize that the 153 gr. A-tip is new, does anyone have actual data as to how well this bullet traverses the transonic region?

I don't see the 153 being of much value in that small of a case, but I'm sure someone does!
This is why I'm saying untill you get a ways past 1,000 yards these new heavier bullets aren't gonna gain anything for a hunting situation. Its gonna take 3300 speeds for 6.5's and the big booming 30 cals to benefit the bullets heavier than 215.

I think the 6.5-284 will drive a 153 at 3000+ easily. I've always run the 140 class bullets around 3025-3050. If the numbers hold true on the 153s and pushed around 3000 fps, they'll be very impressive. Accuracy is what will matter tho. Sure 3300 would be very impressive but not thinking you'll get it from 284 brass. 7WSM would be closer but will still fall short. The 26 Nosler will push it well beyond 3300.

Stepping up to a 162 from a 140 in a 280AI I lost 140 FPS I bet you will lose atleast 75 fps maybe 100.
Maybe Lance will chim in on what he lost stepping up to the 150 Sierra from 140

Stepping up to a 162 from a 140 in a 280AI I lost 140 FPS I bet you will lose atleast 75 fps maybe 100.
Maybe Lance will chim in on what he lost stepping up to the 150 Sierra from 140
Definitely so. I think the higher ballistic coefficient numbers will still benefit that loss if your plan is to use the rifle for 1000 yard plus shooting. Not as much for drop but definitely for wind. Again, accuracy trumps velocity and BC. I shoot 162s in my 284 and dropping down to a 140 is a definite disadvantage. Even if I gained 200 fps, the loss you suffer BC isn't worth the velocity gain. That difference would be a little less between the 140 and 153 and even tho I didn't run the numbers between them, I think the advantage goes to the 153 if that BV number holds true. Again, that's with the larger case 284 and not a 308 size case.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.