How would you spec the ideal rangefinder for LR purposes?

Ernie

SPONSOR
If you could build a laser rangefinder the way you wanted to, what would it be like?
Magnification?
Optic Quality?
Effective range on game?
Extra features?
Size?

If you could build a laser rangefinder the way you wanted to, what would it be like?
Magnification? variable 6-20
Optic Quality? better than schmidt and Bender
Effective range on game? 3,000 yds
Extra features? internal programable balistics program that gives you MOA to dial in
Size? to fit in my shirt pocket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif okey so I'm dreaming ..but it's a good dream. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Oh' ya' for under $1,000
308nate

I'm easy to please. 8x or 10x binocs w/a small aiming dot (not donut). Effective on deer sized game out to about 2000 yds. Yeah, I'd like it to range a pd @ two miles, but lets keep it real. Oh, and it must have a tripod adaptor. I guess all that true ballistic crap would be nice as well.

range finding binos
with how many clicks for the shot.
10 x 42 mag
swaro lens
small aiming point
1500 yard (and should range this far)
and $1000

ill take 3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I also like the idea of the option of a pair of binoculars.
I have such good binocs now (Zeiss 7x42 high brightness) that I don't need another pair (I guess I could sell them). I would want a rangefinder that has high quality optics (variable power-hadn't thought of that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). It needs to be able laser "game animals" to a minimum of 1200 yards (realistically 1500 yards) under ALL conditions. That means under ideal conditions you could laser animals close to 2k.
Bare bones requirements:
Quality optics/1500 yards on game/10-14x magnification/suitable for tri-pod use.
Everything else would be icing on the cake

My choice would be the current Swarovski with a couple upgrades. Optics are very good, a bino would be great but would add alot of weight and $$$

What I would do is change the aiming system to a fine crosshair retical with an open dot center. Similiar to the center of the Leupold TMR or IOR MP-8 scope reticle.

This would be lazer etched just like a rifle scope reticle and with the illumination option just like the upper end tactical scopes, Nightforce, IOR and such so the intensity can be adjusted for different light conditions.

No need for the extra hashes like the TMR or MP-8, just want the fine main crosshair with floating center dot.

More importantly, the rangefinder should be tuned to range the exact spot that the dot was pointing to!!!

Other then that I would change the power from 8x to 10x. More would be nice at times but in low light conditions you would run out of light for accurate ranging. 10x would be a good balance of higher mag power and good light transmission.

As far as ranging ability, the other night I was out shooting with my Dad. I was getting consistant +1650 yard readings inclined, bare grass hill sides. Repeatable as well.

I also got several readings at longer ranges and two that measured 1965 and 1967 yards again on an inclined bare grass covered hill side. The sun had just dropped behind some clouds but it was still quite light out.

I have no complaints about the performance of my Swari. Would just like a bit finer aiming system and a bit more power.

Kirby Allen(50)

Heck, pretty much everything listed above would be awesome. The only thing I would add is have a separate power button, that way the button to shoot the laser could be made to work like a rifle trigger - only a light press needed and that it would break like a glass rod. The buttons on the rangefinders now are too heavy for really accurate long range finding.

For true long range shooting, well past the 1k mark I would love to see a spotting scope with ranging capabilites. Something along the lines of what Kirby mentioned in the reticle and illumination ablitity.

Have the trigger be like a rifle trigger, so crisp it didnt effect the image stability. Maybe something like the Rem Etronx trigger.

use the variable power of the spotter to be able to zoom into a very specific spot and the pull the trigger without the image moving and a PRECISE range would be the result.

this probably wont happen so until then the Swaro will work great, though i wish they would change the aimpoint.

steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts