The "Ideal" LR Hunting Reticle?

Personally I would like to see both focal planes used.

Imagine, if you will, German #4 posts in the second plane,

Then in the first plane, hashed mil with open center or open center and a .1 mil dot

Wouldn't that be somethin'?

Would be neat, but if you wanted to be able to dial it and have them move together two erector assemblies adjusting simultaneously would be quite the challenge mechanically I'm sure.

For only going to 600ish yds. on most of my coyote rigs honestly I like the Burris Ballistic Plex and Varmint Hunter reticles. Very few issues applying them for trajectory compensation (subtension calculations) as well as rangefinding.

Just want to point out a few things about grid type reticals.

Those with dedicated wind dots are still fixed horizontally spread reference points. Any reticle with a multiple extended x-axis ref along the center Y-axis line type (xmas tree ) can be used that way you just have to work out the ref. They also if you use a quick formula are not accurate enough in situation.

The human eye and brain tends to not like go grids we do better being drawn to a central cross section.

The main initial reason grids have become popular is because of military theater. If this was the '60s-'80s where the theater was eastern asia and central america they would not have been. One of the main benefits comes from being able to spot misses and adjust this requires enough of a distrubance to be seen at distance i.e. dust/dirt kick up as tends to be seen in mostly arid conditions.

The other is type of shooting high/low stress under degree of time

IMO tree reticles are the blending of the two and give a good balance.

Frankly if you take away corrections from being able to spot misses you can be highly effective with any including dialing for elevation and hold for wind standard mil/moa line single X/Y ret, if you train, which is required for any ret syatem if you want to be proficient. It also fits well with human eye bring naturally drawn to a center focus point.

Seen plenty of people miss count(get lost) in a grid ret.

Last edited:
I'm liking the meopta mrad reticle so far. I have the 4.5-27x50 optika 6 and it passes everything I've tried in the 1000$ and under scopes. Probably passes a lot of 12-1500$ as well.
228DD508-8187-4351-858D-2FB80E5B4936.png

Last edited:
I have several that I've come to like out in the field...
Leupold varmint hunter
Leupold Boone and Crockett
Swarovski BRH
Burris Veracity Ballistic E1 (FFP)

Get yourself the Strelok app on your phone and fire away. All my shots are under 600 yds. I've done very well with the combo.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.